Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Jackson, some more questions before I make the order...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Jackson, some more questions before I make the order...

Ok, "I think" I may go with DCGL since they replied with a price pretty fast and this guy Jason replies to my e-mails pretty quick too. Any personal experiences (good and bad) with them? Like, delivery times, quality, etc etc?

Now, as for the "few more doubts" I have...

1) The maple top thing. Would you say it would be "wise" to put a thick (3/4'') flamed maple top on my King V (but it will be painted, so it would just be for "tone", not looks), I mean, is it that much of an improvement so that I can consider it? I'm going for the best, so I really wanna know. Remember, mahogany back and neck.

2) The LSR Tuners. Wil it be a "sin" to have them if I will also get a Floyd? I mean, forget if they're "locking" or not, I mean, the quality of the tuners, the fact that they're 40:1 ratio, etc etc? As for looks, I actually like it, but here's one thing, will the Jackson logo look "smaller" than on a regular headstock with regular tuners? I ask this because Sanctuary's KV1 has a smaller logo (compared to mine at least). Any pics with LSR Tuners on a pointy Jackson headstock beside Sanctuary's will be great, I saw a Blue Demon with LSR's and a Floyd when I did my search, but I can't find the pix anymore, help!

3) Painted headstock. I have this issue going on in my head... will the logo look bad with it? I mean, I will have the standard pearl logo wich looks pretty white, but I was planning on getting the headstock "snakeskin" finished, so, any input on this? I mean, more pix, opinions, etc. Will the pearl look bad in snakeskin?

4) 18 volt series EMG. I will have the 2 battery cavity to run 18 volts but someone said to have them connected in "series", I still don't get this too much, please, explain it to me a bit more guys, benefits, etc.

I need to clear all my doubts before I get down the money, I mean, it's a custom guitar and I have waited my whole life to have it done so I wanna be very careful with EVERY little detail, I'm sure you understand this...

Thanks in advance!

P.D. If possible, If it's not much to ask, try to answer the questions individually so it's easier for me, just if you can guys.

1)from what I've heard, a maple top could add some highs on dark woods like mahogany. but it's just what I'Ve heard. I'm sure other board member have personal experiences there...

3)personally I'd go with something different but MOP there, but I like the idea of grafic-headstock. you're going with the regular greyish snakeskin?
    my first idea would be a black logo maybe?

4) if you wire the batteries in series, you connect it the following way;
    PUs -> Battery1+ -> Battery1- -> Battery2+ ->Battery2- -> PUs.
    this way you're supposed to get a clearer tone, more headroom etc, whereas a parallel setup (both batteries plusses und minusses connected with each other) is meant to extend your batteries life. if you use two this way you won't need to change'em that often.

what you mean is to be found on the left of this ugly painting.

tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

1. Nah, forget the maple. The mahog will have plenty of tone.
      2. Yeah, get the LSRs already! They're unique...logo should be regular sized
      3. Go with the snakeskin HS, that'll look cool.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have bought from Jason at DCGL before; he's a decent guy

Comment

Did you try the dealers here for a second opinion?

Anyhoo, regarding your questions:

#1. The thick maple cap will affect the acoustic tone, but the pickups won't care. EMGs don't really care what you put them in. If you're playing ultra-high-gain Metal, then the body wood won't really matter either.

#2. There's nothing wrong with locking tuners with a Floyd nut. Shorter string changes are great.

#3. The pearl logo will probably be hidden on the snakeskin head. It'll stand out on Copperhead, but on "regular" it will look white.

#4. That's more a matter of personal preference, and may depend on your amp more than anything. IIRC, some guys here with the really high-end amps like Uberschalls and whatnot have stated they hear a distinct difference, while others with "common" amps (Marshalls, etc etc) have said they weren't sure or they heard no noticeable difference in 18v vs 9v.

And now a note of personal opinion, take it however you will.

A "Custom Shop" is only a "once in a lifetime event", if you want it to be. If you're looking at this as something to blow your entire wad on, remember you'll have to live with it for a very long time, and it's going to cost a lot of money, which you probably won't get half of it back if you ever sell it (unless you become a Guitar God, or you get it for less than $1500).
          Neckthrough is nice and all, but of the dozens of guitars I've owned, Jackson makes a darn good bolt-on. It's generally cheaper, too.

Remember, it's probably going to be a year or more before you see this guitar, and in that time your taste in guitars can change drastically. You may find something to "hold you over" between now and then and end up favoring a completely different body style by the time it comes in.

