those 88XXX plates... whats the story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• those 88XXX plates... whats the story

I ask because I bought this one off eBay a fe years ago. I was told those plate#s were reserved for gift and endorsee guitars. Mine is a strathead with serial #88556

I would appreciate a few learned opinions on this. I know the model 88 ran up to # 500....

It's not a competition, it's a community

Those plates were made for the "Jackson '88 Limited" run, which was a run of Strat-style guitars from the Jackson custom shop with denim finishes, slanted single coil in the neck and humbucker in the bridge. I think they had JT-6 trems but can't recall for sure. I don't think that plate is original to your guitar, but then stranger things have happened....

Comment

There's a few 88xxx plates that pop-up on ebay all the time.
      Judging by the location of the volume knob and selector switch on your guitar, it does not appear to be an original J/C body... nice lacewood figure in it though. I could be wrong of course.
      The neck looks like a very nice reproduction neck.
      -Rick

Comment

When I bought this a few years ago on ebay this guitar was discussed and the endorsee and promotional guitar story was mentioned by a few members. The neck is actually one of the nicest I own. I would like to know what Jacksons take is on this guitar.

Comment

i got a 885XX (cant remember) plate on a parts guitar and easton had a bunch of spare plates as well(selling on ebay) It seems there were more plates made than guitars for the run but i cant be positive.

chris

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas

Isn't this one of those models released only in Japan for the Japanese market? Or maybe the German market?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wondered if it was one of the 'euro Charvels' as well, but I'm pretty sure the logo is too small as the 'oversized' logo was one thing that people always seem to criticise on those. Obviously, that would have been a pretty easy change though....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Oh, yeah. Here's the German one from the Gallery with the oversized logo. It does have the Jackson plate, though.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mine has Japanese writing in the trem route... I did hear that it was somthing regarding overseas.. Jackson shaped control cavity, not san dimas

Comment

Working...
                  X