Just bought a new PC-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the topic of strings,

As I mentioned earlier, I received the PC1 with 12 - 52's tuned in D. Now that I have tuned up to EADGBE, the Floyd Trem is really being pulled forward. As I have never really experimented with string gauges, I have never had this happen.

To level out the trem, is it just a case of adjusting springs, or do I need to have this professionally set-up for E tuning with heavier strings?
    "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

it shouldn't have moved that much. you should be able to just adjust the springs. that is always the - about the floyd rose. i have the problem even when i change string brands. it'll take a little time, but you can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesaboog View Post
        On the topic of strings,

As I mentioned earlier, I received the PC1 with 12 - 52's tuned in D. Now that I have tuned up to EADGBE, the Floyd Trem is really being pulled forward. As I have never really experimented with string gauges, I have never had this happen.

To level out the trem, is it just a case of adjusting springs, or do I need to have this professionally set-up for E tuning with heavier strings?
        Heavier strings have more tension and will pull up on the trem. To level you just tighten the springs by screwing in the spring claw until the trem is level. The spring claw is in the trem route on the back of the guitar and is what the springs are attached to. There are generally two wood screws holding the spring claw in place. As you tighten these, it moves the claw toward the neck side of the route, tightening the springs and pulling the trem down. You can also add a spring (most guitars come with three installed, but have room for five) and then adjust until the trem is level. More springs gives a stiffer feel than fewer springs with both adjusted for a level trem.

If you are just tuning to E with 12-52's, try some bends on the G and B strings. You'll feel like you have piano strings installed.

Comment

You may also have to adjust the intonation with different string gauges. But first adjust the springs and see how it is.
          Last edited by vondran; 12-09-2006, 03:42 AM.

Comment

remember as you tighten the springs, the pitch will also rise as the trem comes back down. So don't forget to the let out some string as you go. Otherwise, you'll level the trem and find yourself tuned up to G or something (providing your high E doesn't snap first)

So tighten the claw, loosen the strings, retune. Repeat until trem is level and strings at desired pitch.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by vondran View Post

If you are just tuning to E with 12-52's, try some bends on the G and B strings. You'll feel like you have piano strings installed.
              Thanks for the help guys. Funny how after playing so many years on Floyd equiped guitars, I've never had to adjust trem springs.

Yeah vondran, that's what it felt like when I first got the guitar as I do bend a lot. But I am already getting used to it. My finger strength is building and I am bending these heavier strings pretty easily now...it feels normal. But now when I go to play a guitar with 9's, it feels like the strings are playing themselves...so effortless. For me, I am finding, that I like the different string gauge options in my different guitars. A) because of the different tonal qualities, more options and variation B) because the heavier strings help strengthen my fingers and helps me play better.

In the past, I've always played 9's and 10's.
              "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Working...
              X