SL2H string tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H string tension

Is there a "correct" setting for string tension?

I was messing with the intonation on one of my SL2H's and noticed that the string tension was increased after I adjusted the intonation. I liked it better the way it felt before. So I'm wondering is there a 'right' amount string tension setting? How does one measure it? I'm just going by how it feels.

Well, when adjusting intonation by moving the saddle forward or backward, you are affecting the tension a slight amount. If you move the saddle back, away from the nut, you're lengthening the string and, therefore, making it tighter. Moving the saddle forward, towards the neck, is making the string shorter, and the feel of the string will be looser.
    There's really no "correct" tension. If a string gauge feels too loose or tight for you, then go to a lower or higher gauge or different brand of strings.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

In addition, it's going to vary slightly with each string change and brand change. It may just be a case of you not being use to the guitar. when I got my first Jackson it took a while to get use to the different neck & nut width. What strings and guage are you using now? Did you mess with the action?

Comment

Usually you don't adjust the intonation unless you're also adjusting the action, or did this arrive at your place with bad intonation?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've had the guitar for awhile now. It felt and sounded good. I put on a new set of strings and decided to check and adjust the intonation as it was off a little. By the time I was done the guitar felt different. The added tension was noticable. I put the intonation back to where it was to begin with and it sounds and feels like before.

Comment

Chances are the guitar was originally set up and intonated for a different gauge strings than are currently on it. I can't imagine having to move the saddles enough to cause a noticable feel in string tension. What string gauges are on it? If it felt too tight when intonated correctly, I'd go to the next lighter string gauge, then set the action and intonation, and see how it feels.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
            X