Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 rhaods sounds different than newer jacksons, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well the more I play it it sounds like it may be an output problem. I play threw a mesa boogy triple rectifier and my other guitars have so much gain, sustain, and great harmonics. But the rhoads almost sounds like I have the volume turned down on the guitar compared to the soloist and the kelly.

Comment

Bent prong on the jack? I had a San Dimas Jackson where the jeck had to be turned a certain way in the body or else the prongs would make bad contact with the plug.

But I'd do the pickup swap first, just in case.

Next thing I'd check is for stray "hairs" from the ground wires touching a lead wire or connector, then make sure the lead wires are connected properly, make sure there's no bare solder joints - could be touching when the cavity cover is on- then check if there's a problem with the switch (not making good contact, etc).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe some Aqua-Net residue from the 80's shorted the 'lectronics out?

Comment

From your mention of using the EMG supplied jack, I assume you also installed the EMG supplied 2 volumes and 1 tone pot? They will be 25kohm and have "V" or "T" on them. Also, did you do the install yourself? Did your other Jacksons come w/EMGs or did you install those also?

I would double check your wiring and solder joints as Newc suggests. Can you post a picture of your wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
            From your mention of using the EMG supplied jack, I assume you also installed the EMG supplied 2 volumes and 1 tone pot? They will be 25kohm and have "V" or "T" on them. Also, did you do the install yourself? Did your other Jacksons come w/EMGs or did you install those also?

I would double check your wiring and solder joints as Newc suggests. Can you post a picture of your wiring?
            I installed them in all of my guitars, I'll see if I can get a pic up. I guess its possibly that I may have overlooked somthing.

Comment

well one thing I just noticed is the pickups on my other 2 guitars are really close to the strings, and on the rhoads the pickups arent as close, but they are as high up as they will go. Could this be the reason?

Comment

With EMG's being active, closeness usually doesn't matter as much as it does in passive pickups, but that could be part of the problem.
                Can you give us a measurement? What's the distance between pickups & strings on the 'other 2' and what's the distance on the Rhoads?

Also, you say the pickups are as high as they will go. This probably means the spring around the mounting screw is all bunched up solid under the plastic mount ring. Remove the spring and cut some off (say 1/4"), then re-install. This will allow the pickup to go higher. If you need more height, cut off more spring, etc.

Comment

You can also put some foam under the pickups to make them go higher. I had to do that on my string-thru Dinky with EMGs.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well I feel like an idiot. I removed the pickups, cit the springs so they could be raised more and now the guitar sounds fantastic!

Comment

And to think this all started out as a "Kahlers aren't any good" thing!

Glad to see problem solved and welcome to the board!

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                        And to think this all started out as a "Kahlers aren't any good" thing!
                        Like I said. "Always assume the Kahler is the fault".
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I've got an 84 with the Kahler and Duncans.My Rhoads has a much meatier tone than any of the newer ones I've played.

Assuming you have a newer set of EMG's,the problem could even be in that plug in harness,a bad connection on a pin in the pickup,or even a bad pot.
                          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

EMGs do not sound the same in different guitars. After all, they're no different from any other passive pickup except that each passive pickup has an on board amplifier. An 81 sounded much different in a Model 3 than my Warrior or my KV.

Each body shape and wood choice is going to make the same pickup sound different.

EMGs from different years, like a really old one or a brand new one may even sound different. Perhaps the correct pots weren't installed, maybe a battery is low, or maybe your bridge, body shape and wood type are all effecting the overall sound.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Read his post, it's fixed! Just had to raise them up! Glad your all set, I'd rather play an 85' anyway! It's got 26 years of mojo in it!
                              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I like this thread and how you didn't miss the opportunity to bash kahlers

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                                It's got 26 years of mojo in it!
                                Sorry for acting like Ron but 2006 - 1985 = 21 :ROTF:
                                Check my bands!
                                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                                X