Correct trem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct trem?

Hey all - just picked up a project Ontario soloist... what was the original trem for a soloist issued in 1989?
    Would I be better off swapping for a Floyd?
    Also - anyone have a black dome style knob for a split-shaft pot?
    Pics will follow shortly

I believe that would have probably came with the Schaller (JT590). It's just as good as an OFR, but the OFR is a direct replacement.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks - that's what i was thinking.
      Looks exactly like a floyd... tuners in the same spot - not like the "other" Jackson trems that had the big knurled knobs behind the base

Comment

Look at the locking nuts. On the JT590, they are fat. On the OFR, they are skinny until you get to the hex head, then they get fat. The OFR head poke out futher behind the trem as well.

Comment

I´ve always thought that OFR´s and Schaller/590´s were equally good, but I´m beginning to have second thoughts. Lately I´ve been having trouble with the intonation screws holding the saddles in place coming undone on some 590´s... which is something I´ve never had a problem with regarding OFR´s. I believe the knife edges are equal on both, but the OFR´s seem to be of tougher stock in other areas.

Comment

Mine (580) was stripping..

Comment

Yes, the 580 had that problem, but I believe all of the 590s have hardened steel threaded inserts.

Comment

My 1993 Rhoads Pro's JT-590 had NO hardened steel inserts. They eventually stripped and i changed the base plate.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

So Henrik....you're saying I could be wrong about that?

Comment

ahem... well Mark, let us just say that you forgot about this one I still have the old base plate here as evidence, I think.
                    Henrik

Comment

I don't believe you. You'll have to post pics. Nahhh....just kiddin'! I do remember one of the base plates having the inserts, but I can't remember which one now. Now that I think about it, I think it may have been one of the "pot metal" trems.

Comment

Just for a bit of info, I've had the Takeuchi trems in the past (logo'd and non logo'd), and they had the hardened steel baseplates (pivot edges were part of the baseplate just like a floyd, not inserts) which was actually a decent tremolo.

EDIT: I'm not sure why Henriks trem plate stripped, possibly they made these in a soft version or possibly it was the screws?
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

1. I was/am talking the threaded intonation screw holes in the baseplate. Just making sure we're on the same issue here

2. My original JT-590 baseplate stripped the threads in the intonation screw holes, because the baseplate material is a soft piece of shite. It wasn't the screws that stripped.

I can't possibly be the only one here with this JT-590 experience, can I?
                          Henrik

Comment

ooops! sorry, Henrik, my mistake, I should have specified, I meant the 580 Takeuchi, not the 590.
                            Dave ->

Comment

by the way, where did the trem info go in the "tech" section. There were several versions of the 580 and I can't find that anymore to reference to. I have since saved the names and pics of the trems but has it been removed from here?
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X