Adjusting to new guitars/buying them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting to new guitars/buying them

I have finally got a USA jackson! I drove to the nearest guitar center (about 2 hours away) on saturday after hearing that they had a new black sl2h and brought it home. It's a lot of money to me, but the thing is absolutely gorgeous. The problem: it naturally feels a bit different than the rr3 i have been playing exclusively for the last three years. My wrist hurts a little bit, but I don't know what to do since it may be just because I have been playing so much more since getting it, but then again it is possible that the neck/balance/fit just isn't right for me, isn't it? Could I just be getting adjusted? Im sad to be considering the guitar center return policy, this is just such a beautiful and solid guitar, but I can't keep from wondering if i would be more comfortable on the dk2m i also tried out (I couldn't live without the real floyd rose after this experience though). Or maybe I should take a chance ordering an rr1, or waiting still longer to play one. the dk2m was really slick but i love USA jacksons now! help me please!

It's most likely just taking time to get adjusted to the different neck profile (backshape). The RR3 and DK2 will be similar, but a USA RR1 will be thinner - possibly thinner than the SL2H.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Give it a couple weeks

Comment

It's true, I haven't given it enough time i guess.

Comment

I had the same thing happen when I bought my KE2. I had been playing my Charvel 550XL(still have it!) and the neck just felt...strange.

After a bit of playing, I adjusted. Now, I prefer the KE2 to the 550XL.

Comment

You might have to adjust your strap length a bit, because the strap button location and overall balance of a Rhoads versus a Soloist is considerably different. I went from the Dinky/Soloist style to a Rhoads and King V, and it just didn't work out for me in the long run. I tried two different Explorers with the same result. Even the Les Paul body style felt wrong to me. The way the guitars "fit" took a lot of getting used to, and ultimately I couldn't get comfortable with non-Strat shapes.
            sigpic

Comment

dude you just got to get used to the guitar.

Comment

i cant play gibbys slim taper or wizard necks because of that. some other necks i cant play or i get pains in my wrists & forearms. pain is bad.

Comment

First off, congrats on the new sl2, way to go, nice score.
                  IMO, the jet black jackson's sl1's and sl2's are gorgeous.
                  Secondly, as everybody else has already said, keep playing it and in time you'll adjust. I'm saving up for my first Jackson too. I hope to get a jet black sl1 or the natural wood look version.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the posts. I thought i'd follow up and say that I caught a ride back to guitar center with a friend this last saturday, thinking i might exchange for a dk2m. I was in when they opened the doors, so i had a few hours to play by myself before it got really noisy and after trying out many more guitars i decided to keep the sl2h. there were things about it i didnt notice before, and there is definitely a difference to go with the higher price. proportionate? maybe not, but it's too sexy! i was having trouble bending on it also, which i found to be because the action was too low, and the other strings were slipping under my fingers instead of being pushed away. I never thought you could have action that was too low without hearing obvious buzzing, awesome! The sl2h is also quieter than the cheaper guitars, and with my 5150 combo, every little bit counts. I could go on... but you guys already know. im happy

Comment

Working...
                    X