I Can't Decide-Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Can't Decide-Help!

I'm looking at adding to my SL1 and PC1's and I'm looking at a RR1 and DK1. I can't decide. I haven't played either one, but I almost always buy my guitars having never played them, and have been real lucky so far. I know the Dinky would be comfortable right off the bat sitting down and cool with the EMG's. I read in past posts with the RR1, you sit classical style with the inside of the "V" resting on your leg (ala vintage Randy pics). I could always put EMG's in the RR1 down the road. I never have owned a guitar that had a shape other than a Strat or Les Paul.
    Any ideas pluses and minuses? Maybe if I got an RR1, I could play more like Randy? My Malmsteen Strat gave me immediate speed and I started talking with a Swedish accent as soon as I got it home.:ROTF: I was thinking I'd look cool with an RR1 in my home studio, but on the negative side I don't want to back up and kill the dog with the pointies all over the place I need help deciding.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

The RR shape is possibly the coolest-shaped guitar ever, though the 22 frets can be inconvenient at times. The other negative is how the wings are prone to bump into stuff, so you have to pay more attention. It feels more comfortable when you play standing up IMO. So if you already have a bunch of Strat-shaped guitars, it would make sense to mix it up. Go with the RR1! Now, by any chance did your ego inflate when you got the Yngwie strat?
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Originally posted by followthereaper
      The RR shape is possibly the coolest-shaped guitar ever, though the 22 frets can be inconvenient at times. The other negative is how the wings are prone to bump into stuff, so you have to pay more attention. It feels more comfortable when you play standing up IMO. So if you already have a bunch of Strat-shaped guitars, it would make sense to mix it up. Go with the RR1! Now, by any chance did your ego inflate when you got the Yngwie strat?
      Yea, and for some reason I started gaining weight and getting chubby cheeks
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Go for the RR1! And as far as "only" having 22 frets, it won't be a bad thing if he's already had a Malmsteen Strat.

Rudy
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

The RR1 is THE most comfortable guitar to play standing up. Feels fantastic

Comment

thetroy said it. I play better standing with my Rhoads's than sitting with my Strats.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

also better sitting with RR than with strats for me .

Comment

How do you sit with that thing? Other than classical position that is. The lower wing is so damn short!

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                  How do you sit with that thing? Other than classical position that is. The lower wing is so damn short!
                  Other than Classical Position, you don't sit with it.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                    You can sit on the bed and have longer wing sitting on the bed.

Comment

I agree with mixing up. DK1 surely is an awesome guitar, but if you have a couple of strat-style guitars already, why not try something pointy...

once you get used to it, it's gonna be the most comfy guitar you got. and I love sitting down with mine. in fact, I somehow don't feel as easy with my charvel m5fx's higher frets, as I do with my rhoads. somehow the fretboard liesa bit more on the side of you instead of in front. that's at least the way it feels for me.
                      on the charvel I often find myself to be in my own way playing the upper frets. I'd like to move my ellbow a little more to the left but... belly is in the way.
                      I'm sure more experienced strat-players won't know this problem, but I just feel better with my rhoadses.

what I also like is that the higher wing can give your right arm some support. I somehow rest my arm on this wing, and it's not that much of an effort to keep my hand in shred position that way.

I'd say; give it a try!!
                      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

RR all the way. I'd put it up there along with the rest of the things a man needs to own in his life including a pickup truck, good powertools, and a giant television.

If you are clumsy like a lot of us the guitar will get chipped easily at the points. I liked how balanced it was when I stood and played as well as how comfortable it was in the classical position when you are sitting. The 22 frets were never really an issue to me.

I would say go for it!!
                        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Hey thanks for the recommendations. I just missed a nice white RR1 with the Floyd on EBay (didn't meet the Reserve ) I'll keep looking though. Maybe, I'll just get a new one. White, with pinstripes!

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson
                            RR all the way. I'd put it up there along with the rest of the things a man needs to own in his life including a pickup truck, good powertools, and a giant television.
                            Damn, I guess I'm done then. I've got all of them.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                              Damn, I guess I'm done then. I've got all of them.
                              Yea me too, I guess I will be fullfilled once I get an RR1

Comment

Working...
                              X