Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many guys here have had shrinking ebony probs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many guys here have had shrinking ebony probs?

Just curious? How many have had frets rise, and or had issues with their ebony shrinking? Ive never had that happen on rosewood, but I had one with a slight case of it, and my pal has a carvin guitar that had his Ebony shrink and the frets REALLY went for a raise.

Is thAT Something that happens quickly, or fronm neglect in terms of lack of oiling?!? Ive always kept mine oiled, but im worried about buying another soloist off Ebay to see risen frets and such.

Chime in yee o' ebony issues!

[img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Re: How many guys here have had shrinking ebony probs?

I've never had that problem and 99% of my guitars have ebony boards. Then again I oil them periodically as to avoid such problems. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

bonghits-

How often is "periodically"? My next guitar will have an ebony board, and I want to maintain it as well as I can.
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

That hideous fretboard that I posted pics of last year with the white stains & rusty frets was ebony circa 1990. After cleaning & oiling the fretboard and polishing the rust off of the frets it played like butta, not a fret problem in sight.

I had a Gibson Explorer from the late 80s that had dozens of cracks in the fretboard but the frets were still level (a bit rusty when I got it so they'd not been done in some time).

I also have an '85 RR that I bought new back then. I don't think I've ever oiled the fretboard and it has no cracks or fret issues.

Lots & lots & lots of other ebony here but I rarely have fret issues and when I do it's usually on things I've just acquired that haven't been maintained.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          bonghits-

How often is "periodically"? My next guitar will have an ebony board, and I want to maintain it as well as I can.

[/ QUOTE ]I usually oil my fretboards once every six months. Just me though and so far it's been working great. I have a 2001 SL2H where the fretboard is still nice and dark after 6 years of playing. No cracks or shrinkage of any kind whatsoever. But I also store my guitars in the case if it's not being played to lessen the effects of sudden temperature changes and fluctuations. Not to mention wiping the whole guitar down after each session. I'm just psycho like that I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

And I do understand that it's rock n' roll and not a beauty pageant but I treat my this way for two reasons: 1) If you're good to your guitar, then it's gonna be good to you. 2) I respect the skillful hands that built them and this is my way of showing that

Comment

I have quite a few ebony boards with no issues (knock on wood). Some have been through major climate changes without getting oiled for years.

Comment

That's the difference between Really Aged wood and wet ones. That's why older guitars are better. The moisture level in all the newer guitars is a major issue. That's why your necks warp and shrink. I am amazed that anyone would spend thousands of bucks without knowing how old the wood is or whether it was age dried or kiln dryed or not dryed at all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Re: How many guys here have had shrinking ebony pr

I recently chatted with a fellow who had a newer USA JAckson, and mentioned he had a hump in his neck develope. Thats not encouraging when your in the used market.

After seeing that one thread about the fellow who received the archtop in such poor shape, it worries me. Id likely only feel comfortable buying off someone reputable on the board here!

Comment

WHat kind of oil do you guys use for this?

Comment

Lemon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

A nice 10w30. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

3-in-1 oil when I'm out of Hopp's gun cleaning oil. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

J/K...lemon oil here also.

Comment

I have a Shrink situation on my SLATQH. The ebony board shrunk a bit leaving nasty sharp fret edges all alongthe binding!

Comment

Funny mf's out there...thanks. I have never used it on any boards and have not had issues like that before

Comment

Working...
                              X