Or you may have an "even better idea" a few months from now but won't be able to pursue it because you've got all your money tied up in one.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or talk you out of it, I'm merely pointing out the things that I thought of when I ordered my Custom Shop 7-string Warrior (any day now ). I went with a bolt-on design to leave myself some financial room, and about a month after placing the order I had another "great" idea, and now I have 2 USA Custom Shop Jacksons that are unique, but I didn't have to be Bill Gates to pay for them.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Leo
            I've got a KV1 with LSR'. The size of the logo is the usual one.
            I love the LSR's myself. They look good. You just need to get the hang of it (which is quite simple) and you're laughin.
            No probs with having them with floyd.
            Don't bother with the maple if you ask me.
            And the batteries have to be in series, so that the voltage is 18 volts. If connected in parallel, the voltage will still be 9 volts which you can get with one battery anyway ,it's just that it'll last longer (like twice as long as with one battery). So, you need'em in SERIES.

Micha's diagram shows it clearly. Left one = series. Right one = parallel.

Regards

Comment

I'm probably going to say things others have already said, so just consider in reinforcement.

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
              1) The maple top thing. Would you say it would be "wise" to put a thick (3/4'') flamed maple top on my King V (but it will be painted, so it would just be for "tone", not looks), I mean, is it that much of an improvement so that I can consider it? I'm going for the best, so I really wanna know. Remember, mahogany back and neck.
              I wouldn't bother with the maple top. It does make a difference tonally (added snap and brightness) but I assume you'll have an ebony fretboard, which trust me will brighten things up PLENTY.

Besides, all mahogany guitars sound awesome.

2) The LSR Tuners. Wil it be a "sin" to have them if I will also get a Floyd? I mean, forget if they're "locking" or not, I mean, the quality of the tuners, the fact that they're 40:1 ratio, etc etc? As for looks, I actually like it, but here's one thing, will the Jackson logo look "smaller" than on a regular headstock with regular tuners? I ask this because Sanctuary's KV1 has a smaller logo (compared to mine at least). Any pics with LSR Tuners on a pointy Jackson headstock beside Sanctuary's will be great, I saw a Blue Demon with LSR's and a Floyd when I did my search, but I can't find the pix anymore, help!
              Honestly, it's a waste and an unnecessary added expense. Yeah, the LSR tuners are great but it's totally overkill/redundant with the Floyd. You don't need 40:1 tuning ratio, because each string is going to move by a few cents as soon as you lock the nut.

That's why Mr. Rose put fine tuners on his bridges.

3) Painted headstock. I have this issue going on in my head... will the logo look bad with it? I mean, I will have the standard pearl logo wich looks pretty white, but I was planning on getting the headstock "snakeskin" finished, so, any input on this? I mean, more pix, opinions, etc. Will the pearl look bad in snakeskin?
              I don't think it would look "bad," but it won't be as high contrast against the snakeskin as a black logo would. I would say "yes" to the matching headstock, though. It's a classier, more custom option and looks cool.

You could still have the pearl logo, and if you're worried about it looking good on the snakeskin you could always see if they would outline the logo in black. That would do the trick.

I don't really use EMGs so I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Comment

Go for the Maple. It WILL cut through the mix better. 3/4" is good.
                Tone will be better also - highs wiill be better and maple will tighten the bass.

Be sure to specify every detail you can think of when ordering a custom.
                Don't take anything for granted.

I also agree with Newc. Jackson makes one of the best bolt ons.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[quote=Adam;804521You don't need 40:1 tuning ratio, because each string is going to move by a few cents as soon as you lock the nut.

you could always see if they would outline the logo in black. That would do the trick.
                  [/quote]

some really good points here adam!!
                  leo; what he said!!
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Wow, thanks for the support.

See, I like the idea of the painted headstock but I also love the Pearl logo, actually I wouldn't have it without the pearl logo, so, my question is, are you sure about those contrast issues? I mean, when I see my KV2's logo, it does look pretty white, so actually I guess it would be really cool to see a pic of it or something. Or maybe, I could ask for the snakeskin to be a a bit darker than usual, just a bit, so the pearl logo will stand out. Heeeeeeelp! I really want both features actually just as they are, BUT, I want the logo to be seen clearly, as on my current KV2. Maybe I should just have the headstock black

Comment

I'd put my bets on a black logo to make it stand out on top of the snakeskin. With a spotted pattern like that it needs a high contrast logo, solid black or white depending on the grey level of the skin, of course. Not sure if outline will look good, maybe a shade.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        #3. The pearl logo will probably be hidden on the snakeskin head. It'll stand out on Copperhead, but on "regular" it will look white.
                        What about the Brown Python?

Comment

Working...
                        X