Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New RR with Sloppy Paint - Send it Back? - WWYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is common with a very quick paint job. That is overspray created by the turbulance in passing the gun over a cavity. The paint is not allowed to flow like Sully mentioned. If more attention is given, that result can be eliminated. This bothers me as a lack of attention to detail and cutting corners With proper sanding between the coats and a proper "flowout" at the final coat this can be eliminated. Since this commonly happens, I have a technique when I paint and buff out the guitar to completely eliminate this type of defect. For me, this would be acceptable if it were a covered control cavity, but not in a exposed trem rout.
    With this, I would sand it smooth and paint the cavity, either white or black.
    As mentioned before, possibly getting a price break or something. But, that may prove difficult.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If it doesn't meet your expectations, then why should they get the money they expected?

Comment

Thanks for the all of the insights - you guys are likely right. Although I've never had one like this before (all of my other routes are clean) it's probably normal, albeit the sloppy side of "normal". And, given my recent experiences, yes I'm probably being overly sensitive to the QC thing. ...But you know what? I'm going to send it back anyway. Although I could live with it and not lose any sleep, well...meh...I don't want to. Admittedly, that judgement call could go either way.

So the guitar will go back to Music123. (Makes for an easier decision when you're sending it back to a big box dealer. :P ) If someone wants a nice deal on this RR, it'll probably show up on their web site again in a week or two. You can thank me for the killer set-up. And if you're worried about a return yourself, be assured they were good to deal - I'm not even out the shipping.

Besides, I just sealed the deal on a nice KV2 to replace it. Hopefully, that experience will go better. Stay tuned.

Thanks again, guys.

Comment

Booooooo!
          No pics before ya send it back?
          Which KV did you snag?

Comment

Let us have some pics of the new guitar....

You were right to send it back, you have a right as a consumer.

Am happy about your decision.

Comment

Too bad, if it had a strait neck and played great I'd probably keep it but if you plan on re-selling it someday then you want a perfect one for re-sale value. Good luck!
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe
                It's normal, but not to that degree. I checked all of my recessed trem routes and none are that bad. In fact, the Rands are as smooth as the rest of the guitar
                I checked 2 of mine.

The snow white pearl KE2 is similar to that, but not as severe.

The black w/ white bev WR1 is smooth in there, just not as glossy as the top.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah, I would have sent it back. I looked at the pictures a little closer and I missed that bare wood in there Man, to me that is TOTALLY unacceptable. By the time the primer is put on and the top coat white, that should have been covered. When I use white primer for a white or light colored guitar, I always have the primer cover everything! I sand the primer smooth in the cavities as well to avoid the "dingle berry" effect. Good move!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I probably wouldn't have sent it back, but then guitar aesthetics aren't as important to me. I certainly wouldn't have sent it back if the guitar played and sounded exceptionally good. Ultimately, that's what it's all about.

I must say though, that a little more attention to detail is expected on such an expensive instrument.

Comment

By request... Apologies for the cruddy picture. I was in a rush to box it up and make it to FedEx by closing time, so it turned out somewhat blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                        By request... Apologies for the cruddy picture. I was in a rush to box it up and make it to FedEx by closing time, so it turned out somewhat blurry.

Nice guitar, but still you are right to send it back...i'm a perfectionist and always notice flaws on stuff, i could clearly see bare wood on your pictures. Like i said earlier these guitars are expensive and good make, so you should not expect anything less! We want quality.

Comment

IMHO, that's absolutely typical.

Comment

I rarely buy guitars with recessed trems but on the ones I have had the paint jobs were very smooth.
                            My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

When I paint a guitar I typically try my best to wet that area down with clear real good, but still they are sometimes a little rough. In a production atmosphere I can see where it would be difficult to get every one perfect.
                              With that said, I think you're being a bit picky!
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic
                                IMHO, that's absolutely typical.
                                Sorry, its not a matter of opinion. It is not typical to that degree on a high end guitar, period. Typical for an import maybe, but not in this case.

Comment

Working...
                                X