KV2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV2 questions

Hey.. im new to the world of Jackson's. I've been playing some LTD's for the few years I've been playing guitar. My main guitar right now is my ltd dv8-r (dave mustaine sig) but i was looking into a V that would suit my needs even better. I've heard many good things about the Jackson KV2 so i wanted some opinions on it because there isnt one nearby that i can actually try. I know all the specs suit what i'm looking for I just have a few questions:

1) How does the alder body and JB combo sound? I have a JB in the bridge of my dv8r but it is a mahogany body.

2) I'm looking for a really thin neck, preferably a bit flat and wide also. Would the neck profile on the KV2 be good for me?

thanks

Welcome to the forum.
    I hate JBs, think they've got too much treble and high midrange and don't work for me all that well in alder. Hell, I had a mahogany Hamer that I thought one was too bright in. A lot of people dig that pickup, though. The neck profile is what they call a "speed neck" that is a little thinner than a Soloist or Rhoads, etc. The frets are also smaller on the KV2 model (medium jumbo). Mustaine liked the smaller frets on his guitars, so Jackson just stuck with those on the KV models instead of the jumbo like the others.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks for the response. I have just a couple more questions though

How is the build quality on this guitar? I'd think it would be great considering it is made in Jackson's american shop. And also what price do you think i should pay for a used KV2 in great condition?

thanks
      Last edited by robbo12; 07-01-2006, 04:08 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by robbo12
          How is the build quality on this guitar?
          about a million times better than your crummy LTD, thats for shore

Comment

actually.. my LTD is built great for the price. Higher end LTD's are excellant guitars, judging by your post I doubt you've even played an LTD. They own the jackson's i've tryed in the same price range. But i hear with Jacksons once you get into their american made stuff, they are incredible.

trust me the LTD's are far from crummy. Couldn't get a good pic because all i have is some old webcam.

Last edited by robbo12; 07-04-2006, 01:24 AM.

Comment

We're talking about USA Jacksons here, so obviously an LTD will be crummy in comparison

i could care less about import jacksons vs. LTD's because they're all made in the same factory anyway

Comment

More "newbie on newbie crime"!

Originally posted by Mat
                i could care less about import jacksons vs. LTD's because they're all made in the same factory anyway
                Oh hey, how about clarifying this? Import Jacksons are NOT made in the same factory as LTDs. MIJ Jacksons are made in Nagano, Japan; MII Jacksons are made at Harmony in Madras, India.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

And LTDs are either made in Korea or Indonesia...

Comment

LTDs are UGLY GUITARS!

Comment

Um, look. Let's not be haters. Here we have an ESP guy looking into getting a Jackson, let's not turn him off with a crappy attitude towards him.

Welcome newbie. Lets start by saying this, both guitars are essentially Dave Mustaine's Specs. The KV build was Mustaine's sig series before the Y2KV although all the KV2's and KV1's I've played the neck seem a little flatter (skinny) and wider (fretboard side to side) than the Y2KV's. The KV2 essentially has not changed. The KV2T Has Jumbo frets and is Mahogany, so you wouldn't want that in what you're looking for. The DV8 has a closer neck profile to the Y2KV. As for the high end LTD's, they are nice and probably as close as you'll get to High end Jackson imports today at a slightly higher price. The neck-thru Jackson pro and sig series MIJ guitars are very high quality and are probably the best new bang for the buck out there.

If you're looking to go used, check out the early Jackson Professional Series. There are no comparisons between those and any import you can buy today. These guitars are quite possibly the best imports EVER available from ANY COMPANY. The one you'd be interested in is the King V Pro Dave Mustaine. You won't be disappointed.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

thanks for the detailed response. KV2 sounds exactly what I am looking for then. I really dig thin/wide/flat neck profiles. KV2t also seems great because i love the simplicty of a non-trem bridge and it has sperzel locking tuners which keep it in tune pretty nicely. Mahogany is also my fav wood (have it on 3 of my 4 guitars) haven't owned an alder guitar so that might change. The thing that turns me away from the KV2t is its shorter scale, not really a fan of its headstock or inlays. I'll probly just go for a KV2 new. I was originally going to get a custom ESP but that was going to cost me about $5000 so ill save a ton of money and hopefully still have a killer axe.

thanks

Comment

let's call for a small patch of korina kv2!!!
                          am I alone on this one???

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                            More "newbie on newbie crime"!

Oh hey, how about clarifying this? Import Jacksons are NOT made in the same factory as LTDs. MIJ Jacksons are made in Nagano, Japan; MII Jacksons are made at Harmony in Madras, India.
                            I was speaking in generalities. Many companies guitars are made in the same Samick factory in Korea (e.g. ESP, Dean, etc.)

My bad, I should have been clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by withmyshadow
                              let's call for a small patch of korina kv2!!!
                              am I alone on this one???
                              I'll support that!

though I already got my fill :-p

Comment

Working...
                              X