Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson DK-1, wondering if this is a good price, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK-1, wondering if this is a good price, etc.

So, I might have the opportunity to pick up a Jackson DK-1 in errie dess swirl for $700. This includes a hardshell case, I think one of the oversized Jackson/Charvel cases. Anyhow, it's not perfect. The guitar has some wear, namely two irregular shaped paintchips in the rear, at the edge of where the trem cover is. They're each about the size of maybe a small coin.

Anyways, good deal? Oh, also, it's 22-fret and H/S/S. I checked the serial, seems to have been made in 1997. Is that accurate (I realize at one time they were made in 22-fret). If anybody wants to chime in on the thickness of the neck too, let me know! Maybe compare it to an Ibanez RG or Jackson DK-2 (played them both). Thanks!

Sounds like a good deal to me. If the worst of the wear is on the back and the frets are in good shape, $700 seems reasonable. I prefer the old pickup arrangement to the current dual EMGs, so I know what I'd do in your position!
    sigpic

Comment

+1 to everything Inazone said

Comment

I used to own that very guitar. It played great. The finish was worn down on the back of the neck, and I think maybe someone oiled it, but I cannot confirm it.

If it still has the case I sold it with, it's a black jackson logoed case, that you would see on like a soloist or whatever. The one on the edge of the trem is a little larger than a small coin, but was touched up with black paint. You cannot tell it's there from a distance, and if you're playing on a stage, no one will notice that spot.

I think I may still have pictures of it on my hard drive, and you can confirm if it's that one. It was back when they were HSS instead of HH. Also, the neck wasn't too thick, but it wasn't RG thin if I recall correctly.

Here's a pic to see if we're talking about the same guitar. The reason I ended up dumping it off was it was 22 frets, and I'm a pretty anal 24 fret guitar buyer.

Note by the volume knob, there is some scratching. The person who owned it before me, had it cranked on down to the body and someone was turning it.

Also note the repair, it's on the trem bar side of the trem.

OHHHHHHHHHHH wait....I just reread your post, your chips are on the back!!! That would make it not the same guitar I'm thinking off. Sorry for the confusion.

If I were you, I'd buy it. Hell, I'd buy mine back, and it's chips are on the front!

Comment

See if they'll come down a bit because of the damage.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions. I actually did try to get them to come down a little lower, but $700 is their final offer, they say. I love getting deals, I'd be all over it if it were say $500 at a local pawn shop or somewhere. Walking around with a smile on my face for weeks.

Deneb, the guys pictures are really low resolution, but holy damn, if it looks anything like that all I can say is fucking awesome. I've never played an American Jackson, but I played an errie dess DK-2 at guitar center, and the finish didn't look nearly as good as the finish on that one up above. Excellent! Yeah, you're right, the nicks are on the back. Here, I'll throw a picture up here:

Comment

Also, Deneb, I wanted to ask how much you bought and sold yours for. If you don't mind saying. It's basically the same as the one I'm interested in, just nicks in different locations!

Comment

They don't wanna come down? I'd pass on it personally. That's a lotta scratch for a damaged 9 year old Jackson bolt on, yeah I know it's USA made, so? IMO
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya RacerX. This is a minor complaint, but it doesn't come with the whammy bar neither. I'll see if I can get him to budge on the price, but I already asked once and hinted another time. Maybe I can get one more opinion. Do DK-1s ever go for $700 or under on Ebay (if in good condition)? Maybe I'll just pass on this one and keep my eyes peeled.

Comment

Do DK-1s ever go for $700 or under on Ebay
                    some do some don't ...i know that not a great answer but if you look around you'll find one between $500 -$700 no problem
                    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Okay, this config is pretty rare...is it more desireable? Depends on who you talk to.

How I lucked into mine, was a complete fluke. I bid on it on eBay, because it was advertised as a soloist. No pics, I get the guitar, it's not a soloist. I got either a refund, or something to bring the price down. Since it's a 9 year old, used Jackson, I can talk about the price without violating some MAP thing.

I ended up getting it for under 400$ all told. I sold it to a music store for almost 600$. They later ended up selling it for a bit over 600$.

Would I pay 700 for one? Does it play and sound good? Does it have a case that is in good working order? Sure I would. The finish damage on yours is on the back, and not on the front, and if it plays good, then yeah, I'd do it.

You may be able to get him to come down a bit, take like 600$ cash or whatever an pull it out, be like look I can give you 600$ cash, that's the best offer I can pull out. Sometimes money talks to people.

Comment

Oh and the finish, the USA ED finishes (yeah I wrote it as ED :P ) look MUCH better than the cheeseball import versions.

Comment

Thanks Deneb. Ok, I just e-mailed him earlier, not with an offer, but I did say I can't do $700. If he even comes down, I'm sure he'll come back with an offer of $650 or so. Man, $600 would be really nice, but we will see. If anything comes of it, I'll be sure to post again!

By the way, $400 for your DK-1!? That's about the price of a used Japanese DK-2 or some other cheaper model! Man, what a deal, even if nicked fairly bad. Also, yes the pickup config suits me well. I've been finding recently that a single-coil in the neck works better for cleans and I think I like the look of H/S/S better than H/H.

Comment

I just lucked into mine, and I wouldn't think that it's a very common find. It was basically because the seller didn't want to have to have me resend it, relist it and resell it, and some moron sold it to him for even less.

I remember seeing this SWEET looking Black DK1 with gold hardware, thinking I'd snag it for around 600...I was mistaken there.

Comment

Working...
                            X