PC1 opinons wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 opinons wanted!

All right here goes. After much deliberating and wanting I have decided to finally purchase my first USA Jackson. I have decided on the PC1. But I am torn on the finish. I can't decide between the Solar and the Chlorine.

I need opinions on the two colors. I have never seen either in person ( I have to drive 4 hours tomorrow to go look at them) and I would like to know what you think about each color. How do they look on stage? etc., etc. You get the idea.

And if any PC1 owners would like to post and tell me how they like their guitars I wouldn't mind the extra encouragement to fuel my G.A.S. as well.

Also, I'm not 100% certain how the Sustainer works. I would appreciate a quick tutorial on its function and use as well.

Thanks up front!

One smart Dude! Get either one. You will love the PC1 so much, you will have to have one of each! All the colors are great! (I'm getting there with all the colors) If it were me I would choose the Solar over the Chlorine right now. The new chlorine IMO is not like it used to be. It is more of a full coverage transparent blue than a "burst" with shading variances. The Solar is an awesome color and changes with differing amounts of light. The PC1, I feel is the best bang for the buck in the USA Jackson line up. The sustainer basically has 2 modes. One being a fundemental sustained note, the second having the fundemental with a harmonic added. Two switches control the sustainer on/off, with the second switch changing between the standard sustain and the harmonic added sustain. There is a knob that controls the intensity or overall mix into the bridge or middle pickup. The sustainer pickup (neck) also acts like a stacked single coil in the "sustainer off" position. The sustainer is the driver that creates the string vibration in which the middle and bridge humbucker picks up to make the sound audible. Hope this helps

Last edited by Bengal65; 08-04-2006, 11:01 AM.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

No help, but I really like both finishes - check out the quality of the burst though, cos some seem a little 'clumsy'. Also, make sure that you're getting a strathead or a discount for old stock!....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Great guitars. Best thing going in the Jackson production line-up, IMHO.

As to colors, transparent finishes vary a lot from guitar-to-guitar. And, lately, it seems so does the quality of the quilt tops. Some are real nice, top notch. A few others, not so much. I'd suggest that you reserve judgement until you see them in person, and choose based on how each guitar actually looks like. You can't go wrong with either.

The easiest way I can describe the sustainer is like controllable feedback. It holds notes/chords infinitely. And you can choose via a switch whether it's the fundimental note, or its harmonic. There's also a knob to determine the intensity.

Good luck.

Comment

+1 Neilli and Shreddermon. Good points!

I usually don't have a choice as I order them sight un-seen. So I have to pray to the guitar gods that the ordered one is really cool!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Ok here's the solar PC1:

Comment

Going to Fuller's, eh?

Nice color, but not much burst on that Solar. I liked 'em better when they had a orange/red-ish burst edge. Nice piece of quilt, though. I like the colors of the chlorine they have better, but the quilt isn't quite as nice as that Solar. I'd say they're equal. Judgement call - I could go either way. Maybe buy which ever feels/plays better.

Comment

Yep. Fuller's it is.

Here's the Chlorine

Comment

Seeing a pic and seeing them in person is completely different.
                  The pic/s only gives you a general idea, in person they are beauties.
                  If I had to choose between the the two (SL1 or a PC-1) the PC-1 will get my money. A great guitar. Wait till you play it, once you do its all over then, you'll be branded and must have it. I'm not a Phil Collen fan like some, but I love his guitars, they are great guitars in themselves. You love it and your 4 hour drive will be worth once you see it and play it.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Yeah I have played SL1, SL2, Charvel bolt ons and the Warrior and the PC1 is a better feeling guitar to me and more versitile. High quality and stunning in person. If you get one you will understand that the pics don't do these justice.

Sustainers can be a little touchy I have heard but I have had no problems with mine. I don't use mine because I will get too lazy and not use my fingers and picking attack to get harmonic overtones. Also at decent volumes on my amp I can vibrato notes and they hold amost indefinitely without the sustainer.

Necks are like someone redid a Fender and gave it a combination radius and flatter fretboard. Nice and smooth. Great fret job.

Now that I have one I now prefer no fretboard inlays on any of my guitars. And unless you get a full blown custom guitar you won't find better tone or playability.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Sustainer?
                      A light pick/touch is very important.
                      This is where most struggle with it.
                      Heres a link on a sustainer demostration, in a nutshell, is a very good visual BUT notice how lightly the pick hand is. Its not the same brand in the PC-1 but its good info nonetheless.
                      http://fernandesguitars.com/sustainer/susvideo.html
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I prefer the Au Natural myself.
                        But any finish will do... the guitars are that awesome.
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                          Sustainer?
                          A light pick/touch is very important.
                          This is where most struggle with it.
                          Heres a link on a sustainer demostration, in a nutshell, is a very good visual BUT notice how lightly the pick hand is. Its not the same brand in the PC-1 but its good info nonetheless.
                          http://fernandesguitars.com/sustainer/susvideo.html
                          Thanks for the link. I'm about to check it out. I actually do have a light playing touch on guitar (not at all on bass!) so this is good to know and actually helps me.

Comment

Is the 2006 model the first PC1 with a strathead?
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                              Is the 2006 model the first PC1 with a strathead?
                              They came out in mid 2005.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X