Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experts want to help me identify my guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experts want to help me identify my guitar?

Hey guys, back in early 92 I bought (new) a Jackson USA bolt on guitar. They had it advertized as a Fusion. I didn't know much about the differences between the different models at the time I bought it, but I fell in love with it as soon as I played it and it's been my main guitar ever since. I don't think it's a Fusion though, and was hoping someone could tell me what it really is. First off, the neck scale is 25 1/2, not 24 3/4. It has the JE-1200 electronics with 3 pickup selector toggle switches and 3 pots (vol, tone, mid-boost). It is also extremely heavy for its size, there's no way its made of basswood- I've played mahogany guitars the same size that were lighter. The serial number is 001274 which makes it a 1991 model. Other things about the guitar are pretty standard for the Fusion models of that era- unfinished thin neck, lower bout cutaway and the scallop on the back of the guitar just below the neck, eerie dess paint, sharkfin inlays on ebony.
    Did the builders at Jackson experiment with different woods, neck scale and electronics and such back then? Anybody else have something similar? I'll try and put up a couple pics later this afternoon if that would help.
    Last edited by Yonzai; 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM. Reason: added pictures

We need pics!!

The 3 mini toggles would normally date it to earlier than 92. Fusions had vol / tone / 5 way with a mini-switch for the mid-boost and as you say, they are shorter scale.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by Yonzai View Post
      with 3 pickup selector toggle switches
      Is it a 3 way pick-up switch or are there 3 distinct mini swithces? The only strat shaped bolt-on Usa production guitar from 1990-1991 is the Usa Fusion which doesn't have those mini switches...

http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...ges/Page43.htm

Originally posted by Yonzai View Post
      First off, the neck scale is 25 1/2, not 24 3/4. It has the JE-1200 electronics with 3 pickup selector toggle switches and 3 pots (vol, tone, mid-boost). It is also extremely heavy for its size, there's no way its made of basswood
      Are you sure about the scale lenght? And weight is not directly related to the type of the wood used. The slsmg (superlight weight soloist) is an all mahogany guitar for example So yours can be basswood...

Pictures will be helpfull
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

My Charvel Model 1A and 4 are both basswood and are both very heavy. Wood comes in all different weights.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
          Is it a 3 way pick-up switch or are there 3 distinct mini swithces? The only strat shaped bolt-on Usa production guitar from 1990-1991 is the Usa Fusion which doesn't have those mini switches...

http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...ges/Page43.htm

Are you sure about the scale lenght? And weight is not directly related to the type of the wood used. The slsmg (superlight weight soloist) is an all mahogany guitar for example So yours can be basswood...

Pictures will be helpfull
          Yep, 3 small individual toggle switches, one for each pickup, 2 position either on or off. No 3-way toggle on the guitar.

I measured from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, and it's 12 and 3/4 inches (almost exactly, give or take 1/64 or so).

I guess as far as the weight goes I have always thought of it as a heavy guitar, but never thought about what type of wood was used. When I started looking at this site (which I just stumbled on a couple weeks back, very cool by the way) I found out that the Fusion was supposed to be basswood, which is supposed to be a very light wood. I remember a few years back a friend bought a Charvel (don't know the model, but same body shape without the lower bout cutaway), same unfinished bolt neck (a bit thicker though) same Hum/single/single pickup config, but with the 5-way slide toggle, and it was much lighter- a night and day difference. My guitar is much much heavier. I know that's not a very accurate way to describe it, but it's the best I can do. People I've let play it usually comment on it's weight soon after strapping it on.

Anyway, I guess the weight isn't that important one way or another, other than as a clue to what kind of wood is used. Is there a better way to figure that out?

I'll take some pictures this afternoon when I get home.

Comment

Okay, I have pictures. Not the greatest but they should do the trick.

Serial number is actually 001294, not 001274 (I was going from memory earlier today)

Here's the electronics cover plate removed, JE-1200 midboost circuit

And here's my tape measure for scale length

Again, I bought this new in early 1992, I'm the only owner, and no modifications have ever been performed (except my blocking the tremolo). Bought at at Rhythm City in Atlanta (Now Guitar Center).

The serial number says it's a 1991, which equates to a USA fusion, although it seems to have the wrong scale length... At this point I'm mystified, anyone else have something remotely similar?

Thanks for your help!
            (And no I don't want to sell )

Comment

this one is a 91 dinky.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I think the 3 toggles, and 3 controls were fairly common on dinkys in 91.your's is a dinky.
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                  I think the 3 toggles, and 3 controls were fairly common on dinkys in 91.your's is a dinky.
                  I guess that makes sense, but I thought they didn't make any Jackson USA Dinky models until around 93'? I guess it's quite possible that they did and just didn't put it in their catalogs or advertising. Kinda weird one way or the other though.

That swirl tie-dye looks pretty cool too!

Comment

You're correct in that there was no USA production model known as a dinky until the early 90's. Up til this time, everything was effectively a CS order, but Jackson brought in a range of standard models in the early 90's (dinky included) based on popular body styles offered before this time.
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

No, what he's saying is that Fusions and Dinkys were not in production simultaneously. That has long been my understanding as well, based on guitars I've owned as well as notes that Charvel750 and I compared a few years ago regarding these models.

IIRC we were able to determine that Fusions stopped at or just after serial # 001000, and Dinkys started at or near 001100.

All of the Fusions I've had were below 001200, and all the Dinkys I've had were over 001200, again, IIRC.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        No, what he's saying is that Fusions and Dinkys were not in production simultaneously. That has long been my understanding as well, based on guitars I've owned as well as notes that Charvel750 and I compared a few years ago regarding these models.

IIRC we were able to determine that Fusions stopped at or just after serial # 001000, and Dinkys started at or near 001100.

All of the Fusions I've had were below 001200, and all the Dinkys I've had were over 001200, again, IIRC.
                        Yep, the´s the way I remember the concensus being as well last time we discussed this here on teh JCF as well....

But regardless of what we think, the pictured guitar is most definitely a dinky

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                          this one is a 91 dinky.
                          woooowwww now THAT is a nice tasty finish! now someone hand me a towel or a replacement keyboard...
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

this dinky is from 93, with 4 digit serial# with import neck.
                            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Another shot
                              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Working...
                              X