Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 rhaods sounds different than newer jacksons, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 rhaods sounds different than newer jacksons, why?

Hi, I have noticed that my 85 rhoads sounds different than my 2001 soloist and 2001 kelly. All three guitars have the same pickups in them, emg 81 and 85's yet the rhoads does not sound nearley as good as the newer jacksons. Why is this? The newer guitars have alot more balls to them and more crunch. The rhoads sounds tinny and lacks low end. Ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

What body woods, what trem system? Also, try the 85 in the bridge for more balls, and the 81 in the neck.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I dont know what the rhoads is made out of, my guess is whatever was factory back then, same with the newer models. Both the soloist and the kelly are usa selects, and the 81's in the bridge and they both sound fantastic. Oh and both usa's have a floyd. The rhoads has a kahlar.

Comment

Maybe there is something wrong with the pickup or wiring. Have it checked out. EMG's pretty much should sound the same no matter what you put them in, at least that is how I have heard them described here before.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nah, EMGs don't sound the same in everything... they're just more consistent. The older Rhoads is probably made out of poplar instead of alder like the newer ones, but I think they're pretty similar sounding woods. Other people don't like the sound of poplar too much, though.
          Could be the Kahler sucking the tone.
          Then again, some people say the same thing about the Floyd making the tone sound thin.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What size strings are you using?

It's most likely the Kahler.

Here's how a Kahler is built:
            A thin brass roller mounted on a thin metal pin that sits in a thin metal saddle assembly that is screwed onto a thin metal saddle base that is mounted on a hollow metal bar that is mounted to a sturdy steel base.

How do you expect it to sound beefy when the strings have no solid contact with anything?

Is it a Kahler trem or a flatmount non-trem unit? If it's non-trem, and you really want to keep the guitar, take it to someone who can put a tuneomatic bridge on it and enjoy your new tone. If you're worried about resale value, the Kahler instantly limits the number of potential buyers who will rape you on the price just so they can brag how they scored an 85 RR for cheap.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Not to insult you or anything but did you change out ALL the electronics in the 85' when you put in the emgs? Battery fresh? My experience with emgs has been that they sound pretty much the same in any guitar I have put them in.
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                EMG's pretty much should sound the same no matter what you put them in, at least that is how I have heard them described here before.
                Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                My experience with emgs has been that they sound pretty much the same in any guitar I have put them in.
                I knew I'd heard it before.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  What size strings are you using?

It's most likely the Kahler.

Here's how a Kahler is built:
                  A thin brass roller mounted on a thin metal pin that sits in a thin metal saddle assembly that is screwed onto a thin metal saddle base that is mounted on a hollow metal bar that is mounted to a sturdy steel base.

How do you expect it to sound beefy when the strings have no solid contact with anything?

Is it a Kahler trem or a flatmount non-trem unit? If it's non-trem, and you really want to keep the guitar, take it to someone who can put a tuneomatic bridge on it and enjoy your new tone. If you're worried about resale value, the Kahler instantly limits the number of potential buyers who will rape you on the price just so they can brag how they scored an 85 RR for cheap.
                  its a trem unit.

Damnit that is not what I wanted to hear. I just got that bridge working good, I now I hear its why the guitar doesnt sound good. That sux I dont know what to do. I dont really want to modify it because it is all original and in mint shape.

Comment

Not to insult you or anything but did you change out ALL the electronics in the 85' when you put in the emgs? Battery fresh? My experience with emgs has been that they sound pretty much the same in any guitar I have put them in.
                    ya I installed the pickups, new volume pots, and tone pot. The battery is newer than than the ones in the other guitars and they sound good so I would think the battery is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by 69dodgecharger View Post
                      ya I installed the pickups, new volume pots, and tone pot. The battery is newer than than the ones in the other guitars and they sound good so I would think the battery is ok.

Output jack?
                      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Output jack?
                        ya I installed the emg supplied jack.

Comment

Poplar and Alder are tonally identical. I've had both and honestly can't tell you which one was which because they are tonally identical.

Try swapping an EMG out of one of your others - you may have a bunk pickup.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Poplar and Alder are tonally identical. I've had both and honestly can't tell you which one was which because they are tonally identical.

Try swapping an EMG out of one of your others - you may have a bunk pickup.

I may have to try that! Anyone else think its the bridge?

Comment

Hmmmmmm, must be the trem then? Your description of the problem sounded like an output problem to me and those 81's have plenty of that so I would have went there first. Good luck, wish I could be of more help.

Comment

Working...
                              X