No announcement yet.

anybody get your Custom lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could accept the NAMM thing - AS LONG AS I"M INFORMED BEFOREHAND!

This ain't the CIA fer crying out loud!

And the back of the neck is maple - it's a bolt-on, and from what I've heard, it's the first-ever bolt-on 7-string Warrior.

I doubt the pickups are the problem - I just ordered a set of custom Duncans and had them in my hands in less than 2 months, and they were "from-the-ground-up" customs - Distortion, Custom, and Jazz in the Lil/Jr format. The 7-string pickups are a Distortion and Custom.

Max - I got that pic in August of this year.
    Last edited by Newc; 12-16-2006, 08:56 AM.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Don't kid yourself about the "handmade" thing. If you saw the Made In America episodes featuring both Gibson and Fender, they do multiple bodies on a huge robotic router (yes, the USA models) that cuts the body shape, routes the cavities, and even does the body contours.

For custom body shapes like my War Angel and 7-string Warrior, they might push the body around a mill by hand and run the router by hand, but John Walker did say something about Jackson getting updated machinery when they moved to Corona, so it's a safe bet that they've got robots doing the standardized work, and I'm sure the JacksonStars are done the same way.

At any rate, my 7-String Warrior (that was only needing pickups and the trem back in August) should be on its way to Matt in a week or so. I can't understand the holdup myself - he got in 2 shipments since then so surely it wasn't a freight issue (i.e. waiting till the dealer has a large enough shipment so they can send more for one low price). I'm hoping the delay was on G&G's part to make the case, and I really hope my guitar isn't being used on a Jackson employees gigs.

Would this depend on whether it's a custom shop piece or USA select? On my custom, I received a portfolio with pics of Santana working on it from big block of Koa all the way until the end.

Comment

15 months and still waiting. Maybe I'll forget about it, but not threads like this one, that remind me I'm still waiting
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

18 mos. and waiting. I'm reminded that I am still waiting.

Comment

Early this year I ordered a custom soloist, had it in my hands in roughly 5 months, had to send it back and then in July was told they were already starting on my replacement and haven't heard a word since.

I've "heard" that they do things in batches. If you order a Soloist and they are building soloists at that time, you'll probably receive it pretty quick, but if you order a warrior or other odd shape you won't get it for a good while until they start building those or odd shaped axes.
            Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

My recent CS order took over 2 years from order to delivery with a rebuild thrown in to make things last longer. Part of the delay was the sitting in limbo waiting to be shipped for months on end. No explantion ever provided.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                My recent CS order took over 2 years from order to delivery with a rebuild thrown in to make things last longer. Part of the delay was the sitting in limbo waiting to be shipped for months on end. No explantion ever provided.
                Was it worth the excessive wait or do you feel it would have been quicker and better to just buy off the shelf?
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                  Would this depend on whether it's a custom shop piece or USA select? On my custom, I received a portfolio with pics of Santana working on it from big block of Koa all the way until the end.
                  If it's a custom body shape they do not have a template for, then I've heard they are cut by hand. I was told they don't have a template for the 7-string Warrior body (which is odd, since they've had other 7-string Warriors, but those were neck-through).

My War Angel was probably done entirely by hand as well, since they would not have had a template.

But if you order a custom Soloist (reverse head, special inlays/body wood, etc) then I'm assuming they would do those on the machines.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

My guess is that the more close to a stock looking model, the faster you'll get it...

For example, if you want a guitar with just different tonewoods, pickups and maybe a special finish, I don't see how long could that take, I mean, it's almost the same thing.

Comment

Going on uh almost 15 months for mine. It was a archtop death angel though so that would have probably been done by hand. Still way back in June I had a picture of the guitar assembled but unpainted. So all the woodworking was done a long time ago.

You guys are lucky that you get updates, all I got was the one pic from the website. I had sent Matt asking if he could get any word on how the color came out (it was a custom finish) but no response which I took to mean that there is nothing to tell. I'm fine waiting I guess, I've waited this long so I can go a little longer. I do wanna know how the finish came out though.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                        My guess is that the more close to a stock looking model, the faster you'll get it...

For example, if you want a guitar with just different tonewoods, pickups and maybe a special finish, I don't see how long could that take, I mean, it's almost the same thing.
                        Actually different woods have different physical properties once you start cutting them. Oily woods take longer because they can gum up a blade or sander or other cutting/shaving tools more than "dry" woods.

Then there's the fact that certain pieces of wood stock may already be reserved for an order, and they may either have to wait for more to come in or they have to clear out the pile of current "in-process" and "in-waiting" orders to make room for new stock.

Comment

Working...
                        X