Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan pickups in the USA Series

I was wondering...

I had my KV-2 for a couple days with the standard Duncans it came with and I didn't "really" like it, like, I went to Guitar Center for those 2 days and played through Marshalls and Mesas (when I was in Seattle last year) and the pups were like, nothing special, I mean, probably I didn't had a great listen or maybe those pups aren't the most coloured of the bunch.

Now, when I got EMG's on, it was like wow! Besides the gain increase, I noticed much clear articulation, the clean tones are awesome and the distortion too.

Now, for my custom KV 2 which I'm still having a whole brainstorming going since the last spec form I made came out way too expensive (6 grand) for which I chose Duncans (Custom Custom and Pearly Gates) because the guitar design was going towards those BC Rich Mockingbirds you can see at Ed Roman's, and like the Whiskey Breath Rhoads pictured in the Jackson website. I thought from the clips I heard, that those 2 pickups did have an "original" sound.

But now that I'm going to re-group and spec a different KV, I was wondering, should I go with EMG's which I know I like? Or, should I try the Duncans? I mean, I don't know why but I get this idea that passive Duncans are more like the "true stuff" and sounds better or whatever while EMG's are the sterile black sheeps.

I'd like to hear some input on this matter so maybe it gets my ideas straight.

Thanks!

you know what i was thinking the same thing after reading all these threads bashing EMG's. But your right about the clear sound and gain. I wanted to try out some duncans, so i drove over to my local GC and picked up a schecter (very nice guitars) well i played and there crisp and clear with a tube amp but its a diffrent sound than i'm used but i liked it alot
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

emg's 4 v's

Comment

I still haven't heard a guitar make a good clean sound with EMG's, but they do provide a boost with gain settings.
        Anyway, I don't like EMG's that much, no tone, sounds so cold and dead.

Comment

See? That's what get's me confused about pup's.

Some people like me, think EMG's are good or provide a substantial difference or improvement to the sound, and others always use the words sterile and cold.

Now, I personally like EMG's and the regular Duncans didn't do that much of an impression. Then again, I only had them for like 2 days. BUT, I did used to have an Ibanez UV777 which I had it with Duncan Invaders, and, again, it wasn't that much of a difference from, like, the DiMarzios it had originally.

Besides sponsorship, I know a lot of musicians who swear by EMG's, lots, but, I also know and understand that there are an equal lot who love passives, thing is, I've never really heard from them, heard their reasons.

Comment

Hey go with what sounds best to you. I like emg's,sounds like a duncan distortion (to me) but its noiseless which is a big plus. I like the way they look too. Now I pretty much keep whatever is stock in the guitar and use the amp for tones more then the pup,although they're either duncans or emg's.

Comment

Try the Rio Grande Muy Grande & Tallboy set. Once I got those, I replaced all my Duncans & EMGs...

Comment

I have used Duncans for a long time - i liek the JB ok, but I LOVE the sound of a demon. Recently i bought an SL2H from a forum member with a Zakk EMG set in it, i was amazed by the sound thru my Mesa. They sound killer, pumchy and crisp, nice sustain and low end. I too get afraid of the steril thing, but I think that has a lot to do with your style as well. I have heard recordings with the EMG since I got them and it still sounds like me playing, still alive and heavy. So I am tore, I love my demons but I also am starting to really like the EMG's - either way I think you will be just fine!

Comment

I don't know how anyone can describe EMGs as cold and sterile. They are awesome pickups and have tone out the ass. I imagine some people just think it's popular to hate 'em.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

EMG's always have better low end grunt.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                      I don't know how anyone can describe EMGs as cold and sterile. They are awesome pickups and have tone out the ass. I imagine some people just think it's popular to hate 'em.
                      +1. I wish Jackson would use them more often.
                      I also wish they would use DiMarzios more instead of just in the PC1.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like active pickups just not EMG's. I like Emg's bass pickups. But imnot crazy about the hums. I Like the reflex pups so much more. They have more tone and deffinition and charactor then EMG's too bad they went out of business.
                        They just didnt have the backing that EMG does and couldnt compete.
                        The SD's are great pups but just like EMG's arent for everybody.
                        Gil

Comment

More gain yes, clear yes, but more articulate than a lower output passive pick-up I have to diagree with. I don't know what it is but something about high gain pick-ups reduces their articulation.

Comment

Could someone please explain me the 18 volt EMG mod? I remember someone here told me, but I forgot...

Comment

Yea... I heard the samples at the Duncan website, but honestly, even if they sound great, they look kinda weird, I mean, I dunno but it just looks weird, kinda ugly even.

Comment

Working...
                              X