Quilts versus Flames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quilts versus Flames

gorgeous! Is it just the way they do the neck thrus or is that a set neck? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Typically when you see natural backed neck thrus you see the neck wood running through the body of the guitar.

Comment

It is a regular SL2H flame natural and it is a neck thru. I don`t know how they match them up so well, but they do!! I hope my all mahogany CS Soloist tirns out this nice. Jack.

Comment

I don't think its a matter of matching it up, looking at it now if looks like what Jackson uses is a centerblock with less thickness than the wings that the neck thru is attached to. They only seem to do this with 1 piece neck thru though, I have seen some 3 piece and laminate necks on the custom shop gallery where you saw the neck all the way through the back. But all the 1 piece necks appear to have this medium thickness centerblock. Thats just a guess but if you look closely you can see the back is made up of 3 pieces of mahogany and the center piece lines up precisely with the neck thru. Thats an interesting construction technique. it certainly gives it a more cosmetic look.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of figured wood in general, I prefer plainer wood or very subtle figuring. I definitly prefer flame to quilt though.

Comment

It's definitely a neck-thru. If you look at it closely you can see where the body wings join to the neck. It's especially noticeable towards the edge of the body right above the strap button. It does like the neck has an oil finish. Is that the case Jack?

Comment

The neck on the Natural SL2H is painted and not oiled. Just looks like it is.
              "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

The neck is just clear coated, no paint or oil. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  That's hot[/paris hilton]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                  X