RR 1 Rhoads/Ozzy tribute question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR 1 Rhoads/Ozzy tribute question

Ok , so I have not seen or heard an RR 1 in person. This will most likely be my second guitar purchase ever (or a PC-1, not sure which to buy first but I would like to have both someday) My question is, do those of you that have an RR 1 think that it really sounds as good or at least very similar to the tone on the legendary Rhoads/Ozzy tribute album? IMHO it is the best live guitar recording ever. Hell, it's the only Ozzy album I own. I just was wondering cuz I don't know the first thing about a Floyd, only that I want to learn, and so I feel silly trying to mess with one in the store because I don't have mad guitar skills...yet.
    Last edited by cerealkiller; 04-01-2006, 07:00 PM.

I hate Randy's tone, always did. However, having said that, it depends on your pickups, and even more on what you're pluggin the guitar into.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Waits for lightning to strike... lol Zeegler what is your avatar?
      Last edited by cerealkiller; 04-01-2006, 07:34 PM.

Comment

The RR1 is an awesome guitar, one of the best on the planet.

It can sound as good as Randy if you're a great player, but it can sound equally horrible if you suck.

If you want to sound like Randy, you will need to practice 1.2 million hours and buy a Marshall amp....and having an RR1 will help too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdshadravan
          The RR1 is an awesome guitar, one of the best on the planet.

It can sound as good as Randy if you're a great player, but it can sound equally horrible if you suck.

If you want to sound like Randy, you will need to practice 1.2 million hours and buy a Marshall amp....and having an RR1 will help too.
          good point

Comment

I could be wrong about this but I thought I'd read somewhere (here) that Randy never even played those guitars live. I think he mostly played a couple of Gibsons, a LPC and a V.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he ONLY played them live, and maybe on the diary album, since they were not built when Blizzard was recorded.

An RR1 will more or less nail that tone with a marshall head and an overdrive like an SD1 in front of it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego
                I could be wrong about this but I thought I'd read somewhere (here) that Randy never even played those guitars live. I think he mostly played a couple of Gibsons, a LPC and a V.
                There are several videos of Randy playing his Jacksons live.

Comment

You could most certainly sound like Randy w/ an RR1 or likely w/ another style as well. It will depend on amp, pickups, & your particular attack & skill level.
                  I would say base your decision more on what you want the guitar to be able to do/play:
                  PC1 will have more versatility, RR1 will definately get loud & sound good.
                  KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                  I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Also factor in that the RR is the coolest shape ever by far. It's also the most comfortable to play for me, others will differ you should try it for yourself

Comment

I could be wrong about this but I thought I'd read somewhere (here) that Randy never even played those guitars live.
                      This is a myth that I think started when the Rhoads prototype (the white "shortwing" with the pinstripes) was on exhibition last. The plaque next to it stated that it was never played live. Whoever wrote that text just didn't have his facts straight.

Comment

Tribute was recorded using mostly the Les Paul, two songs on the Sandavol V and two (Eb) on his white Jackson.
                        Randy played the black Jackson on the Diary tour a bit.

Comment

Live and learn. I must not have read that thread carefully enough. Cools pictures in that one too. I'll have to go back and revisit it.

Comment

On the Tribute CD itself ( at least the remastered one ) and underneath the CD he is in a live pose playing his short wing.
                            Last edited by cerealkiller; 04-02-2006, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X