• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shops Merge Within FMIC

So, it finally happened.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FMIC ESTABLISHES CUSTOM DIVISION
    Industry Veteran Mike Eldred To Take The Lead

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (August 29, 2006) – Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC), the world’s foremost manufacturer of guitars, amplifiers and related equipment, today announced the creation of its new FMIC Custom Division. Effective immediately, the new FMIC Custom Division will join together the global marketing, sales and manufacturing efforts of all high-end and custom instruments created by FMIC’s brands.

FMIC’s Mike Eldred has been promoted to Director of Sales and Marketing, FMIC Custom Division. Mike is uniquely qualified for this position, bringing more than 25 years of experience from within the musical instrument industry with roles ranging from manufacturing, sales and marketing.

All FMIC brands—Including Fender®, Guild®, Gretsch®, Jackson®, Charvel®, Tacoma®, Squier® and SWR—will be influenced in some way by the FMIC Custom Division. Its goal is to expand and enhance FMIC’s global custom opportunities and offerings for all brands. It will also help to build and develop a high-end market base of FMIC consumers, which will be beneficial not only for FMIC, but also for its dealers and distributors throughout the world.

Additionally, the FMIC Custom Division looks to work closely with global retailers to develop programs that will offer their consumers the opportunity to buy these limited instruments only at their stores.

Said Mike Eldred, “For the past 20 years, the Fender Custom Shop has pushed the envelope to blend our rich legacy and unique R&D capabilities to set the standard in custom and high-end products and design.”

“We’re now in a position to take this to another level,” added Eldred. “We’ve always envisioned creating a high-end, custom aspect that would affect instruments for all our brands. In fact, we have been doing that with some of our brands already, utilizing the many talents of our seasoned craftsmen, who are considered the best in the world. Our goal now is to create a seamless, global high-end team, and to elevate the recognition and status of entire family of best-selling brands.”

The production of instruments from the FMIC Custom Division will be housed at its facilities in Corona, California and Tacoma, Washington. The Corona facility will focus primarily on making custom instruments for the Fender Custom Shop, Gretsch, Jackson, Guild electrics, Charvel and SWR, while the Tacoma facility will focus on custom Guild and Tacoma acoustic instruments.

From the sales and marketing side, Eldred’s role is global in that he will be working closely with FMIC’s global sales team, marketing managers, research and development and manufacturing. Additionally, he will work directly with high-end dealers, artists, and consumers to tailor unique products and programs.

“Part of this global strategy is to open five to six high-end Custom Showrooms throughout the world where our dealers and artists have 24 hour access to a room that houses over one million dollars worth of FMIC brand instruments,” said Eldred. “The first of these was opened in 2005 in Düsseldorf Germany, and the next one will open in Tokyo, Japan late 2006.”

Added Eldred, “These are private, by-appointment-only lounges where artists like John Mayer or Jeff Beck are welcome when they are in town. Also, any high-end consumer can set up an appointment with their retailer and they will both come in, sit down, relax and play any number of our Custom Shop instruments. Unlike the typical environment at a music store, this more of a private club and a totally unique experience.”

Prior to assuming his current role, Mike Eldred served as the Fender Custom Shop Production Manager, and Fender’s Marketing Manager for the Custom Shop product line. Previous to his ten year career at FMIC, Mike served as the Guitar Product Manager and Guitar & Bass Artist Relations Manager for Yamaha Musical Instruments Corporation. Mike’s career in the M.I. industry began in 1979 at Charvel in San Dimas, California, where he was hired by Grover Jackson as the company’s first employee. As part of his new position, Mike has relocated to FMIC’s headquarters in Scottsdale, Arizona.

# # #

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is the world’s foremost manufacturer of guitars, amplifiers, and related equipment. Since 1946, the name Fender has become synonymous with all things rock ‘n’ roll: from Buddy Holly to Jimi Hendrix to Eric Clapton to Kurt Cobain and everything in between. Fender’s iconic instruments such as the Telecaster®, Stratocaster®, Precision Bass® and Jazz Bass® guitars are known the world over as the instruments that started the rock revolution, and they continue to be highly prized among today’s hottest guitarists and collectors alike. FMIC markets using the brand names Fender®, Squier®, Guild®, Gretsch®, Jackson®, Charvel®, SWR®, Tacoma®, Olympia® and Brand X®.
    Because I don't say it
    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Hmmm.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

oh well, had to happen sooner or later with the takeover. Looks like i'll be ordering my cs from ESP or get an Ibanez

Comment

I think we're going to get more of the "pre-fender" stories after this!
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

This has a good side really. For example, this means that Yuri Shiskov (currently Senior Master Builder for Fender CS) will be available for making custom Jacksons too. Prior to Fender the guy was working at Washburn CS, actually he WAS Washburn CS and in particular he was buiding ALL personal Washburns for Dimebag.

Because I don't say it
          Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

so I can finally get a 3 single coil, pickguarded strathead Kelly now? About time!
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Source??? I can´t find this anywhere else but here ...... considering that the "Press release" is a month old, you´d think that someone else would know about it....

Not because I don´t trust you in specific, but peopple have been spewing SO much utter bullshit these last few weeks regarding JCMI/FMIC that I no longer believe anything some player says if I can´t research and verify it myself

Comment

http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Is this really news?

We knew that the Jackson and Charvel CS wasn't exactly miles from the Fender CS, and it seems widely known that Eldred was back in a senior position....
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Looking over it agin, considering what I already know.... This may also be a good step forward in Jackson distribution... especially outside of the US

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                      so I can finally get a 3 single coil, pickguarded strathead Kelly now? About time!

All hail the Kellocaster!
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Too much wood showing, you gotta make the pickguard cover at least 85% of the surface

So does this mean any CS Jackson I order next year will be robo-cut on the same machines that the Fender CSs are? :ROTF:

"High-end consumers" - you mean the people with more money than talent? the people that buy guitars as art pieces? Those 'tards?
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Who qualifies as a high-end consumer?Do I have to bring proof of my last paycheck to get an appointment at the showroom in Düsseldorf?Oh well, as long as the japanese Jackson Stars line continues to exist I'll just sit back and watch the fun.If there is actually any truth to this.
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Caviar and guitar anyone?
                            We must!
                            We must!
                            We must increase the bust!
                            The bigger the better!
                            The tighter the sweater!
                            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Great. I bet it'll be right up there with the "Master Built" CS Fenders in prices.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X