Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing, JA0474..............

The eagle has landed!

Ok, I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb and I have played it, but not through an amp yet. Lets get to some pics (sorry about the crappy pics the sun isn't out so I couldn't take it outside.) I'll list the spec below the pics.

Here are the specs...

Three piece flamed maple neckthrough archtop with mahogany wings and 3/4 quilted maple top

24-3/4 scale
    24 jumbo frets
    oiled (non painted) neck back
    ebony fretboard
    ivroid bound neck and headstock
    single abalone sharkie at the 12th
    abalone logo
    Dimarzio HFH in the neck and Super 3 in the bridge, zebra bobbins
    1 vol
    5 way super switch (pos 1 - bridge hum, pos 2 - bridge/neck spit single, pos 3 - bridge/neck hum, pos 4 - neck split, pos 5 - neck hum

San Dimas electronics cavity route

TOM/string through in a v pattern

Early PC-1 rootbeer stain (by Dan Lawrence) with natural binding.

Standard strap buttons
    standard tuners
    bone nut 1-11/16"
    KV-2 neck profile (.830 at the 12th fret)

Here's my quick review. This guitar turned out incredible. It's everything I had hoped it would be. It has a nice accoustic tone (loud) and has noticable sustain. The one thing I thought I would have changed was the KV neck profile. I was into thinner (but not wizard) necks when I ordered it, but it's not that bad. It feels like a typical soloist and thats cool with me. This guitar feels at home in your hands very organic and almost has a broken in feel to it. I got it to play, it's not going to be a closet queen so I feel that it's going to be hard to keep the oiled neck clean.

Now the bad. There is a finish crack where the maple top meets the maple neck at the neck joint.

Words cannot describe how dissapointed I am with Jackson. This is the third brand new USA Jackson that I have bought in two years that has had some kind of finish defect. Do I send it back? I've been down that road before. They had my trans black SLATQH for months, sent it back to me with an unacceptable repair. they had for a few more months and then decided it was best to just replace the guitar. I wish I never sent that trans black SLATQH back. It was a good one.

I really, really love this guitar and it's sad that has to come without me being 100% satisfied.

My options?

1) Go to my local Fender dertified repair guy have him check it out and send it back and wait and wonder if I will go through what I went through last time.

2) Just live with it.

This will be my last brand new Jackson.

I will make this one last point. Scott from Vwall has been an exceptional dealer to have throughout this whole process (and I was a major pain in the ass!) He is already on top of this situation (that is by no fault of his) and is ready to do whatever it is I need him to do. He has been top notch with all the new Jacksons I have purchased through him.

If you want a new Jackson or anything else he sells, contact him. You won't be dissapointed with his service. This guy is top notch all the way.

Thanks again Scott!
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Introducing, JA0474..............

Scott Vwall is a cool cat for sure. The guitar looks beautiful. Sorry about the defect though.

The following is just my opinion. If it were mine, I'd only have 2 options.

1) Live with it.
    2) Return it for a FULL refund.

None of that send it back and wait another 6 months shit. Not for me.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.
      And I'm with you all the way on this!
      I cant believe it myself. What a shame to have to continue to go thru the same pattern on these guitars.
      Hopefully Jackson will be expedient with the process if you send it back.....

Comment

Congrats on a beautyful axe [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        Dig the string-thru V.
        [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

But the crack......
        I´m really sorry, that really scares me now, we´ve seen to many Jacksons with that kind of shit lately.
        It´s not funny waiting for a year or more, spending a lot of money...

Comment

Hard to tell how bad it is from the pic. Assuming it's as bad as I think it is, I'd send it back.

Gorgeous guitar otherwise. What a damn shame. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

not to minimalize it, but it's not into the wood. It's just the finish. I imagine it will travel at least a little.

And another note, no binder with photo cd as promised by Jackson.

Comment

That is pretty! How long did it take, all told?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's just at about 18 months. Quite honestly, It was worth the wait aside from the finish crack. I managed to forget about it for the most part of last year. I've been playing it through the POD. Man, the setup is nice out of the box and I'm ususally picky about the setup. Nice work Scott!

Comment

You're very welcome sir!
                  The set up was a pleasure- I was rather pleased with it myself... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a sweet looking guitar. I don't think I would choose to send one like that back for a finish crack, although I can imagine the disappointment in discovering it after waiting so long. Maybe you could let it cure for a while and then have it fixed. Congrats though, that is a beautiful collection.

Comment

The crack gives it some character, and you won't cry the first time you scratch it. Keep it. Play it. Enjoy it. Even the finest sometimes have flaws. That is a kick ass guitar, you won't notice the crack when you are wailing away.

I would ask for some money back, perhaps. But I wouldn't return it for more aggravation.

My take on it.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

The guitar is beautiful, the crack in the finish not so much. Lets just say I'd be dissapointed too.

Comment

Thanks guys. I highly doubt I will send it back. Like I said, I've been down that road before and it wasn't a fun ride. This guitar kicks major ass. I don't want to be without it. I'll see how I feel in a few days.

Comment

<font color="aqua">what a beautiful guitar, Jim. You have excellent taste in design, she turned out fantastic.

I'm very sorry about the crack, may I ask how it was packed? There have been so many friggin horror stories lately, it's disgusting. Cherish that baby, I would'nt even think about sending it back to them.

Congrats to you, my friend - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Could the crack have happened during transportation? I would think if Jackson saw that they wouldn't have sent it out - at least I hope they wouldn't.

If you flip guitars a lot, I wouldn't keep it. That crack will kill the resale value.

Comment

Working...
                              X