1985 rhoads, whats it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
    I guess most guitarists are just creatures of (lazy) habit. Having said that, why does everyone like Floyds when it takes so long to set them up in the first place?

Ladies and gentlemen - I present to you, IRONY!

:ROTF:
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Death View Post
      MOPAR and JACKSON = Great combo!
      yes, yes it is

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Ladies and gentlemen - I present to you, IRONY!

:ROTF:
        The idea being that Floyds are more common and better understood. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Kahlers. Typical response seems to be "I have a problem with my guitar, it must be the trem...Kahlers are the suck". When in reality, (usually) all that's needed is a bit of research and a fresh setup...
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

[quote=Sanctuary;831800]It's probably got nothing to do with trem. Usually it's the nut end that's the issue. quote]

This is most likely your issue. The Kahler'd Jacksons come with a 'behind the nut string lock'. The plates in these are known to get grooves in them, and when that happens, the E, B, & G strings sometimes don't get locked as the groove is deeper than the diameter of the string.

The other issue is the nut itself, sometimes the strings hang up in the nut. Make sure the slots are clean. You can put graphite powder (pencil lead) in the slot to act as a lubricant (or get a product called "nut sauce" for this purpose.

After the above, double check the two main bearings that the cam rotates on. You can use some thin oil (like 3-in-1) on them. Also check the saddle rollers. They get stuck too. WD-40 seems to loosen them, then use the 3-in-1 oil.

Kahlers are more complicated, so most people shy away from them. The design is great, when you use the bar, the strings always stay the same height above the fretboard (vs going up and down with floyd), and you can individually adjust the string height of each saddle and also the string spacing of the saddles.

Check all the above and you'll be happy. Don't swap the kahler for a floyd on this guitar. For reference, my 1985 V:
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...dsRedclose.jpg

Comment

What he said! x100!! Nice Rhoads mate.

Comment

Kahler trems are great, but keep them well lubed or they will not perform well.

Nice screen name! I have two 1969 Chargers myself.

Comment

I'd say leave it alone. btw, you have some nice guitars.

Comment

Changing the strings won't fix anything, but it will allow to to check a few things:

1) Make sure the locking nut plates are not grooved. If they are, replace them.

2) Make sure the saddle rollers are not binding. If they are, try simply oiling them first. Often though you'll have to completely remove the rollers by tapping out the pin and cleaning it really well.

I have five different Kahler trems each around 20 years old, and these have been the only issues I've had with them. Other issues I've heard of with Kahlers are that the springs might wear out or the main cam might start to bind, but that's never happened to any of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    1) Make sure the locking nut plates are not grooved. If they are, replace them.
                    Instead of replacing them, you can just reverse the plates and use the side that is un-grooved.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                      It's probably got nothing to do with trem. Usually it's the nut end that's the issue. quote]

This is most likely your issue. The Kahler'd Jacksons come with a 'behind the nut string lock'. The plates in these are known to get grooves in them, and when that happens, the E, B, & G strings sometimes don't get locked as the groove is deeper than the diameter of the string.

The other issue is the nut itself, sometimes the strings hang up in the nut. Make sure the slots are clean. You can put graphite powder (pencil lead) in the slot to act as a lubricant (or get a product called "nut sauce" for this purpose.

After the above, double check the two main bearings that the cam rotates on. You can use some thin oil (like 3-in-1) on them. Also check the saddle rollers. They get stuck too. WD-40 seems to loosen them, then use the 3-in-1 oil.

Kahlers are more complicated, so most people shy away from them. The design is great, when you use the bar, the strings always stay the same height above the fretboard (vs going up and down with floyd), and you can individually adjust the string height of each saddle and also the string spacing of the saddles.

Check all the above and you'll be happy. Don't swap the kahler for a floyd on this guitar. For reference, my 1985 V:
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...dsRedclose.jpg
                      Thanks ALOT for info!
                      Last edited by ambitotpuphang; 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X