Quilts versus Flames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilts versus Flames

From reading the board the last few months, it's obvious that people go gaga over quilt tops. Is there anyone out there that prefers flametops? I'm not too hot on the quilts (though I may have one soon, but that's another story). The quilt tops look like, well, quilts, and that doesn't exactly make me think of rocknroll.

Re: Quilts versus Flames

I generally love quilts, but to my eyes they look wrong on a Les Paul, so I'd go for a flame in that case....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Depends on the guitar. On a Rhoads or King V, I prefer flame. On other shapes, I'm indifferent. I have a trans black DK2M on the way (flamed), but wouldn't be opposed to quilted.

Actually, my preference would be just a trans finish over the body wood, without a maple top or veneer. Ash is my favorite for transparent finishes.
      sigpic

Comment

Quilts look awesome on the right guitar. I wouldn't want a USA Bich for example with a flame top. They look better with quilt tops. Les Pauls on the other hand look better with flame. I generally prefer flame, and think that some companies (ahem PRS) overdo it with the quilt tops.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I like 'em both.

Comment

Eh,

A nice piece of wood is a nice piece of wood, quilt or flame

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Both are cool! But flames usually go well with guitars that are more angular(pointy) and quilts flow better with the rounder shapes.Usually... <----*flame retarder* [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The quilt tops look like, well, quilts, and that doesn't exactly make me think of rocknroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a plain top says Rock n' Roll the best. I like both quilt and flame depending on the guitar. If I had to go with a flame, it we be a broad-striped flame.

Comment

I guess I have to get used to them. I think the natural quilts look best.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Eh,

A nice piece of wood is a nice piece of wood, quilt or flame

[/ QUOTE ]

+1....here is my les paul 59 reissue its kind of a quilty flame

But here is a shot of My SL2HT flame top in Chlorine that Mr Kev was nice enough to sell me. Be careful on pics of Flame and quilt tops they are hard to determine from a picture and people have several tricks to make them look better in pics. For example the pics of the Soloist I took in a pitch black room and turned the flash on in order to get the top to show like that. Its always better to see it in person if possible

Comment

I prefer flames.

Comment

That's a good shot of the SL
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Damn kevin, that SD reissue you have is Sweeeeeeeet! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Damn kevin, that SD reissue you have is Sweeeeeeeet! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

Does anyone actually agree on what the terms quilt, flame, and curly mean? I was talking to some wood vendors at NAMM and not all of them agreed on the terms. I was taking to one with Neal Moser and they were going back and forth. No that's quilt. Well we used to call it fiddleback. Really? I call it curly...

Comment

Working...
                              X