Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New RR with Sloppy Paint - Send it Back? - WWYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RR with Sloppy Paint - Send it Back? - WWYD?

My new RR arrived yesterday. I'm disappointed to say that it's another victim of sloppy paint work. It's limited to the recessed trem route cavity as shown in the pics below (only two sides of the cavity, actually), so it really isn't visable to anyone but us guitar geeks. Minor stuff, admittedly - looks like the paint wasn't sanded before being clearcoated? Or maybe it's the wood underneath that wasn't sanded smooth first? Not sure what the deal is.

Paint work is otherwise cool - no other flaws. And the guitar seems absolutely top notch in all other regards - great neck, tone, action, etc. Took all of 10 minutes to nail down a great set-up. Real nice guitar, actually. Nontheless, thinking of sending her back for a refund.

The flaw is minor enough that I'm having a hard time deciding what to do here. I go back and forth. Then again, not sure if this could turn into a bigger paint issue with time. Probably better to be safe than sorry. Help me out with your opinions & experitise. Especially if there are any folks with paint experience out there! What would you do?

...And, oh yeah. I have all of 24hrs to decide ( ), so speed is of the essence.

Wow that looks pretty dang rough there.

I'd be able to live with it, but it might kill your resale value.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

It's only in the trem route... not a big deal, IMO.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm with Toejam on this one, can you even see it with the trem in place? I say keep her

Comment

Originally posted by ShredOrAlive
          can you even see it with the trem in place?
          Yes, you can. Up close, it's noticable. My eye was drawn to it within 30 seconds of first opening up the case. But from a distance, not so much.

Comment

It isn't a big deal, but I'm assuming you're like me when it comes to guitars. That would bother me if it were mine and I wouldn't stop thinking about it... ever. If that's the only issue with the guitar, I think you should keep it despite the paint flaw. It's pretty much impossible to find a 100% perfect guitar.
            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Did you call 123 to see if they'd take some $$ off the price for the bum paint job? Unless they cut you a smoking deal on it when you first bought it I'd prob send it back since it's noticable with the trem down. Just my $.02

Comment

I've seen lots of rough trem routes on well made guitars. Personally, it wouldn't bother me.
                This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I'd let it go but I'd mention it to the retailer to maybe get something out of it ,either some cash back or some free stuff.

Comment

it wouldn't bother me at all, really. it's not in the least bit uncommon (in general) for the insides of routs to have that kind of texture. it looks to me like overspray (clear that's dry before it hits the surface and flows out). run it past your dealer and ask his opinion and go from there, i guess.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

hmm, i was faced with a similar predicament about a year ago. i accepted an alternative guitar of similar value, totally different altogether. what you got there is not what you paid for. i'd get a refund if you're entitled. but that's just me.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Sorry bout that Pat. My HRF King V is real dull in the trem route and shows some of the blue paint through the black but I dont mind....lets see a shot of the whole body so we can see what it looks like from further away.....I would probably just keep it

Comment

I've seen that quite a few times also in the trem route, wouldnt bother me alot, but i'm not you.
                          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                            it wouldn't bother me at all, really.
                            I think I would feel the same way. As a matter of fact, I am gonna check the Jacksons that I bought new and see if I have any like that. To be honest, I never really looked in the trem cavity.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Maybe it's the Whiteness of it making it so prominent, but neither my black NASL nor The Halford (black WRMG) look that noticeable. My Cherry NASL also doesn't look that rough. None are as smooth as the outer body - they all have a bit of texture - but none of them are as noticeable as that appears to be.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X