A shrill JB - ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shrill JB - ideas please

I have an alder SL2H flame top (natural) with the standard Duncans. I'm finding the JB to be really shrill. If I back off the tone control a bit it helps, but seems to be muddy everything else up doing that.

I haven't opened it up, but is there a possibility of a different cap or pot that would help?

I've been looking at the Bare Knuckle pickups and other Duncans, but undecided.

Going through a Splawn Quickrod w/EL34s and greenback loaded 4X12.

Looking for tones from early AC/DC, EVH, UFO, early Def, Scorps, & Motley.

I have a duncan custom5 in the bridge of my carvin neck thru w/ maple neck, alder wings, 24fret and HH. same specs as sl2h except scale length,
    custom5 sounds wonderful in it.

Comment

JBs are very overrated, IMO, and they've definitely got too much treble and high mids going on. It's most likely got a 500k tone pot, but you can change it to 250k (which is recommended for a JB) so it will warm it up a bit.
      A Custom 5 is definitely a better choice... I've got one in my Charvel Star (though, it's got a slightly mid-scooped sound). A Custom or Custom Custom might be better if you don't really want scooped either. Also, a DiMarzio Tone Zone would be a very nice choice.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm not a fan of JBs. I think they sound messy. I'll bet a Custom would sound killer in that alder body.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Very cool. Thanks.

Looks like a Custom might be the one to try out.

Any others?

No word on the Bare Knuckles, anyone tried them out?

Comment

I love the JB its my favorite pickup. When ever i come across one that sounds a bit to tinny or shrill or just back the treble side poles down a bit or lower the pickup on the side depending on what works better for the situation. Try that. Other than that the custom V is killer and not as "muddy" sounding with high gain.Or try thr 250k pot.
            Gil

Comment

I had it cranked up high at first, and have it now nearly level with the mount ring and still get that nasty high end from the B & E strings.

Comment

250k pots are definately the way to go with a JB. The difference is night and day. Either that or swap out the A5 magnet for an A2.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                  JBs are very overrated, IMO, and they've definitely got too much treble and high mids going on.
                  +1

I think it's about time Jackson dropped it, or stopped putting it in so many different models.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The Tone Zone and Air Zone models from DMZ work really well in maple-necked, alder-bodied guitars. When my DK2M gets here (which is now looking like late August) I'll probably swap the pickups out. I happen to have a white TZ/HBFH set lying around unused, so they'll probably wind up in there.

Comment

You might want to play adjust the height of the pick up on the treble side. Both the Duncan Custom and Duncan C-5 have more output the the JB. If you think the JB has treble, you don't want the C-5, that sucker has ice pick to the back of the brain highs. And it has lower-mids, so it gives it a scooped sound.
                      Think of Michael Scheckner when it comes to the Custom, but if you have the strings too close to the pick up, it can sound very schrill.
                      I went thru all three of these pick ups in a SL2, and it was a toss up between the JB and the Custom.

Comment

I've found the JB to be one of the best I've heard when I'm in standard tuning. I had Seymour make me a Custom (SH-5) in dark blue which I chucked in one of my Charvels which sits in drop C tuning. To say it lacked balls is an understatement (maybe it's better suited to standard tuning). I've since had Seymour make me an Invader in dark blue, so if anyone is after a dark blue SH-5 then hit me up with an offer, hehe!

Comment

dude the JB sounds great. just turn down some presence or treble on your amp.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by jabezcruz
                            Both the Duncan Custom and Duncan C-5 have more output the the JB. If you think the JB has treble, you don't want the C-5, that sucker has ice pick to the back of the brain highs. And it has lower-mids, so it gives it a scooped sound.
                            No, both the Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5 are a little lower output than the JB. And even though the C5 is slightly scooped sounding, its treble is nowhere near as high as the JB, as it's also got more bass. I know this from experience, but also check the tone chart on Duncan's site.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

another vote for the custom custom but my favorite pup of all time is an anderson H2 or H3 those are killer

Comment

Working...
                              X