RR1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1 question

Ive been looking at RR1's lately in my most recent GAS attack, and noticed that this guitar has a linear knob arrangement. It's a 1992 USA RR1, but i'm just trying to confirm that it's not a fake, as it's the first i've come across with the controls laid out in this way (although I'm very new to the guitar). Any help you could offer would be great.

Probably a custom pickguard?
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

^That would be a bit of a hassle in moving things around for very minimal gain.
      Here's a headstock image, which looks fine to my untrained eye, although it wouldn't probably be as useful as an LP headstock image. And here's the actual ebay thread. Jackson RR1 USA
      If this is a fake please let me know. If it's real it's local and I'll quickly snatch it up. Thanks guys.

Comment

It's a legit but pretty beat up and lightly modded Jackson Rhoads. Ask him for a sharp closeup pic of the serial, as a final check or go check it out yourself if he's local. That way, you can check for other damage too; the head stock looks chipped as well.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by GrandDreaming
          It's a 1992 USA RR1,
          No. Just USA Rhoads, or Rhoads Custom. The xx1 designation did not start until 1996, BTW.

I know it was the ebay seller jerk that wrote that (he can't spell Randy's name right either)
          Last edited by RacerX; 07-04-2006, 06:12 AM.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I saw you wrote 1995 before you corrected it, Ron. Losing grip, are we? j/k!
            Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
              No. Just USA Rhoads, or Rhoads Custom. The xx1 designation did not start until 1996, BTW.
              Are their any significant changes between the RR1 and the USA Rhoads, or is it just a designation thing. Also, how do this older model stand compared to similar but newer ones in terms of quality. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

It's just a designation thing and the only major difference between the Rhoads in question and a newer one (in term of features), is that from around mid 90's and forward, the necks became more chunky, fatter. My guess is that "your" 1992 Rhoads here will have a thinner neck.

Regarding quality there's nothing to worry about - overall they are the same. Some say that Jackson guitars from the period just after the move to Ontario (1987->) are very good in terms of consistency and that may be true.
                Henrik

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll buy it afterall then, even though the seller hasn't replied to my email about me trying it out first. Hmm...

Comment

1992 USA Select Rhoads with a replacement pickguard...
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have one and like it a lot with the stock J80/J90C + JE 1200 mid boost. Looks like the same case that mine came in. Compared to the 2006 RR1T I looked at the Hollywood GC, my 1992 (with a JT590) is heavier and feels a little more solid (but lighter can be a good thing as well). I didn't get to compare neck profiles. My 1995 is still thin, so the fatter necks must have happened after that.

I personally think good ebony has dried up. The older stuff looks better (solid black, no streaks of brown).

Looks like a good deal to me at $600 currently. I see someone on the forum has already bid on it.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll buy it afterall then, even though the seller hasn't replied to my email about me trying it out first. Hmm...
                        Im the high bidder on it, but dont worry, Im not bidding anymore. I just wanted to break his reserve. My max bid is $601 so have at it, hope it stays low for you!!

Id say $900 or so would be a fair price for it, wouldnt pay over a G for it though.
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

^Thanks dude. I wouldn't go over that anyways. I wasn't able to get any info about the pickguard mod (he bought it on ebay a few years back like that), and it's not in good enough condition to warrant that kind of money. I just hope it sounds as great as I'd imagine it would, and that the Floyd Rose doesn't drive me crazy (I have almost no experience with them).

Comment

Im sure youll love the guitar to death... as for the pick guard, its junk aftermarket. You can find a used one on the bay, or hell I can make you a diamond plate one like I made for my Rhoads pictured here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56399

Ive got a bunch of diamond plate and nothing to do with it at the moment!

Good luck with it though! And thanks for bidding, I was sweating bullets over that fact that I might have to pay $600 for a guitar I dont need after just dropping over a G on an amp.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Are their any significant changes between the RR1 and the USA Rhoads, or is it just a designation thing. Also, how do this older model stand compared to similar but newer ones in terms of quality. Thanks for all the help!
                              I'll probably piss off a lot of people who own newer RR1s, but IMHO the earlier Rhoads Customs, or USAs or whatever the hell you want to call them were better made guitars. I have seen later RR1s with poorly done logos (mismatched pearl inlay, gaps between the J and A, odd looking lettering), bad paint/binding edges, inconsistent pickup location (too much of a gap between the neck pickup and neck), poorly finished fret ends, etc. The pre RR1 Rhoads were more consistent I think.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X