Wood on a 97 Jackson DK-1 USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood on a 97 Jackson DK-1 USA?

Hi, I'm new here, but have had my black USA Jackson DK-1 for several years. I personally favor bolt on neck guitars, that's just what I like, so I opted to search for a DK-1 over a soloist. I bought it mint as "new old stock", and it has since become one of my favorite guitars. Anyway, the tags show the final inspection on 12/30/97. Anyone know what kind of wood the body might be made of? My amp is a 2003 Soldano SLO100 head through a Marshall 1960A cab, and I noticed the guitar to be a little dark or muddy compared to some of my other guitars, but since clipping the wires to disconnect the tone knob, what a difference in clarity and punch! Anyone else clip out the tone knobs. I have since done this to my USA strat, my Peavey wolfgang standard, my Ibanez Jem 7vwh, my Hamer centaura, and I'm about to do this even to my Les Paul. What a noticable change......highly recommended. -alex

I'd guess Alder on the DK.
    Very interesting point about noticeable tone difference after clipping the tone knob wires. Maybe I should do that to my Jem 7VWH. The tone is always set at 10 anyway.

Comment

If you never use the tone knob and can dig a little bit more brightness, clipping the tone, or even better, never having a tone control at all is a good idea.

AFAIK, the DK1 should be alder.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I'd say a 1997 black USA Dinky body is Poplar.

http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...1997Page04.htm
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I was reading an old guitar for the practicing musician magazine, and one of the tech articles recommended clipping the wires to any tone controls if they were never used and always set to ten. Apparently, even at full treble, there will be some loss of highs just by having a tone control in circuit. Like I said, what a difference. Plug into an amp, hit the strings and clip the wire while the amp is sounding, and you can hear the obvious tonal change. For some reason, that tone knob on my Jackson seemed to make the biggest difference when clipped, but all of my other guitars were had a noticable change, too. And I'm very happy with the results.

Comment

Ick - Poplar!

Nah, its tonally about the same as Alder, IMO.

Again, with a pickup without a tone control, its going to be brighter than one with a tone at 10 - if you want a little bit more bite, do it. To some people, it will sound good, to others it will not.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I've been removing my tone control from my guitar circuits for years......ever since I had a Charvel San Dimas III with the Tom Anderson style "Blower Switch" which bypasses the bridge pickup from the controls, straight to the jack.

Comment

Mine (Trans Black) is Poplar w/ maple top

Comment

Working...
                X