First USA pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First USA pics

First of all hi to everyone on this forum, I'm sure there are a lot of great players here. And by the way, thanks, you've been great in educating me about Jackson guitars since I've been reading here.

Got my first USA jackson on Monday, very impressed. Needs a truss rod adjustment (the B string rattles and bends at the 17th fret go dead) but that's probably due to the change in humidity. Other than this the workmanship's great, plays fantastic. I love the flat fretboard, jumbo frets and neck shape. As well as improving my playing this guitar will be my personal homage to 80's hard rock and metal when it's on display to visitors. For some reason when I think of Jacksons I immediately think Megadeth! How about this for a slogan for Jackson 'the state of the art high performance guitar' - I think it would describe Jackson better than 'extreme' or whatever they ended up using, because extreme makes me think of death metal.

The humidity here is about 56% downstairs, 63% upstairs - I'm wondering if I should get a dehumidifier. I think the recommended range is between 45-55%, but would it hurt to have it up to 67% or so? Also, do you guys generally get all your adjustments done by a tech, or are you content to do them on your own? A quarter turn of the truss rod shouldn't really be that difficult, but then I don't want to screw up the super smooth playing and undo the work of somebody far more experienced than me with Jacksons at the factory.
    Anyway, onto the pics, enjoy!

Last edited by overdriven; 09-26-2006, 05:34 PM.

Black.... my favorite color =)

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Regarding the string buzz, let the guitar sit a few days in one room to acclimate. Wood flexes, but it doesn't flex too quickly. Give it time to settle into its new home before you go tweaking it.

Also, check the neck alignment before going for the trussrod - it could be straight and you just have a fret issue that no amount of trussrod tweaking will overcome.

Could also be that the tremolo is too low on one side.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Verrrry nice!

Comment

BLACKENED! Nice.
          "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Super nice! and Welcome aboard I do my own setups. The first thing I always recommend is to get the book Guitar Player's Repair Guide and How to Make Your Guitar Play Better by Dan Erlewine. The Repair guide is my first choice. Get an old guitar, some tools recommended in the book and practice setting the guitar up. Then move on to your better guitars. It will become second nature after awhile, but I always reference Dan's books. He also has some great videos as well.

Also, a tip, when setting your neck and action, it's best to let the neck settle for a day before adjusting your intonation.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Nice. None more black!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

excellent!

Comment

Nice Guitar!
                  I love my SL2H's.

Comment

OD, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first, but not your last, USA Jackson.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice USA Jackson. Welcome to the GAS club.

Comment

Welcome! That's a nice soloist you have there!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Regarding the string buzz, let the guitar sit a few days in one room to acclimate. Wood flexes, but it doesn't flex too quickly. Give it time to settle into its new home before you go tweaking it.

Also, check the neck alignment before going for the trussrod - it could be straight and you just have a fret issue that no amount of trussrod tweaking will overcome.

Could also be that the tremolo is too low on one side.
                          I checked the relief by pressing the 1st and 24th frets and using a feeler guage at the 8th, there is absolutely no gap. I'll let it settle for a few days.

I guess people don't really bother about humidity since no one's mentioed it. I'm wondering if 63% is going to be OK with the neck as thin as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by overdriven View Post
                            I guess people don't really bother about humidity since no one's mentioed it. I'm wondering if 63% is going to be OK with the neck as thin as it is.
                            I was going to, but then changed my mind. Humidity in my guitar room is 68-70% (pretty much the same as the rest of the house)! Is that too much? After I read in your post that the recommended humidity is around 50% I think that could be the reason why all my screws and string rust so quick on my axes. I could lower it, but how woud that affect me and my breathing? I spend about 5 hours daily in that room.

Comment

Nice guitar! Axe for rusting strings etc....do you guys put silica gel in your cases?
                              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                              X