Rhoads control layout......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads control layout......

On a original Rhoads what were/are the controls? Was it volume , volume , tone? or was it volume , tone , tone? I know that on a new RR the specs say volume , tone , tone and just wanted to know if its always been that way.

Some older ones did have volume, volume, tone. Not sure what years they were like that or if they started like that. Since everything was custom made to order, I guess you could order it with whatever layout you wanted.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never took the fact that they were custom made back then in to consideration, but it makes sense.

I was asking cause i have a fernandes Rhoads copy and i need to rewire it. I'm trying to decide which way would be more effective. If i have 2 volumes i could do the Randy thing with the 3 way ( but i wouldnt use it that much) But having 2 tones would give me a bigger variation in sound , right?

Comment

Original San Dimas Rhoads were generally Volume(neck hum) Volume(bridge hum) Tone(master) unless otherwise specified by the customer!!

Comment

I agree...they were generally V-V-T...I'm fairly certain they still are, my '95 EDS RR was v-v-t and my RR1-T is too.
          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
          RIP Dime

Comment

I prefer the v/v/t set up myself. My 2 older RR's are set up that way. I think my JCF01 RR is too. My newer RR1T is v/t/t. I will get around to changing it sooner or later.

I like being able to keep the neck volume off, and switching to that position at the end of a song in a gig situation. It also allows the toggle switch effect RR and alot of others have used over the years.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
              I prefer the v/v/t set up myself.
              +1. Wish they'd switch the RR1's standard wiring back to this layout.

Comment

I'm changing it V/V/T tomorrow, today i did some routing because the EMG's wont fit into the stock duncan holes
                is that common?

Comment

Ok so my next question then is , which knob is which?
                  Is it like this

Or should the volume knobs be the other way around ( bridge where neck is and neck where bridge is in the pic)?

Comment

Originally posted by Venomous
                    Is it like this

That's correct.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

You can do it whatever way works best for you. Dave Mustaine had his guitars (both production KV1 and Y2KV) wired with the volume knob closest to the bridge as the bridge volume.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There is no "right way" to do it. But most of the stock wiring in passive systems was neck vol/bridge vol/master tone. From 1990 until at least 1993, a USA production Rhoads was wired as: master volume, master tone, mid boost because they were using the JE-1200 active circuit at that time.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                            You can do it whatever way works best for you. Dave Mustaine had his guitars (both production KV1 and Y2KV) wired with the volume knob closest to the bridge as the bridge volume.
                            Me too. I changed my RR1 to V/V/T as soon as I got it, and the volume knob closest to the bridge pickup is the bridge pickup volume.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                            X