A shrill JB - ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam
    No, both the Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5 are a little lower output than the JB. And even though the C5 is slightly scooped sounding, its treble is nowhere near as high as the JB, as it's also got more bass. I know this from experience, but also check the tone chart on Duncan's site.
    I disagree. The Custom (Ceramic magnet)and the C-5 (Alinco 5) have a higher output due to being wound hotter, with the Custom Custom being less than the JB due to the Alinco II magnet.
    The C-5 is scooped (lower mids), but it definitly has more treble. The Duncan Distortion is the same pick up as the JB, but it has a ceramic magnet.
    Last edited by Junior; 07-20-2006, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I actually found a good combination,An old JB, a basswood Charvel model 2 body, a USACC maple /ebony neck and an RS guitarworks/CTS 280K super pot.The highs are toned down and very clean almost glassy.The bottom end is very tight and the bass doesn't get muddy at all.The super pot gives you tons of control.The sweep of the pot is very precise and if you hit the vol knob accidentaly chances are you wont kill your volume.Thats good for me because I'm bad about that.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jharpersj
        another vote for the custom custom but my favorite pup of all time is an anderson H2 or H3 those are killer

I have an SL1 but i also own an Anderson Cobra. Oh yeah, the Anderson pickups are killer. The H3 is a very hot pickup. I think I'm going to get rid of the stock pickups in my Jackson. The JB doesn't really sound bad, but I'm curious about other pickups, but the single coils in the Jackson are pretty dull sounding to me.
        Check out some of my Boogie IIC+, III, and various other amps clips here.
        http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning

Comment

I love the H-2 TA very nice .
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dimarzio: Super Distortion or Tone Zone will work wonders

Seymour Duncan: Custom 5

Comment

Well the Duncan tone chart even suggests using a 250k pot for the JBif its to shrill. So that would be my sugestion. Just toss in a 250k Pot and be done with it. Also the distorion is not the same as the JB The distortion is a ceramic magnet like said but it also has more windings than the JB according to the tone chart.
              Gil

Comment

Working...
              X