Jackson w. les paul tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson w. les paul tone

Thinking of getting a mahogany bodied custom shop 24.75 scale custom shop set neck Jackson. Tom bridge ,so basically get close to les paul specs but still have the Jackson playability and look. What do you guys think ,will I get close? Anyone do this here and have good results?

I love the Jackson MAHs and SLATQHs. I also have an archtop that I wouldn't trade for a Les Paul. That being said, I don't think they sound like LPs at all.

I prefer fat necks so I actually like the Les Paul as far as playability, but the right Jackson with an unfinished neck is much faster. Let's be honest here: Les Pauls have that sweet amazing tone, but a lot gets lost in the mud at the bottom end. I've never been able to get a clean sound on a Les Paul. I play Jacksons because I can actually hear each note. They're much lighter too.

I'd say look into a PC1 instead of mahogany custom. The PC1s seem heavier, a lot more body. If you go Custom with a Soloist body, I'd say you'll be disappointed if you're looking for a LP tone.

Comment

I've always wondered about the inverse - a LP body with a Jackson speed neck profile...

Comment

The old Jackson JJP (Jackson Junior Paul) was an all mahogany archtop, short scale, but it had a bolt-on painted neck and one DiMarzio Super Distortion. Sounded pretty beefy, similar to a Les Paul; though, the body was smaller and not quite as thick, more like a Dinky Les Paul.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a SLATQH and an LPC from 2005. They sound very different though the woods are the same, Mah. neck and body, maple top, ebony fretboard. I even have exactly the same pups in each. How much the set neck and scale lengths contribute to the difference I don't know. I think it is mostly the difference in mass. Your idea sounds like a nice guitar but I wouldn't expect it to sound like a LP.

Comment

You should get pretty close with those specs. I've replaced my Les Pauls with PC1's and they are more comfortable to play
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i don't need to get a jackson that sounds like a les paul. i just faff about with my boss gt-8 to get as realistic as i can. i can't stand the lp shape. ugh! if it ain't a jackson, i don't buy it.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A
                Thinking of getting a mahogany bodied custom shop 24.75 scale custom shop set neck Jackson. Tom bridge ,so basically get close to les paul specs but still have the Jackson playability and look. What do you guys think ,will I get close? Anyone do this here and have good results?
                All you need is a Charvel 750XL. The 750XL has a thick mahogany body and a maple cap, set neck, mine has a TOM bridge, 24 3/4" scale. I have one of these and 4 Les Pauls.

The pickups in the 750XL are a Duncan Distortion Mayhem set, quite different than the pickups in any of my Les Pauls. But the EQ of the 750XL is very similar to my favorite Historic LP. The 750XL doesn't sound like any of my Les Pauls, but then again none of my Les Pauls sound like each other. The main difference is the LP's seem "looser" in tone, where the 750XL is very tight and powerful. Probably just a function of the pickups.

Comment

Going with a mahogany body and a maple archtop is the way to go. The 2 archtops (Washburn x50 , Schecter C+) I have sound completely different then the soloist and dinky styles jacksons . The acoustical qualities of the archtop is going to make the difference in tone. Also go with a set vintage sounding SD 59's or pearly gates to get a classic tone and let your amp drive the distortion and not the pickups.

Comment

750XL and toss in a pair of Gibson hummers for good measure. Then throw in a dimarzio super switch and coil tap the pups. can you say PRS WHO?
                    I love mine and sounds better than the PRS's at work. Ok maybe im just biased a but but its an awsome guitar.
                    Gil

Comment

i had a short scale mahog/maple cap dinky archtop that sounded pretty damn close to an LP.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                        All you need is a Charvel 750XL. The 750XL has a thick mahogany body and a maple cap, set neck, mine has a TOM bridge, 24 3/4" scale. I have one of these and 4 Les Pauls.

The pickups in the 750XL are a Duncan Distortion Mayhem set, quite different than the pickups in any of my Les Pauls. But the EQ of the 750XL is very similar to my favorite Historic LP. The 750XL doesn't sound like any of my Les Pauls, but then again none of my Les Pauls sound like each other. The main difference is the LP's seem "looser" in tone, where the 750XL is very tight and powerful. Probably just a function of the pickups.
                        +1
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK
                          Then throw in a dimarzio super switch and coil tap the pups.
                          I went with the Stew-Mac "E" mega switch and a push pull tone pot to reverse the phase of the bridge when using neck and bridge singles. Works excellent for getting great acoustic tones out of a such a hot set of pickups.

The thing I notice from the 750XL and my lone historic LP, they both hit you in the gut - these guitar really resonate. I guess that speaks volumes of the quality of the 750XL, at least the one I have.

Comment

Another vote for the 750xl w/TOM bridge, assuming you can find one for sale, that is. Heck, just getting a CS Jackson with those exact specs would be a pricey endeavor, to be sure.

I have a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of mine, and it gets pretty thick but still has bite. I won't go so far as to say that it has the exact LP tone, but it's definitely living in the same neighborhood.

Comment

just get a gibson. the les paul classics are nice

Comment

Working...
                              X