Caring for KV2 neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DannyM
    Taking of the floyd is easy (takes less than a couple of minutes to remove it and reinstall it) and it allows me remove all the strings at once to clean and condition the entire fret board with out having to spend 20+ minutes getting the floyds springs and the string tension dialed in so that the floyd is floating perfectly straight like I would have to do if I took all the strings off.
    If you use the same brand and gauge strings every time, it should take less than 10 minutes to get the Floyd back to the way it was, and the tension/level of the Floyd will be the same regardless of whether you change one string at a time or take them all off at once.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary
      Block the Floyd. Remove the strings. Oil your board. Restring. Everything should be good as...
      +1000

removing the floyd springs seems to me like making the job more difficult than necessary.

Comment

call me a lazy bastard, but i've never oiled either of my rosewood boards. i use dunlop guitar cleaner on every part of the guitars. my warrior is 8-9 months old. don't know about the 2nd hand dx10dfs. it's board looks bad but doesn't feel so. is this still cause for concern?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary
          Block the Floyd. Remove the strings. Oil your board. Restring. Everything should be good as...
          I've tried that but didnt have anything that would fit in there perfectly.
          Everything I put in there would make the string go out of tune either way sharp or way flat. It would be difficult to put the strings back on to the exact pitch and then remove the block and have everything perfect.

I'm thinking of getting a tremol-no. Not for this purpose but then I could just lock it and take all the strings off, put them back on, tune and unlock the tremol-no with out having to adjust any thing on my set up.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
            If you use the same brand and gauge strings every time, it should take less than 10 minutes to get the Floyd back to the way it was, and the tension/level of the Floyd will be the same regardless of whether you change one string at a time or take them all off at once.
            I always use the same gauge and brand of strings. I have never been able to remove all the strings and then restring and retune with out having to make adjustments to get the floyd floating level again. My way work works for me and ensures that my set up stays intact.

Comment

Everything I put in there would make the string go out of tune either way sharp or way flat. It would be difficult to put the strings back on to the exact pitch and then remove the block and have everything perfect.
              It doesn't actually matter what you put in there. Even if the strings are sharp or flat in my experience. Of course you can always make a block of wood and get it "perfect"
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a tremol-no. Not for this purpose but then I could just lock it and take all the strings off, put them back on, tune and unlock the tremol-no with out having to adjust any thing on my set up.
                The large pink rectangular pencil eraser..... Just about the perfect thickness, and don't have to worry about ever scratching anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Postal
                  The large pink rectangular pencil eraser..... Just about the perfect thickness, and don't have to worry about ever scratching anything.
                  Cool. I'll pick one up this week end and try it out.

Comment

My 2006 Soloist has an ebony fretboard that was really dry. After I oiled it with the correct lemon oil, the neck had a back bow and I had to tinker with the neck's truss rod...which is no big deal since I set up my own guitars. Just food for thought for someone who doesnt know how to adjust necks...

Comment

If the board never gets *too* dry, before re oiling, this shouldnt be an issue. adding moisture makes it swell lengthwise mostly, which would push toward backbow like you described. Sounds like yours dried out and shrank creating too much forward bow, and the neck was adjusted with the board dry.

Comment

Working...
                      X