Stock sl-1 vs. ke-2 w/ emg 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock sl-1 vs. ke-2 w/ emg 81

Yesterday on a gig I entered my pod-xt thru the fx return of a marshall head with a 4x12 cab. and tweaked the volume... I played a friends Soloist with the stock Jb until the last 2 songs. When I plugged my ke-2 (with an emg 81 on the bridge as stated on the title and also the floyd is blocked) there was a huge difference in my tone. It got really full and 10x tighter. I've always loved the way my kelly sounds with the 81 but I had never realised it that well. Moreover in the morning while I was practising with the sl-1 I thought it sounded really well (Jb is one of my favorite pick-ups.)

I don't know whether the emg 81 or the blocked floyd caused that difference (maybe both?) but I started thinking of going active on all of my guitars I guess

ps: No pictures yet Ron
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

It's the pick-ups. I'm a huge fan of SD's and love the sound but when I a/b'd them against the EMGs in my other guitars, I had to switch. I just did the swap to my Soloist and KV2, the last of my guitars with passives. I find the sound is tighter for what I play. Of course, I'm keeping the SD's because you never know.

At practice tonight my KV2 with the new EMGs was perfect... playing, sound, feel... just perfect! I thought it was just the good mood since we've got a cool show this weekend with Deicide but I'm going to have to go with the guitar. It must've been a great day in the built shop, my KV2 is flawless.

Comment

Is there a way to get the active performance from an passive pickup through a foot pedal or anything like that?

I also have a KV2, but I'm nervous about messing with it to the extent of replacing parts etc.

I'm just a basement jammer, so I don't if that makes a difference on what I can use.

Comment

The Seymour Duncan Pick-up booster helps but I believe it's primarily for single coil pick-ups. You can use a compressor to level out the sound and an eq to tighten it up. imo, replacing the pu's is very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by jblicharz View Post
          The Seymour Duncan Pick-up booster helps but I believe it's primarily for single coil pick-ups. You can use a compressor to level out the sound and an eq to tighten it up. imo, replacing the pu's is very easy.
          Thanks \m/

Comment

JB is Def. not the tightest PU!I am not a Huge fan of actives ,so you can use an Invader or Fullshred or even a Custom to make everything tighter!
            Or you can use '59 and boost it with MXR 10 band equalizer.
            The real compromise between actives tightness/punch and passives organic tone is the SD PATB series!I am really glad to have PATB2!
            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
              JB is Def. not the tightest PU!I am not a Huge fan of actives ,so you can use an Invader or Fullshred or even a Custom to make everything tighter!
              Or you can use '59 and boost it with MXR 10 band equalizer.
              The real compromise between actives tightness/punch and passives organic tone is the SD PATB series!I am really glad to have PATB2!
              I'm planning on installing Invaders on one of my dinkies. I hope that will result ok! I never had the chance to play a patb2, I should some day...
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                I'm planning on installing Invaders on one of my dinkies. I hope that will result ok! I never had the chance to play a patb2, I should some day...
                If you check my myspace account ,you can hear them.
                or i have many clips with them on my soundclick

www.soundclick.com/ear

Invader on a dinky!It will be really ice picky!And it will be hard to give a nice lead tone.
                I heard your bands music and i could say stay away.it is just wasting money for your needs and guitar!
                Go with SH-6 Distortion (louder than jb ,actually JB with Ceramic magnet)
                Sh-5 custom(tight as hell but soloing is not my cup of tea)
                PATB2 (the best bet)

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Working...
                X