Caring for KV2 neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caring for KV2 neck

I'm a beginning hobbyist so I apologize for any real beginner basic questions that may irritate you.

I've had the guitar for a few months and don't do anything but play it.

Are there any maintenance issues besides wiping it down with a towel after playing?

I've heard that the ebony fretboard will crack if you don't put a conditioner on it regularly.

Is that true and what is the conditioner?

yep, it's good to oil the fretboard about every 3-4 months. I use Dunlop 02 fretboard conditioner with good results. Just apply it on fretboard when changing string, wait for a few minutes and wipe off the excess.There are also many other brands out there, but everything is pretty much the same stuff - lemon oil.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon
      I'm a beginning hobbyist so I apologize for any real beginner basic questions that may irritate you.
      No prob slob! You may also want to check out this "sticky" thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have trouble getting to the fretboard through the strings. Do you loosen all the strings so you can get your fingers under there to put the oil on? I worry about the effects of loosening the strings too much.

Comment

Loosening them will be fine. You can even take all the strings off and just oil it at your next string change. Don't worry about it affecting anything.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When applying the lemon oil, use your girlfriends toothbrush to get the finger-mung off the neck. Keeps the black nice and even on a ebony fingerboard.

Just curious since we are on the subject, polishing frets? What is the best way?
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

i thought ebony was relatively zero maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
                i thought ebony was relatively zero maintenance
                Nope. It is more prone to cracking and less oily than rosewood.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have trouble getting to the fretboard through the strings. Do you loosen all the strings so you can get your fingers under there to put the oil on? I worry about the effects of loosening the strings too much.
                  I pop off the floyd and condition the fretboard. When I'm done I put the floyd back on and dont have to worry about dialing the floyd back in as it pretty much goes back to the exact same set up as it had before I take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyM
                    I pop off the floyd and condition the fretboard. When I'm done I put the floyd back on and dont have to worry about dialing the floyd back in as it pretty much goes back to the exact same set up as it had before I take it off.
                    Are the strings still attached to the floyd when you pop it off?

Comment

Are the strings still attached to the floyd when you pop it off?
                      Yes.
                      The setup (as well as the strings) remain intact.

To take the OFR off you have to remove the 3 springs on the back.
                      Once you do that the whole unit comes out of the guitar.
                      Putting it back on is just as easy.

Comment

I don't understand why you would take the Floyd off. Why not just condition the next time you change strings? (which should occur far more frequently than when you need to condition)

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyApollo
                          I don't understand why you would take the Floyd off. Why not just condition the next time you change strings?
                          I dont take off all the strings at once during string changes. I remove and replace them one at a time. I have trouble getting to the fretboard through the strings.

I prefer all the strings to be off of the board when I clean and condition the fretboard.

Taking of the floyd is easy (takes less than a couple of minutes to remove it and reinstall it) and it allows me remove all the strings at once to clean and condition the entire fret board with out having to spend 20+ minutes getting the floyds springs and the string tension dialed in so that the floyd is floating perfectly straight like I would have to do if I took all the strings off.

Works for me.

Every once in a while (6 months to a year) I take all the strings off and thoroughly clean all the parts on the floyd and replace the nut lock. Once I put it all back together I set it all back up.......but for regular string changes and fretboard cleaning/conditioning I prefer to just remove the floyd with the strings still attached.

Comment

Block the Floyd. Remove the strings. Oil your board. Restring. Everything should be good as...
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Keeping a fretboard in good condition is very simple. I wouldn't even say you need to oil it on a regular basis. You can clearly see, and feel when ebony or rosewood are starting to dry up. I've had some guitars for years that never needed anything. My Weddington is 15 years old, and I've never had to oil the fretboard. It still looks and feels healthy.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X