Tuning my SL2H down to B standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning my SL2H down to B standard

I'm going to be tuning down to B on my SL2H.
    Its currently set up to Eb standard with Daddario EXL 110's (10-46)

I found this chart: http://daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD...sion_chart.pdf
    but I couldnt figure out how to use it.

What string gauge should I use to keep the same feel and string tension when tuning it down to B?

I saw some EXL116's (11-52).....would that work?
    Or would it need EXL145's (12-54) ?

11-52 would be too loose IMO. I have 11-49 in D and they have similar tension to 10-46 in E. Following the logic...12-54 would have the same tension in C as 10-46 in E so...I'd say for B standard you would need 13-(don't know the number here ). It's a pretty blind guess though, but 100% not 11-52.

Comment

12-54 should do it, the nice thing about a Floyd Rose is the ability to intonate low tunings. A true baratone guitar has a longer scale. I did it once with 11-52 and it was loose but it worked, a 13 set would be best.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I'd go 13-56. Anything less than a 56 will be too floppy on the low B, IMO.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use 13-56 for B standard, everything lower would be to floppy for me.

Tension-wise it's like 10-46 in E standard with a low B added.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

If you´re playing 10s in E/Eb, then I´d also go with at least a 12 set, preferably 13s.

Comment

I use dropped C tune and the best strings are Zakk Wylde Boomers 10-60 and DR 10-56. The other way is buy 7-string pack from d'Addario (10-56) and mount 7th string as 6th.

When I used 10-46 the last 2 strings are too low mounted and there is a problem with correct tuning (string lenght settings, neck angle etc)
              Let's try to fight with alcoholism! Drink more and leave less for others

Comment

Using anything heavier than 52 (well, maybe 53) on Soloist will cause intonation problem - no headroom for bridge saddles to move
                Because I don't say it
                Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

I personally wouldn't use 12-54's because the tension is too loose and gives a really dead sound. I'd go with 13 - 56 or 58
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I'd had to be having problems with it.......Maybe I should just get a 7 string guitar.

Comment

I´d go with 13, 17, 24plain or 26wound, 36, 49, 64. Yup, thick and tight enough.

Comment

IF yer tuning to B get a 7. As others have said you can use 13's but you will likely encounter problems

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy
                          IF yer tuning to B get a 7. As others have said you can use 13's but you will likely encounter problems
                          So far I have had four of my five Jacksons tuned down to B standard (setup done by a luthier). That would be my KVX10, DKMGT, COW DK6 and JS30WR.
                          Everytime the guy warned me that I might encounter these intonation problems, but so far every time it worked out fine.

All string-thru, though.
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat

All string-thru, though.
                            That's the key point.
                            Because I don't say it
                            Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

I tune my RR1 to B standard with 13-58 works just fine..

Comment

Working...
                              X