4 months later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 months later

It's been 4 months since my SL2HT was sent back for a twist/hump in the neck. They say it's on the way and I should have it back Tuesday. Man what a wait. They said the custom shop did the repair, is that normal? I hope they replaced that sucka, I can't get any info out of them as to what was done.

Anyone know how good Jackson is about replacing and not repairing twists in necks?

You probably have a new guitar coming to you with the same original serial number. I'm not sure, but that seems logical on a recently made neck through.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't think I could go 4 months without a guitar. I hope they did it right the 2nd time.

Comment

They still have my sl2ht with a twisted neck, haven't heard a thing.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I believe there's no way to repair twisted neck-through either than building new guitar
          Because I don't say it
          Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

MEX3, I've got a real nice MIJ strat that blows the soloist away. Hopefully that will not be the case when I get it back.

jcm800x, how long has it been? This Jackson between being sent back and the authorized repair facility has had this guitar 7 months, I've owned the guitar for 9 1/2 months.

Carbophos, I understand they can heat them in a press. Probably not a permanent repair though.

I only hope they sent a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
              They still have my sl2ht with a twisted neck, haven't heard a thing.
              Is this a common thing for SL2HT's?
              If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

I would only accept a replacement, not a repair. I bought a new guitar, not a repaired one. With a twisted neck you would have to remove the nut, frets, etc. and plane the neck strait again and then redo everything. I heard that my guitar was evaluated but nothing else yet. My Fender tech told me that Fender is very quick with warranty issues, a matter of weeks. Jackson on the other hand.......from what I've read they are VERY slow. I don't know how common this is but the ones I've heard about all had TOM bridges with no lock nut. Maybe the head stock is pulling a twist without the lock nut? I don't really have a clue!
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I would only accept a replacement, not a repair. I bought a new guitar, not a repaired one. With a twisted neck you would have to remove the nut, frets, etc. and plane the neck strait again and then redo everything. I heard that my guitar was evaluated but nothing else yet. My Fender tech told me that Fender is very quick with warranty issues, a matter of weeks. Jackson on the other hand.......from what I've read they are VERY slow. I don't know how common this is but the ones I've heard about all had TOM bridges with no lock nut. Maybe the head stock is pulling a twist without the lock nut? I don't really have a clue!
                  How long have they had the guitar. I was told to expect a 4 to 5 month turnaround. The place where I bought the guitar told me that it was very rare for a Jackson to have a neck twist, but the guy at Vegas guitars told me it was very common, at least here in Vegas, to see the necks twist.

Comment

I think I sent it in May? I don't remember right now. I had an 88' RR1T that twisted also.

Comment

I think I sent it in May? I don't remember right now. I had an 88' RR1T that twisted also.
                      Thin necks and green wood. I think they may want to consider using wood that has been aged longer or thickening up the necks just a hair. Maybe some carbon fiber reinforcement rods and dual Acton truss rods. I'm not sure on what they put in their necks, I'm sure someone will speak up and clarify it for me.

It's only been two months. Sucks, don't it? That's something else Jackson needs to address. I mean for the price that we pay for these guitars the turn around on warranty repairs should be much better.

Comment

I agree, maybe they need more staff.

Comment

You think that maybe since the take over that they may have changed their suppliers and that they are getting cheaper wood? I know the Ebony boards I've seen lately don't look anywhere near as good as the old stuff. Just a thought...Hope you guys get your deal straight soon.

Comment

a few things...

- sending stuff back for warranty/repairs takes a long time. good or bad, that's the way it seems to be.

- twisted necks can be fixed a few ways. the most extreme would be to pull the frets, pull the board, install graphite rods, and reboard/refret it.

- the green wood thing is highly, highly, highly unlikely.

- while thin necks can twist, most jackson necks aren't exactly the thinnest in the world. granted, they're not 50s les pauls, but they're not wizards, either.

- what "guy in vegas" are you referring to? ed roman? not that he isn't knowledgable, but i'd never listen to a thing that guy has to say. full of shit doesn't do the term justice.

that said, i hope that your guitar arives the way it should. sucks that you had to go through it.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                              the green wood thing is highly, highly, highly unlikely.
                              My new Charvel Star (oiled maple neck) has a tiny patch of green on the back/side of its headstock. I thought it was grease at first, but in bright sunlight Ken (Firebird Z) saw it and said it was maple rot. Ain't that some shit?!?
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X