No announcement yet.

Jackson w. les paul tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No matter how hard you try a strat shaped guitar aint gonna sound like a les paul, the body shape is what gives it the tone, the thick slab of mahogany.

Comment

I agree...for a Lp sound you gotta go with a LP.

Comment

HMM if the shape has something to do with the tone of a paul then why does the ESP Eclipse sound like ass?.. lol Its more the wood used the thickness of the wood, the quality of the wood and the construction rather than the shape of the guitar. Mass has alot ot do with it too. A Les Paul spc. ( the flat top one. Sounds differnat then say a LP STD does. A closer match would be an SG to a LP Spc and the SG sounds thinnner? Why you ask? cus the Sg is thinner than the LP. It hs nothing to do with the shape. Yes an explorer sounds differant then say a les paul becuase there is no maple on an Explorer and the body is bigger than a Les Paul is. It has more mass. The 750XL is an amaizing guitar for the price and its made pretty much like a Les Paul aside form its shape. and obviously the ones with a trem. My 750 sounds very much like my les paul. But i have differant pup sin it and its differant pieces of wood. 2 les pauls dont sound exactly the same either. each piece of wood has its own individual charactor in tone. But i think the 750 is the best bet to get the Les Paul sound with out paying 2g's for a guitar.
        Gil

Comment

i agree to a point, but if you made a flying v and a lespaul out of the same piece of mahogany, the les paul would still have a huge bottom end bass response and a thicker tone, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by maiden_fan
            i agree to a point, but if you made a flying v and a lespaul out of the same piece of mahogany, the les paul would still have a huge bottom end bass response and a thicker tone, IMO.
            Not completely true but it is too a point. The Les Paul has a maple cap and a slightly thicker mohogany back then the V has. But the V is longer and has more lateral mass then the Les Paul. But the maple does have an effect on the tone of the Paul. The maple typically creates the tighter bottom end and gives it a bit more clearity then the V.
            But i see your point. Theres a few more factors involved then just the same peice of mohagony.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Cory
              I agree...for a Lp sound you gotta go with a LP.
              so basically get close to les paul specs but still have the Jackson playability and look.
              He dont want no stinking les paul!!!!

BTW, I understand what you guys are saying. I have never put this mahogany meatwhich up against a paul. The maple top is pretty thick but,you cannot tell since it is a archtop. But, there is definately a ring to it that screams towards the les paul tone. Especially when playing the instrument unplugged. I can imagine hitting it pretty close with a pickup change.

Excuse the pics. They were taken ain a hurry.

-Nate
              Last edited by nateb; 09-13-2006, 07:59 PM.
              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

that archtop is sweet, what serial # is it?
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

The old thread cannot be found. So, I will just tell the story.

when I graduated from college, I bought my first Jackson. It was this used "Jackson Soloist SL-1" according to guitar center. I ended up talking them down to 600.00 (I think) because some of the frets have a little bit away from the binding. So, I basically said that I had to give it a new fret job.

So, I had this thing for years. I finally wanted to find out what it was after about 10 years, and Harmony Central pointed me here.

This guitar has no serial number which left a big question mark in everyones head. Well, after about 3 pages of deliberation from the Jackson know it all's of know it all's these good guys here determined that it was a 85 San Dimas Archtop Soloist due to the placement of the "Made in the USA" and the location of the Trademark. If memory serves me correctly, it was a employee guitar and a prototype since they never made archtops in 85. It was really cool to find out what it actually was.
                  Last edited by nateb; 09-14-2006, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nateb
                    The old thread cannot be found. So, I will just tell the story.

when I graduated from college, I bought my first Jackson. It was this used "Jackson Soloist SL-1" according to guitar center. I ended up talking them down to 600.00 (I think) because some of the frets have a little bit away from the binding. So, I basically said that I had to give it a new fret job.

So, I had this thing for years. I finally wanted to find out what it was after about 10 years, and Harmony Central pointed me here.

This guitar has no serial number which left a big question mark in everyones head. Well, after about 3 pages of deliberation from the Jackson know it all's of know it all's these good guys here determined that it was a 85 San Dimas Archtop Soloist due to the placement of the "Made in the USA" and the location of the Trademark. If memory serves me correctly, it was a employee guitar and a prototype since they never made archtops in 85. It was really cool to find out what it actually was.
                    I remember that thread very well, I was really shocked by the knowledge! Great guitar btw.
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine
                      I remember that thread very well, I was really shocked by the knowledge! Great guitar btw.
                      Thanks a lot man. I was very lucky. The only good thing harmony central has ever done fro me is point me here. This place rules for information. Not as much bullshit to sift through.

-Nate

Comment

*and* this was a short scale as well...i miss this guitar...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I just wish I'd been the one to have taken that guitar off your hands George....
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon
                            I remember that guitar! Why is there a dot on the binding at the 23rd fret and not the 24th?
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                              I remember that guitar! Why is there a dot on the binding at the 23rd fret and not the 24th?
                              Do you guys ever miss anything?
                              Check my bands!
                              www.myspace.com/magicktr
                              www.myspace.com/sinif64
                              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

No.
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X