anybody get your Custom lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody get your Custom lately?

Just curious. I know theres a bunch of people that have them on order here and havent seen any arrive recently.

I know the shop is busy with Namm but I crave new Custom shop guitar pron

I'm guessing my order (a Demon WO#2141) is going on 14 months roughly. I've often wondered how much time it actually takes to build such a guitar ( if there was no waiting time or backlog) Because If I'm going to paint a painting it wouldnt take a year unless it was the Sistine Chapel

I'm not trying to be an A-hole ,just honestly curious what a realistic time for building is if there are no other initial factors holding production back.

Believe it was Newc that had one that was basically finished but just needed pickups installed.

So who else is waiting? lets grab a beer and stare at the front door.
    Last edited by Mikernaut2; 12-12-2006, 11:10 AM.

hey, you're pretty close to my WO# (2142).
    AFAIK mine should be done already, but it seems to take a while till they actually ship them out to the dealers...

but I've been wondering about your question too. you gotta be patient for sure. not really easy sometimes...
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Realistic time for building?

Well, my semi-custom Jackson Stars Rhoads took exactly 3 months to be build and 4 days to be shipped from Japan to Germany.
      I know QuantumRider was quoted 6 months wait time for his semi-custom Soloist (so at that time there might have been more backlog).
      However these are not real customs (or handmade for that matter).

The Ran custom shop used to quote about 4 months wait time back when I was interested in getting a custom from them.

Of course I don't know if it's a fair comparison between the Jackson USA custom shop and the Japanese factory or the (still pretty small) Ran custom shop....
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Received a custom Charvel strathead a few weeks ago. That was smooth.

I've also got a custom Kelly that's been "done" for nearly two months now, yet still hasn't shipped. That routine has happened to myself and several others before. That problem seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes not. But when you get a "miss", it's pathetically long like this. With all due respect, their inventory/shipping folks need to get their s**t together.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Received a custom Charvel strathead a few weeks ago. That was smooth.

I've also got a custom Kelly that's been "done" for nearly two months now, yet still hasn't shipped. That routine has happened to myself and several others before. That problem seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes not. But when you get a "miss", it's pathetically long like this. With all due respect, their inventory/shipping folks need to get their s**t together.
          I would say so considering how much a CS costs. I know I have bitched about that a lot but truth be told I wouldn't mind paying the asking price if I didn't have to wait like 12 months just to get it.
          I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

Comment

Originally posted by KLNowak View Post
            I would say so considering how much a CS costs. I know I have bitched about that a lot but truth be told I wouldn't mind paying the asking price if I didn't have to wait like 12 months just to get it.
            Well, you should probably just get over that. It has taken about 12 to 18 months to do a custom shop order since forever. I ordered my first custom Jackson in 1985, and it took over a year even way back then. Not likely to change any time soon, and it is worth the wait anyway.

However, as I mentioned above, it is ridiculous that (hit or miss: sometimes, but not always) a guitar can be done, and it just sits in the warehouse or whatever for months - literally! - waiting to be shipped. That's just inexcusable. And this is a relatively recent problem that has only cropped up in the past year or two.

I received word that the guitar has shipped now, though. So hopefully I'll see it soon.

Comment

Don't kid yourself about the "handmade" thing. If you saw the Made In America episodes featuring both Gibson and Fender, they do multiple bodies on a huge robotic router (yes, the USA models) that cuts the body shape, routes the cavities, and even does the body contours.

For custom body shapes like my War Angel and 7-string Warrior, they might push the body around a mill by hand and run the router by hand, but John Walker did say something about Jackson getting updated machinery when they moved to Corona, so it's a safe bet that they've got robots doing the standardized work, and I'm sure the JacksonStars are done the same way.

At any rate, my 7-String Warrior (that was only needing pickups and the trem back in August) should be on its way to Matt in a week or so. I can't understand the holdup myself - he got in 2 shipments since then so surely it wasn't a freight issue (i.e. waiting till the dealer has a large enough shipment so they can send more for one low price). I'm hoping the delay was on G&G's part to make the case, and I really hope my guitar isn't being used on a Jackson employees gigs.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Anyway...
                Post pics you have from the customs(you˙ll get or have already) cause
                you know
                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Note the month on the calendar behind the guy. August. What's missing? One pickup, the trem, the strings, and tuners. It takes me, an untrained hobbyist, roughly 20 minutes total to wire 2 pickups, 2 knobs, a 3-way switch, all grounding wires, install a Floyd, tuners, string it up, tune it up, and set the intonation. It takes trained professionals 3 months?

Wish I'da saved some vacation days, I could flew out and finished it up myself.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

It looks killer but, that really sucks...
                    I think maybe that`s why people say
                    custom guitars from Jackson aren`t anymore
                    this what they used to be or I better should say
                    the service...
                    Anyways I got my import and and I love it
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Even though it sounds like it, I'm certainly not trying to bash Jackson - yet. It's decent of them to take the time to send a progress pic, but with this veil of secrecy over the entire process, they really shouldn't be surprised when someone says "dude, you sent me a pic 3 months ago of a painted, finshed, playable guitar, where is it?". There's a fine line between paranoia and trade secrets; Whether you wind strings by hand or by RoboTuner is irrelevant.

All I wanted to know was why - exactly, and with great detail - a guitar that appeared to be 30 minutes away from being put in the case and trucked to the dealer 3 months ago is still not in my hands, but rather "coming next week". Labor dispute? Fire? Flood? Everyone get the clap? Terror alert?

Maybe Jackson needs to go back to not sending progress pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Note the month on the calendar behind the guy. August. What's missing? One pickup, the trem, the strings, and tuners. It takes me, an untrained hobbyist, roughly 20 minutes total to wire 2 pickups, 2 knobs, a 3-way switch, all grounding wires, install a Floyd, tuners, string it up, tune it up, and set the intonation. It takes trained professionals 3 months?

Wish I'da saved some vacation days, I could flew out and finished it up myself.
                        Nice man! Is the back of the neck/body going to look the same or is it black?
                        Maybe the Floyd wasn't installed because they were waiting on the 7string neck pickup to come in(I doubt it but it's just a thought). You know they had the 7 string Floyd because the nut is installed. 7 Tuners? hmm GET TO WORK! haha

Comment

Maybe Jackson needs to go back to not sending progress pics?
                          Shhhush! This may be why we're no longer seeing updates to the custom shop gallery on the Jackson & Charvel web pages, ya dimbulb!

Comment

Note the month on the calendar behind the guy. August. What's missing? One pickup, the trem, the strings, and tuners.
                            The calendar in my office says 2001. When did you recieve the picture?

Comment

I'm hoping the delay was on G&G's part to make the case, and I really hope my guitar isn't being used on a Jackson employees gigs.
                              Your guitar's going to NAMM first. Expect to see pics of it there. :ROTF:
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X