My first Jackson!...part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Jackson!...part 2

Well, my other thread was getting old, and no pics worked(due to my lack of knowledge on sharing them), so I may as well share some. They are oldish, crappy, but it still is my new guitar. Enjoy!

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/JACKS0NESP/

If this doesn't work, I'll have to shoot myself in the foot.

The Silver Swirl is very cool. Congrats!!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

action looks absolutely PEGGED! THAT i like!

nice guitar.

Comment

Awesome first Jackson.
        If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
          The Silver Swirl is very cool. Congrats!!
          +1

Comment

The only problem is fret buzz. I tried raising the action...does it still.
            maybe the locking nut is too low, and making the strings hit the first fret-which this looks to be the problem..

If not, the neck may be warped.However this is not likely, as I looked at it and it didnt seem to be warped, but I might as well eventually get a pro to look at it more closely, just to be sure.

Other than that, I put some new strings on it, and it owns.

Comment

The silver swirl kicks ass!

Comment

Also, I am going to clean it like a bitch when I change the strings next time(about a month or so). What polishes, fretboard conditioner, etc do you recommend? Do you recommend fretboard conditioners/cleaners for different woods??

What about the simple way of using furniture polish/ windex?

Comment

Yeah...duh...Thanks for the positive feedback!!

Comment

Is the fret buzz on the lower frets or the higher frets?

Fret buzz on the higher frets can generally be ameliorated by raising the bridge.

Fret buzz on the lower frets is probably caused by your neck not having enough relief. Here's how you can check and adjust the relief of your neck.

Fret your low E string at the first fret with a finger from your left hand. While keeping it fretted at the first fret, fret the low E string at the 12th fret with your right pinky. Then reach with the index finger of your right hand and press the string down onto the 7th fret. If there's no space between the string and the 7th fret with the string being fretted at both the 1st and 12th frets, you don't have enough relief. Loosen your truss rod an 1/8 of a turn. Truss rod adjustments usually don't affect the bow of the neck immediately, so leave your guitar overnight, with the strings tuned to pitch.

Check again the next day, and repeat the truss rod adjustment if necessary.

If fret buzz persists after loosening your truss rod 3/8 of a turn, take it to a pro, as there may be other issues.

The above info is from Dan Erlewine's "How to make your Electric Guitar play GREAT!" I highly recommend getting a copy for yourself.

Regarding fretboard conditioners/cleaners/polish, I use Dr. Duck's Axe Wax. I've had the same little bottle for years, because you only need to use a couple of drops at each polishing.

Hope this helps!
                    -QR
                    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

If the locking nut is too low, just need to add a shim under it. As for truss rod adjustments, it's an easy task if you know what you are doing; if not, send it to a tech. trying to destroy a neck on a guitar that cost over a grand ain't that great an idea...

Almost forgot, very nice sliver Swirl. Reminds me of my old Eerie dess KE2 & SL1..

Fong

Comment

Weird pic angles
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I think I will send it to a tech. There is supposedly a really good one around here who I could send it to. Not that the advice is bad here, but yeah, I don't want to wreck this guitar

I'll look up Dr.Duck's also.

Yeah, I know they are wierd angled pics, but I'll try to get better ones soon!

Comment

Well, it didn't take too long..cough**2 weeks**cough, but here are a few more quick pics I took today if anyone cares. Btw, the neck was warped slightly, but fixed now.

And I've never cleaned it, ever. If you are picky about finger marks, get silver swirl! :P

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...al&media=image

should work.

Comment

super guitar .. cong..

Comment

Working...
                              X