Ke2 owners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ke2 owners!

Hi guys!I am new here and i am looking for some "objective" opinions about your Kellys!
    I rellay dig the modell and the sound.
    But pros and cons needed to be known ,since it is really expensive here in Germany to buy an U.S.A sellect model!
    So please share me what you know ,how it plays ,the weight and position ,the finishes ,the sound ,action.Some pics.And mostly Kelly spesific problems ,or qualities!
    Everything you like to share.
    And please tell me the best place to get it (like Matt or anywhere you appreciate)Since Kellys are not as common as any RRs or KVs or soloists!
    Oh BTW ,i really like to know if you hear differences between the ones with maple top and solid finishes!
    My music is like that www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque
    so you can tell me if the "factory) Kelly sound would fit me or not!
    Thanx alot.Much appreciated!
    DB!
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

I bought my KE2 years ago...my thoughts..

how it plays-VERY well. I love the feel of the neck. It is easily my fastest playing guitar. The action can be set low if you want, although I don't keep it tooo low as I like a little bit of "digging my fingers in" so to say.

the weight-easy to handle. I am a small guy(5'6", 130lbs or so) and I can play with it for hours strapped on. (unlike my old 79 Les Paul silverburst that was well over 10lbs...)

position-IF feels quite comfortable to me, but it might take you a bit to get used to. The back fin is kinda strange at first, but after about a week, it is normal. Heck, it is odd for me to play guitars now without the back fin.

I have also heard of people having problems with the guitar nosediving. I personally do not have that problem-never have. I also have always had a leather strap with a rough backside, so none of my guitars ever moved much once strapped on. If you do encounter nosedive problems..just get a leather strap.

Finish-I have seen many Jackson USA guitars out and about, and all of them have great finishes. The worksmanship is top notch.

Sound-Awesome! I changed out the Duncan JB in the bridge for a Lawerence L-500XL(a real one..bought from Bill) because I did not like the sound of the JB. (personal preferance...you might love the JB) Goes from full gain scream to nice clean tones-don't let anyone ever tell you that Jackson guitars do not sound good clean. When I flip to the neck pickup(duncan Jazz..comes in the guitar), I can get warm, fluid cleans no problem.

Here's the lowdown-
    GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackson USA guitars(no matter which model) are a good buy-PERIOD. They play great, sound awesome and are top notch instruments. I own two Jackson/Charvel Guitars, and as soon as I have the $$$, I will get a custom made. Do not hesititate!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalChef View Post
      I bought my KE2 years ago...my thoughts..

how it plays-VERY well. I love the feel of the neck. It is easily my fastest playing guitar. The action can be set low if you want, although I don't keep it tooo low as I like a little bit of "digging my fingers in" so to say.

the weight-easy to handle. I am a small guy(5'6", 130lbs or so) and I can play with it for hours strapped on. (unlike my old 79 Les Paul silverburst that was well over 10lbs...)

position-IF feels quite comfortable to me, but it might take you a bit to get used to. The back fin is kinda strange at first, but after about a week, it is normal. Heck, it is odd for me to play guitars now without the back fin.

I have also heard of people having problems with the guitar nosediving. I personally do not have that problem-never have. I also have always had a leather strap with a rough backside, so none of my guitars ever moved much once strapped on. If you do encounter nosedive problems..just get a leather strap.

Finish-I have seen many Jackson USA guitars out and about, and all of them have great finishes. The worksmanship is top notch.

Sound-Awesome! I changed out the Duncan JB in the bridge for a Lawerence L-500XL(a real one..bought from Bill) because I did not like the sound of the JB. (personal preferance...you might love the JB) Goes from full gain scream to nice clean tones-don't let anyone ever tell you that Jackson guitars do not sound good clean. When I flip to the neck pickup(duncan Jazz..comes in the guitar), I can get warm, fluid cleans no problem.

Here's the lowdown-
      GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackson USA guitars(no matter which model) are a good buy-PERIOD. They play great, sound awesome and are top notch instruments. I own two Jackson/Charvel Guitars, and as soon as I have the $$$, I will get a custom made. Do not hesititate!
      Thanx chief!
      I did play a Kelly ,and i loved the position ist hangs ,but it was just 30 minutes ,and i really need all opinions on it!
      Your input is much appreciated.Thanx again!(btw ,the Jb wouldn't stay there for a long time.A PATB or BKP MM will be set in the bridge!)

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

I got one in Silver Swirl Finish. 2003.
        Plays great, only problem being in neck diving(slightly, if not have a grip)
        If you just let it hang under its own weight, then quite a bit, but who does that?

Takes roughly a week or less to get used to, if not familiar to kelly's.

