X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering Soloist

I’m about to order my first CS Soloist but have a bunch of questions

Archtop questions:
    What manufacturing differences are there in an archtop?

Are neck-through construction and recessed floyd rose pro available for archtops (Heard due to hollow design not all floating trems can be used)?

For the cost do archtops give a nicer tone as well as structural stability?

Are archtops much lighter?

Is the SLS available in Archtop?

General Questions:

Under body description I see there's soloist then soloist SLS, what is the difference and can Korina be used as the wood type to make an SLS?

Do top wood really effect the tone or are they more cosmetic (Planning to get metallic black so look of wood doesn't bother me)?

Could anyone recommend a top wood option to go with korina?

With the neck back shape what’s the difference between SL1 and speed KV2?

What is the process of recessing a FR and what are the advantages and disadvantages or recessed vs non recessed?

Can floyd rose pro be recessed?

Can anyone recommend the best tuners (The ones that hold their tunning the best)?

Are active electronics only available if you are using active pickups?

What is the active electronic Jackson Sustainer System?

What is the SLS headstock type and how does it vary from the standard?

Sorry about all the questions but i want to get it right the first time
    Last edited by thesoloist; 07-30-2006, 03:15 AM.

Speed KV2 shape is thinner than SL1.
    Active electronics can be used with passives or actives.
    Why do you want the best tuners, if youre going with floyd (and a locking nut with it)?

You might go and edit the first post and make all the questions in white so we can see them normally, not just with highlighting text .

Comment

Ummm, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but... With all of those questions, I suspect you're not really ready to order your first custom shop guitar. Sounds like you don't know what you want. If I were in your situation, I'd do more research first, try to find guitars with a few of these types of differences to try out in person (to see what you like/prefer - much of this is subjective opinion), and maybe then order the guitar. Good luck.

Comment

+1

It sounds to me you're not ready for a Custom Shop yet. Get as much experience as you can on different guitars, find what Y-O-U REALLY like best and then incorporate all of that into your dreamguitar: the custom shop.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Concerning the neck back shape, the Speed is thinner than the standard.

Also, an archtop would warm up or mellow the sound of any guitar. This might be a good idea for a alder bodied, maple neck, ebony fretboard guitar which would have a bright sound.Thus warming up the sound without havong to mess with the EQ on an amp.

As many people have said before, do some research.
          Last edited by Elfastball7; 07-30-2006, 11:19 AM.
          Gear--- 2005 ESP LTD Dave Mustaine Axxion
          Roland Micro Cube

Comment

Originally posted by Elfastball7
            As many people have said before, do some research.
            Isn't he doing research by asking those questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
              Isn't he doing research by asking those questions?
              Hands-on research.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
                Hands-on research.
                Maybe he doesn't have a chance to try all those options in person? If he had, I'm sure he wouldn't ask those questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                  Maybe he doesn't have a chance to try all those options in person? If he had, I'm sure he wouldn't ask those questions.
                  But how does he know he wants/would like those options if he has never tried them other than reading about them or seeing pictures?
                  If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

You can always "roll the dice" and make an educated guess on your options. That's what I do when I order a guitar site unseen! I've never been disappointed
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by thesoloist

Are neck-through construction and recessed floyd rose pro available for archtops (Heard due to hollow design not all floating trems can be used)?
                      The archtops are not hollow. I'm sure you can get it hollow if that's what you want, though.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by followthereaper
                        But how does he know he wants/would like those options if he has never tried them other than reading about them or seeing pictures?
                        I don't see a reason why not. I've never played and ebony guitar before in my life until I got my Jackson Stars and I fell in love immediately after I touched it. And I always wanted ebony fretboard.

Comment

I suppose, but blindly buying a guitar with a different kind of fretboard material is a lot different than trying all options you think you might like especially when ordering a custom shop guitar.
                          If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfastball7
                            Also, an archtop would warm up or mellow the sound of any guitar.
                            Exciting news! A solid layer of MAPLE warms up or mellows the sound :ROTF:
                            Because I don't say it
                            Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

well that would nicely compliment a bright sounding piece of mahogany!
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X