tone differences between trans/solid finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tone differences between trans/solid finishes

DO you hear any difference between trans and solid finished U.S.A Jacksons?
    Does 1/8" maple top change the tone anyway?
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

i have heard no difference in tone from my transgreen SL-1, holoflake SL-1, and blk ghost flame SL2H.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've heard no difference either. Maybe I'm just deaf.
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

What about a guitar made of mahogany witha 3/4" flame maple top? don't matter if transparent or not (for looks), will it have an affect on tone? On mahogany? What will happen?

Comment

Mostly on acoustic tone, though with a top that thick, the bridge post inserts will be seated more in a dense wood, so there will be less dissipation through the wood.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanx guys ,Zerb said the same that he do not hear any difference!I am going with a Trans finish anyway ,but i just wanted to mace it clear

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Mostly on acoustic tone, though with a top that thick, the bridge post inserts will be seated more in a dense wood, so there will be less dissipation through the wood.
              Meaning? What do you mean by "acoustic tone" and "dissipation" ?

Comment

when the guitar is not plugged in

Comment

a thin little veneer isn't going to make any audible difference at all, save for the natural difference in tone between any two guitars - even those of the exact same spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    a thin little veneer isn't going to make any audible difference at all, save for the natural difference in tone between any two guitars - even those of the exact same spec.
                    I think you're right!

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                      DO you hear any difference between trans and solid finished U.S.A Jacksons?
                      Does 1/8" maple top change the tone anyway?
                      it is not 1/8" (except for the SL2H MAH and maybe PC1)
                      Because I don't say it
                      Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                        Meaning? What do you mean by "acoustic tone" and "dissipation" ?
                        The acoustic tone is the "not-plugged-in" tone.

"Dissipation" is what happens to the vibrational force of the string. When the string is plucked, the physical motion force of the string (vibration) is transferred through the saddles to the bridge to the bridge posts to the inserts and then to the guitar body. If the bridge post inserts are mounted in a porous body wood like mahogany, it absorbs the vibration and thus the microscopic reflections going on within the body phase one another out.
                        If the inserts are mounted in a denser wood like maple or alder, the vibration is bounced out of the body. This is also why harder woods have a brighter acoustic tone.

Get 2 soda cans and tie a string to each one and pull the string tight, and have one person speak into one can while the other person listens to the other can.
                        Now get 2 heavier-weight cans, like you would find peas or corn or some other vegetables in, and do the same thing.

You'll notice the vegetable can gets a clearer sound than the soda cans, because the soda cans are a softer material, and thus more of the vibration is dissipated through the can, whereas the denser cans reflect more of the signal back into the string.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This y'all is redneck physics, 101.
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

but 1/8" maple top is enough to add sone brightness, basically it's a compromise between maple top contribution to the tone AND weight. Maple is a hard dense wood and one of the heaviest.

There's no need in such top in most of USA modles because maple neckthrus add enough maple to the body already
                            Because I don't say it
                            Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              The acoustic tone is the "not-plugged-in" tone.

"Dissipation" is what happens to the vibrational force of the string. When the string is plucked, the physical motion force of the string (vibration) is transferred through the saddles to the bridge to the bridge posts to the inserts and then to the guitar body. If the bridge post inserts are mounted in a porous body wood like mahogany, it absorbs the vibration and thus the microscopic reflections going on within the body phase one another out.
                              If the inserts are mounted in a denser wood like maple or alder, the vibration is bounced out of the body. This is also why harder woods have a brighter acoustic tone.

Get 2 soda cans and tie a string to each one and pull the string tight, and have one person speak into one can while the other person listens to the other can.
                              Now get 2 heavier-weight cans, like you would find peas or corn or some other vegetables in, and do the same thing.

You'll notice the vegetable can gets a clearer sound than the soda cans, because the soda cans are a softer material, and thus more of the vibration is dissipated through the can, whereas the denser cans reflect more of the signal back into the string.

i have a feeling either your talking a physics course or your a teacher in which case i need some tutoring
                              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                              X