I tried DXMG's,RR5's, KE3 and a KVX10V. Needless to say, this blows all of them out of the water,IMO. It's not a "god guitar" compared to the mij guitars, but if they (the mij guitars) had SD Pups, then they would be worthy of competition, as far as price goes.

The neck's finish on the SS finish is extremely smooth...not as smooth as just a plain neck, but close. However, I've never played a plain neck in a while, so I never really had a chance to do a side by side comparison.

The USA select has better build quality over the mij guitars, but the price on the mij guitars is quite tempting. If you bought a KE3 and had seymour duncan pickups, it would be close to a KE2, minus all the MOP binding/Jackson USA logo, tone, etc.)

Neck is thin and great.

Anyway, I never got a chance to try mine out before I bought it....it was only because of the cheap ass price I got it for....I was lucky. I got it....not used to kelly's, and learned how to play it in a week. Sure beats my dad's Gibson Les Paul Custom:P Its night and day.

Great metal guitar, but can go into other styles as well.

Shape is good for metal, but you can play country or classic rock without looking very stupid, like a V will.

Anyway, pics?
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

They are crappy, but some are okay.

Just love swirl finished necks, especially when polished(which it wasn't at the time of the pics)
        Lighting is a bit off as well.

Anyway, good luck, and keep this in mind:
        KE2>KE3 in quality.
        KE3>KE2 in price.
        overall, depends on how much you have to spend...if less than 1000$ cad, buy the ke3 for sure.

Comment

Great guitars. IMHO, most under-rated guitar in the Jackson lineup. About the only criticism I can give - and it's a very minor point at that - is that access to the 24th fret can be a little compromised if you've got meaty hands like me.

I'm currently Kelly-less, though. At least until my custom gets done.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            About the only criticism I can give - and it's a very minor point at that - is that access to the 24th fret can be a little compromised if you've got meaty hands like me.
            MY hands are pretty small and I have the same problem also, not a big deal here either, I can access the 23rd fret very easily but not the 24th

My ke-2 is probably the best jackson I've had the chance to play... How the neck feels and how the guitar looks is a bit subjective but I can say that my kelly has a huge tone... Yeah it has nosedive problems and is really heavy (I remember a gig where I played my kelly until the last song and when I plugged my dinky I felt like I didn't have a guitar on me! huge difference in weight) but that makes the tone bigger I guess...

If you like the neck and the way it looks and if you don't have problems about it being heavy then I'd say go for it

One more thing, you'll have a huge case with your kelly, I hate it being that huge. It's damn difficult to carry!...
            Check my bands!
            www.myspace.com/magicktr
            www.myspace.com/sinif64
            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

OK I officially love silver swirl... never seen it before. It's... it's mesmerizing. LOL
              |My CSG gallery|
              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by JACKS0NESP View Post
                I got one in Silver Swirl Finish. 2003.
                Plays great, only problem being in neck diving(slightly, if not have a grip)
                If you just let it hang under its own weight, then quite a bit, but who does that?

Takes roughly a week or less to get used to, if not familiar to kelly's.

I tried DXMG's,RR5's, KE3 and a KVX10V. Needless to say, this blows all of them out of the water,IMO. It's not a "god guitar" compared to the mij guitars, but if they (the mij guitars) had SD Pups, then they would be worthy of competition, as far as price goes.

The neck's finish on the SS finish is extremely smooth...not as smooth as just a plain neck, but close. However, I've never played a plain neck in a while, so I never really had a chance to do a side by side comparison.

The USA select has better build quality over the mij guitars, but the price on the mij guitars is quite tempting. If you bought a KE3 and had seymour duncan pickups, it would be close to a KE2, minus all the MOP binding/Jackson USA logo, tone, etc.)

Neck is thin and great.

Anyway, I never got a chance to try mine out before I bought it....it was only because of the cheap ass price I got it for....I was lucky. I got it....not used to kelly's, and learned how to play it in a week. Sure beats my dad's Gibson Les Paul Custom:P Its night and day.

Great metal guitar, but can go into other styles as well.

Shape is good for metal, but you can play country or classic rock without looking very stupid, like a V will.

Anyway, pics?
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

They are crappy, but some are okay.

Just love swirl finished necks, especially when polished(which it wasn't at the time of the pics)
                Lighting is a bit off as well.

Anyway, good luck, and keep this in mind:
                KE2>KE3 in quality.
                KE3>KE2 in price.
                overall, depends on how much you have to spend...if less than 1000$ cad, buy the ke3 for sure.
                WOW!That one looks killer.It's really mesmerizing me!Great guitar man!
                Thanx for the info and pics!I am really into Neck-Thru guitars.I still have a Peavey V type with SD PATB2 and sh6 in it ,and i need a bigger ,greater better guitar.I played the KE3 and it does not deliver it.
                The price is the "smallest" problem since i want to buy the ultimate instrument.Musi is my passion so the price compared to car's ,big hollidays and etc. is really reasonable.And the quality is super!
                Thanx again man!You cleared my mind!

