Comparison between USA Rhoads and Soloists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison between USA Rhoads and Soloists

I guess this would mostly be a question for those of you who own both a USA Rhoads and a Soloist. I've played a Soloist, never a USA Rhoads, but always wanted to get one. What can you tell me about the differences in balance, tone, and playability between the two. Aside from sentimental value, which one do you like better as a raw guitar. Thanks,

Re: Comparison between USA Rhoads and Soloists

Sorry. I've played a Rhoads, but never a soloist LOL!

Comment

Well thanks for weighing in, Don! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave, as far as tone goes, I'm sure you are aware that lots of factors will affect it, ie bridge, body wood, pickups.

USA Rhoads have 22 frets, and the upper ones aren't as accessible as on a Soloist, which usually has 24. So if you plan on spending a lot of "meedley meedley" time that is something to consider. Also IMO I prefer the Soloist heel design...it is very smooth & flowing, whereas the Rhoads is fairly "blocky" comparitively.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Soloist heel:

Rhoads heel:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A Rhoads hardly feels like it their when its strapped on, due to the way its long fin sits back. Seems like their is less in the way of your playing...

Comment

As far as balance and general performance ergonomics I prefer a soloist as to me it balances correctly and it doesn't have the tendancy to 'roll' forward. Also, you don't have to worry about turning round and clocking the top fin into something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Having said that, my favourite 'shape' is the XTRR which is basically a slightly downsized rear loaded Rhoads....Maybe it's the shorter top wing, but I don't find those problems with an XTRR.....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah, That damn point on the Rhoads hits everything! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I have owned 2 Rhoads before and sold them both, they just feel wrong to me and just didn`t do it for me. The Soloist fits me like a glove, feels very natural. Jack.

Comment

I have a RR1t and and SL1.
                  The Differences I have noticed are:
                  1. Neck thickness, The RR1 seems to have a larger neck and more girth around the shoulder.
                  2. The SL1 is a faster "feeling" guitar.
                  3. The RR1 placement when sitting pushes the headstock higher and makes for fretting hand changes.
                  4. The point on the RR1 does hit everything.
                  5. The RR1 knob placement seems less intrusive than the SL1.
                  6. The SL1 upper register access is sublime, the RR1, not so much.

Hope that helps.
                  Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Also take into consideration the control plate on the Rhoads. I hate the feeling when my fingernails scratch against it.
                    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Also take into consideration the Rhoads is the coolest guitar on the planet.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Also take into consideration the Rhoads is the coolest guitar on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I have both and .... well, I love my Rhoads, actually very nice sounding and it is refreshingly different to play. Having said this, Soloists are better balanced, more practical, simply convenient. Neck is slimmer, 24 frets. If I was to have only one guitar and it needed to be Jackson, I'm afraid I would have taken a good Soloist. Otherwise great to have both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've had both and the only way to decide what's for you is to spend time with both of them. I personally love the RR shape, it balances perfectly for me. The necks are about the same until the upper frets, I think.

Comment

My observations

1) RR has more upper midrange presence and overall more focused tone. For tight riffage its a bit bettet than Soloist. SL has overall bigger tone. In many aspects for me RR vs SL comparison is like SG vs LP.

2) Neck PU on RR sounds more "neck", because of 22 frets vs 24 on SL. (even when I replaced SH1 with SH2 on my soloist)

3) SL has better cleans (well SH1 adds to it, but even with SH2 it's still so) and more rich lead tone on bridge.

4) SL has obviously better upper fret access, though it's not an issue for me on RR.

5) SL is obviously going easier to play seated for an average guy.

6) RR has more even balance while standing and is most conveninent for those who prefer keep headstock on the eyes level and the bridge on the balls level %)

7) Neck profile are basically the same. I mean specs are the same, but as long as USA Jacksons are hand-crafred it may vary a notch even within the same model.

I see RR as a perfect complemention to Soloist
                              Because I don't say it
                              Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Working...
                              X