PC1 emergency! Oh boy!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 emergency! Oh boy!!

First of all, I don't know if I can describe this correctly so bear with me.

As I stated in my other post, my Sustainer came set too high because the high E string would fret out at around the 13th fret or so. So I figured all I would have to do is lower the pickup and everything would be OK, right?

Wrong!

At first I thought the adjustment screw on the lower side of the pickup wasn't working. A closer inspection showed what I did not want to see. It seems that the pickup itself is not attached to the adjustment plate (?) that the screw is moving up and down. So I can lower the screw all I want but the upper register side of the pickup won't move. It's just pushing up against the strings.

What do I do? I can't play the guitar like this because the high E frets out.

Help!!!!

Post pics.
    It's most likely an easy fix, but hard to advise without seeing what's going on.
    -Rick

Comment

I'll take one. But it might be hard to see. Everything's black in the pickup cavity. Hang on a sec.

Comment

Ok. Here's the best pic I could take:

The pickup looks like it's not "glued"? to the plate that the screw raises and lowers.

Comment

Here's what the other side looks like for comparison:

Notice there is no gap underneath the pickup on this side.

Comment

You may need to take it back where you got it and have them make the repair. Its just an option, I'm not saying you have too, just an option to consider if all else fails.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I got it used on ebay. I guess my LMS could fix it if I can't.

Comment

So you're saying the base plate moves, but the pickup itself doesn't?

Unstring it and remove both screws.
                Verify the base is attached.
                My guess is the base plate is broken off at that corner.
                Will be tricky to fix, but it may require a replacement sustainer driver.
                Take it to an authorized Fender repair shop. It won't be covered by warranty since you bought it used, but they are the only ones that can get a replacement driver. You will just have to pay for it out of your own pocket.
                -Rick

Comment

Unfortunately what you're describing seems to be the case. Here's a pic of the pickup:

The wide plastic piece you see on the pickup that is bowed in the middle of the pickup (I'm assuming this is the plate) is not attached to the pickup at all and can slide up and down. This explains why the pickup won't stay down when the plate goes down because It's not attached to the pickup at all.

So what next?

Comment

Replace the pickup. You could try some super glue first, but chances are it won't hold for long.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                      Replace the pickup.
                      Yep, +1.
                      Find someone that can do it right at a fair decent price.
                      Or research it out and learn to do it yourself.
                      The guitar is very nice, don't let this upset or dishearten you.
                      Get it fixed right and you'll be on your mountain top again.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                        Yep, +1.
                        Find someone that can do it right at a fair decent price.
                        Or research it out and learn to do it yourself.
                        The guitar is very nice, don't let this upset or dishearten you.
                        Get it fixed right and you'll be on your mountain top again.
                        I agree. It appears the flange part has seperated from the pickup body. You could straighten it, pull it back up in position and use some Med. Super glue. Like Mark said, it may or may not last. In addition, I'd call around to the local authorized Fender Dealers and see what it would cost to get the pickup replaced.
                        It's really strange to see that type of a break. I've never taken mine out, so I don't know what type of plastic it is, but the heavier weight superglue may do the job.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

This absolutely sucks! I didn't even get to play it yet.

Comment

I have some JBweld. Would that work???

Comment

I too have a PC1, in REDRUM finish even, that has almost the same problem as you have described and shown in your picture. The only difference is that my plastic mounting ring hasn't totally detached yet. Mine has only come loose on the ends. I was able to remove the pickup, resituate the wire bundle and then successfully lower my sustainer / driver. I bought mine new so I'll be trying to get a replacement sustainer / driver from my local dealer. I too thought about gluing the ring back on, but have decided not to tempt fate and just get the dealer to replace the unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X