No announcement yet.

Is this an '87?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Charvel 5490 mfg, Jan 86(gallery) had a Charvel SD neck plate but a Jackson logo on a strat headstock.The guitar was ordered as a Charvel but when it came in it had the Jackson SD waterslide logo.The original owner was pissed.
    Are you saying this should be considered a Jackson?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had the Jackson custom shop look up the plate
      did not know this could be done
      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
        Well Charvel 5490 mfg, Jan 86(gallery) had a Charvel SD neck plate but a Jackson logo on a strat headstock.The guitar was ordered as a Charvel but when it came in it had the Jackson SD waterslide logo.The original owner was pissed.
        Are you saying this should be considered a Jackson?
        Well, if you ordered a Charger and received a Cuda, would it still be considered a Charger? It's still a Mopar.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink
          And this is why I look at all these claimed 'San Dimas' bolt on guitars on Ebay and walk away.

I just cannot tell which is a fake and which is an original.

Is there a definitive run down on what to look for any where on this site?
          Bratfink, the thing to keep in mind is that the sellers often just don't know any better and are going by what the plate says. If the price is reasonable, there's nothing wrong with an Ontario strat. I think they're great and can still be had at good prices. Key thing (and the easiest) to look for if you're hell-bent on getting a San Dimas strat is a sub 1506 serial number. If the axe has a JT-6 or a JT-590 trem, it's not a San Dimas (though there is the slight possibility that someone could have replaced a factory OFR with a JT-590.)

Comment

Originally posted by len
            did not know this could be done
            I can't be done any more... used to be you could just send them an e-mail with the serial number and a brief description of the guitar, and you'd get back the log book info shortly thereafter.

...but that was long before the FMIC takeover. Now they are not at all helpful with serial number info requests.

Comment

Well the guitar finally arrived and I fell in love with it instantly!
              It sounds amazing and plays great.. and the date on the neck pocket indeed says 87..

Comment

Told ya!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Good stuff, glad you're pleased with it. It's always great when you get a guitar you are unsure of but it turns out to be awsome.

Originally posted by xenophobe
                  Well, if you ordered a Charger and received a Cuda, would it still be considered a Charger? It's still a Mopar.
                  If you had ordered a Hemi Charger and got a Hemi Cuda you'd be stoked right now! The prices are oceans apart! A mate of mine made more money on one Cuda than he made on both his Superbird and Daytona put together!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X