Danny Spitz XTRR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Spitz XTRR

So I got a new toy This is Danny Spitz's solid quilt maple XTRR, as used on the "Persistence of Time" and "Sound of White Noise" tours. It was also used in their appearance on Married With Children, and probably in several videos - I'm pretty hopeless, but Jani knows which ones I worked out that it's #4 in my holy grail list (beaten only by Spitz's Ninja Turtles XTRR, Adrian Smith's white strat and Spitz's Turtles Soloist), so yeah, this guitar is a really big deal to me!

The construction is not what I'd originally assumed it to be: The guitar has solid quilt maple wings, but the neck is plain maple, with a thick quilt veneer on the top and bottom of the centre section of the body to preserve the 'figured' appearance. I assume this is because quilted wood is not recommended for necks as it's not stable enough, so this construction was the best compromise of function and appearance.
    Here's some pics - they're not great as it's dark here and I had to borrow a digital camera, but you can get the point. Decent pics will follow…..

Watch this space for another couple of very cool scores!
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Congrats Ian!!! Awesome Score!!!

Comment

Awesome.

I wonder if I´ve got my facts straight, since I thought his Turtle Jacksons were destroyed in a fire or something along those lines... you sure this one shouldn´t actually be no.2 on your grail list?

Comment

Holy Shit! Sweet axe. I grew up drooling over Spitz's Jacksons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
          I wonder if I´ve got my facts straight, since I thought his Turtle Jacksons were destroyed in a fire or something along those lines... you sure this one shouldn´t actually be no.2 on your grail list?
          There's some conjecture about which of Danny's guitars (if any) were destroyed in the studio fire which happened while they were recording Persistance of Time (which came out in August 1990). My guitar was ordered in March 1991 and Jani's equivilent is believed to have been ordered in September 1990.

The pic below shows both the turtles guitars and Danny's 'figured' guitars at the same time - it's difficult to see if the guitar by Danny's left leg is mine or Jani's though! Given Jani's wasn't ordered until September 90, logically the pic can't have been taken until at least Oct 1990. Still, given the presence of either Jani's or my guitar (or maybe both, as the head at the bottom left could be the other), the pic was after the studio fire, so the Turtles guitars can't have been destroyed in that incident.

Also, in the commentray on the Anthrology DVD, someone says "wonder where that guitar is now", and Danny replies that "it's probably in a Hard Rock somewhere"…..

Also, here's the pic from the Jackson website….

Last edited by neilli; 11-28-2006, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight! And good luck hunting those turtles!

Comment

Sweet! But weren't Dan's guitars just known as a Dinky Rhoads and are still a different size than the XTRR anyway?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very cool score. Congrats. That is a nice looking guitar.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  weren't Dan's guitars just known as a Dinky Rhoads and are still a different size than the XTRR anyway?
                  Yeah, Danny's guitars were known as 'Dinky Rhoads', as it was prior to the XTRR designation. The work order is for an RR, but states wing 3" shorter

Jani did a diagram comparing his Spitz guitar with an RR and an XTRR (among others), and it did seem from that picture that the XTRR had a slightly different lower wing as well. The story I got from Mike Shannon was that Spitz ordered a smaller RR, so they just cut the bevels off a normal Rhoads and then re-bevelled the edges. I think this might have just been the top wing as the bottom isn't that much smaller.

Comment

Cool one. Congrats.

Comment

Wow, what a score!! Congrats.

Did he straighten out the Floyd arm?

Comment

Congrats, that's a really nice guitar! I also really like the Ninja Turtle RRs.
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
                          Did he straighten out the Floyd arm?
                          Not sure, but it seems thicker than normal as well....

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
                          Congrats, that's a really nice guitar! I also really like the Ninja Turtle RRs.
                          Thanks, and me too. If only we knew where they are now

Comment

Sweet! Congrats on finding one of your holy grails.

Comment

That guitar is so beautiful! Congrats Ian!
                              My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X