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                  MY hands are pretty small and I have the same problem also, not a big deal here either, I can access the 23rd fret very easily but not the 24th

My ke-2 is probably the best jackson I've had the chance to play... How the neck feels and how the guitar looks is a bit subjective but I can say that my kelly has a huge tone... Yeah it has nosedive problems and is really heavy (I remember a gig where I played my kelly until the last song and when I plugged my dinky I felt like I didn't have a guitar on me! huge difference in weight) but that makes the tone bigger I guess...

If you like the neck and the way it looks and if you don't have problems about it being heavy then I'd say go for it

One more thing, you'll have a huge case with your kelly, I hate it being that huge. It's damn difficult to carry!...
                  Thanx next in Line (Nevermore is my Fav band )
                  So i like the looks.I like allmost all Jacksons (except the ole Phil Collen ,the new Lamb of god thing and some old Friedman stuff) but Kelly and King V are my Favorits.I am not shure how big the difference is between a King V and a Kelly ,But the amount of wood ,the Shape and my experience in tone says that there have to be a great difference!
                  I have medium hands and long fingers.And yess ,i need the 24th fret
                  The weight is not a problem!I) think many people play the Kelly like a soloist (position) ,so the balance is not achieved as it made to be.I like the Natural position of Kelly ,and it is one of the main reasons why i want it !
                  Oh and my Parcel (it is hard to call it a case) for my Peavey is allmost as big as the Kelly Case.And i take it everywher with me.Even in Hollydays!
                  Thanx for teh input!And Rock on!

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    Great guitars. IMHO, most under-rated guitar in the Jackson lineup. About the only criticism I can give - and it's a very minor point at that - is that access to the 24th fret can be a little compromised if you've got meaty hands like me.

I'm currently Kelly-less, though. At least until my custom gets done.
                    I am afraid to order a custom one.I don't even know if i live that long

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                      Thanx next in Line (Nevermore is my Fav band )
                      Glad to hear that bro

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                      I am not shure how big the difference is between a King V and a Kelly ,But the amount of wood ,the Shape and my experience in tone says that there have to be a great difference!
                      I have medium hands and long fingers.And yess ,i need the 24th fret
                      The weight is not a problem!I) think many people play the Kelly like a soloist (position) ,so the balance is not achieved as it made to be.I like the Natural position of Kelly ,and it is one of the main reasons why i want it !
                      Oh and my Parcel (it is hard to call it a case) for my Peavey is allmost as big as the Kelly Case.And i take it everywher with me.Even in Hollydays!
                      Thanx for teh input!And Rock on!
                      In fact a Kv-2 and a Ke-2 are really different guitars because the Kv-2 has the speed neck profile with medium jumbo frets, while the kelly has a chunkier neck profile with bigger frets. I don't find V's comfortable sitting, while kelly is as comfortable as a soloist sitting down!

Btw my bandmate thinks his kellys balance very well. He's a tall guy though like 6.4 feet, so if you're also that tall then you may not have nose dive problems either, good luck!
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

GKv-2 has the speed neck profile with medium jumbo frets, while the kelly has a chunkier neck profile with bigger frets.
                        Ke-2, KV-2 and by the way WR-1 all have the same neck profiles (taking into the account that actual profile may differ a bit from axe to axe cos the necks a hand sanded).
                        Because I don't say it
                        Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Hasn't jcmktguy gone over the KV-2/speed neck thing many times?

Comment

Glad to hear that bro

In fact a Kv-2 and a Ke-2 are really different guitars because the Kv-2 has the speed neck profile with medium jumbo frets, while the kelly has a chunkier neck profile with bigger frets. I don't find V's comfortable sitting, while kelly is as comfortable as a soloist sitting down!

Btw my bandmate thinks his kellys balance very well. He's a tall guy though like 6.4 feet, so if you're also that tall then you may not have nose dive problems either, good luck!
                            Man i am 185cm ,and i t fitts me really well!
                            I played a long time just rthm guitar and a KV was my one and only dream ,but now i am an allrounder and make my own music ,so i need something more than a rythm guitar!Kelly will fit very well i think!

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

I've got a ke-2 also. It's excellent. The only minus, it nose dives. And I do use thick leather strap (and nose dives still). The outer strap button need to be moved towards the inside of the back of the body and the problem is solved.
                              My KV-1 IMHO is the best guitar balance-wise (out of all shapes) for standing up playing.
                              For sitting down, I put the KV-1 between my legs and it's just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X