Pickup for SL2HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for SL2HT

I know this has been asked before but my search hasn't come up with much. I absolutely hate the JB in my Soloist. I play mostly classic rock and early 90's and older metal. The 59 in the neck sounds great but the bridge just flat out sounds like ass.

Those of you that have changed it out what did you choose?

Bill & Becky 500XL

Comment

DiMarzio Tone Zone.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Duncan Distortion SH6

Comment

Duncan Custom SH-5

Comment

I second the tone zone -- for a high output picked it is very well balanced. But I think it's better for a more modern sound than what you are maybe going for.

I also like the Duncan Custom Custom a lot for a hot yet more classic & gritty tone.

Comment

+ a gadzillion for the Tone Zone in the bridge!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I reckon a Custom or Custom 5 sound good for what you want from em..

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                  DiMarzio Tone Zone.
                  Those Soloist sound bits sound pretty damn good with that tone zone. Are you happy with the sound of yours? Will add this one to the list of possibilities along with the SD Custom, APH-1 and the PATB series.

Comment

DiMarzio X2N, but keep the '59 in the neck for cleans
                    Gear--- 2005 ESP LTD Dave Mustaine Axxion
                    Roland Micro Cube

Comment

Originally posted by Elfastball7
                      DiMarzio X2N, but keep the '59 in the neck for cleans
                      that 59 ain't going anywhere, I like it.

Comment

I absolutely love the Tone Zone, hate the JB. The JB has lots of high mids and treble with not much bass, the TZ has more bass and low mids but is pretty balanced overall with the highs.
                        I put a TZ in an old string-thru Dinky (poplar body), now I've got one in my alder Charvel Star (replaced the stock Duncan Custom 5 and am much happier). It works pretty well with the Jazz in the neck, too.
                        The Custom 5 was too scooped in the mids for my tastes. I'm more of a DiMarzio fan, but I've always liked the regular Duncan Custom as well as the Invader, '59, Pearly Gates and Pearly Gates Plus.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

But how does the TZ sound in a SL2HT?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidk
                            I know this has been asked before but my search hasn't come up with much. I absolutely hate the JB in my Soloist. I play mostly classic rock and early 90's and older metal. The 59 in the neck sounds great but the bridge just flat out sounds like ass.

Those of you that have changed it out what did you choose?
                            Please define what "ass" sounds like

Lots of people complain that the JB has too much treble, if so, go for something with more bass. IMHO the Tone Zone sounds muddy in the bridge, but of course it will depend hugely on the guitar you drop it in. I think the tone zone sounds better in the neck.

I'd say try a Duncan invader, or maybe even a Duncan custom.
                            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I have a TZ in my sl2ht, lots of output with better mid definition.
                              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                              X