PC1 Neck opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 Neck opinions

I am interested in getting a PC1, but I wonder if the neck might be too thick for me. I know it's one of Jackson's thicker necks, and I do generally like thin necks (Wizards, etc.), but I have had a few Strats over the years and never felt like they were too thick.

I read on Jackson's specs that the PC1 neck is .825" at the 3rd fret. I can't find similar specs for a Strat. Can any of you PC1 users help me out with a comparison of the PC1 neck to a Strat neck, or other common guitar necks?

Thanks.

Imagine an average size baseball bat split down the middle.
    Then soften up the C shape just a bit... not too much though.
    I haven't found any other production guitar with a similar neck profile.
    Strats are skinnier at the nut and most don't have jumbo frets.
    I love mine, and I used to play and swear by my Ibanez neck until I played a PC1.
    My only real suggestion would be to play one. Judge for yourself.
    -Rick

Comment

Yeah, the PC1's on the thicker side of things. But very comfortable, and unless your firmly set in your ways, nothing to worry about. I love thin Charvel pointyhead necks, but the PC1 feels right at home in my hands, too. And, honestly, I suspect the necks have changed slightly since they went to stratheads. My old pre-strathead PC1 felt a lot thicker than my new one. But I suppose that could just be normal guitar-to-guitar variances.

Comment

I've always played with the thin Jackson necks and I had the same concerns about the PC1 neck. Now I have three of them and a couple PRS with thicker necks. It's really not that drastic a change after you play it for a little while. You just get used to it. It's not a thick as a LP if you've ever played on of those.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

It's a very comfortable neck for me. And my absolute all time favorite of all the guitars I own. Phil was an avid Les Paul player and I imagine he patterned the neck profile from a 50's neck with a little less chunk. Not quite as skinny as a 60's neck however. I can really get around on the PC1 neck and have a less acute angle at my wrist in all playing positions.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If you have no trouble with a Fender the PC1 should not be a problem.
            The are very smooth necks with killer fret work.

However you still may not like it. Trying one out is difficult unless you live nearbye certain dealers.

The only trouble you might have is if you have small hands and are trying to do 4 finger runs ala Rusty Cooley.

I think the necks on these contribute to the sustain, tone and articulation - the PC1 IMHO has the best tone of all the Jacksons.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Very interesting insights. Thank you! Yeah, I have no Jackson dealers around that carry any of the USA models.

Comment

It's very rare that small dealer will carry a PC1 in stock. You usually have to order one. However, be advised that the tops are really hit or miss. If you order one, cross your fingers for a nice top. I would advise checking out some on line dealers.
                "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver
                  Very interesting insights. Thank you! Yeah, I have no Jackson dealers around that carry any of the USA models.
                  You know this fact really surprised me. Almost all of the Jackson dealers in the state didn't carry USA models. One store in Baton Rouge had a purple PC1 on order and that was it.

Not even guitar center (Baton Rouge or New Orleans) carried a single PC1. They even looked in the computer and couldn't find a PC1 anywhere in the system. The guy told me if I wanted one it would be a 6 month wait because they had to order one from Jackson and wait to have it built for me! Absolutely insane.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know what's up with the product distribution of Jackson and Charvel guitars? Hardly anyone stocks them, so it's real difficult to try anything out. That may be a good thing for our very own sponsoring dealers, but like many, one needs to take a guitar for a test drive once in awhile! "Hello, Guitar Center, may I help you? No, all we have is a JS-30 for $99.99, with gig bag of course":ROTF:
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I know they do it to keep kids from getting their hands on $2,000 + guitars and messing them up. When that happens, nobody willing to spend that kind of money on a guitar is going to buy one all messed up (I wouldn't!).

Plus it's easier to move inexpensive guitars than high end ones. Still they could do like Mars Music used to do and keep them up high or in display cases and only let serious inquiries play them.

Comment

Neck thickness is similar to a 60's Gibson LP neck profile.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

PC1 has the best neck Jackson (non-CS) makes
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                            PC1 has the best neck Jackson (non-CS) makes
                            +1
                            -Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X