Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Jacksons vs. ESP Custom Shop (Japan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Jacksons vs. ESP Custom Shop (Japan)

Which is better, regarding overall quality and design?
    I'm asking this because i'm having a really hard time deciding between an SL1 soloist and a custom shop ESP KH-2. Now, there is aboslutely no way I can try out the KH-2 locally and compare the two, so i need your opinions on this.

I want the Metallica sound, EMGs, and I think the KH-2 looks sick, and plus it's Hammett
    I've heard great things about it too.

However, the USA soloists have a greater reputation than the ESP.

yes, prior to this year, esp signature models were made in the custom shop in japan.

So again, which has better quality and design? USA jacksons or ESP custom shop guitars?

I won't get into the argument over which one is better. However one key difference is the fret size. I always hated the feel of the XJ frets on my ESP. Even if you can't try a KH, try one of the other MIJ models with XJ frets (most models) to see how they feel. Jackson frets I believe are equally wide but a little less tall and more rounded I think. If you are willing to spend that much $ on a MIJ KH neck-thru why not get a Jackson custom built to your own specs?

Comment

having had both, my vote is USA jackson. nothing really wrong with the ESP guitars - i quite liked mine. i just prefered the feel and top notch quality of the USA jacksons.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

hey guys, thanks for the fast replies.
        Both guitars are in the 1400-1500 price range (new, unplayed, but used).

mark, was there anything specific about the Jackson made you like it better?

Comment

You know, now I'm actually leaning more towards the Jackson.
          It just seems to have that aura of a higher quality instrument.

There's an SL1 on ebay im considering to bid on. New and unplayed 2006.
          Flamed maple top, *drool*
          Trans-black finish, *drool*
          Chrome hardware *drool*
          NECK-THRU!! *drool*
          its a beauty, all right

too bad it ends in about 20 hours.... hope i make my decision by then

Comment

In a word. SL1. If i had to spend 1500 on a guitar it wouldnt be on a Japanese ESP. It would be on a USA Jackson. Period. In my experiences The SL1 has been one of my favorite guitars and i miss mine emensly. I have never owned an ESP but i hvae played some in stores including the Japanese KH. It just didnt feel right to me. Maybe it was theshape of the neck or the set up or what. I just didnt like it. Plus im not a fan of EMG's. I played a SL1 right after and oddly enough it had a worse set up then the ESP but still played better and a more solid feel. String were crusty and rather hi off the board. But it still had a better feel and tone.
            Gil

Comment

I have 2 points of view that both point in the same direction;

1) Most Japanese companies started out and some still continue to produce guitars that are based on American designs, take Ibanez or ESP, and of course the Japanese provide these lots of modifications and features to them that actually make some of the guitars much different than the originals, my guess is, in about 90% of the cases, BUT, still they are copying the basic American design.

2) Sure, quality nowadays and even back in the day, between Japanese and American guitars could not be a good-enough point because some people say they can't actually notice a difference and even some say the Japs are better... not my case. But, yeah, you can get the same electronics and hardware (original Floyd, Duncans, EMG's, Dunlop frets, same tone woods, etc), but in the end there's still something "fishy" to my taste.

For example, I've had my share of Japanese guitars and American guitars, Ibanez, ESP, Fernandes and, Gibson, Fender and Jackson USA. And in all cases, the American guitars won. There's just something special about them it's the feel of the "real thing" if such feeling could exist.

Plus, I wouldn't give much credit to the price of the ESP since they are imported from Japan, that adds a sum of money just because of that, and also, Japan is a much more expensive country than the USA so maybe the same construction and materials could cost even as twice on Japan than in America.

Now, in the particular case of Jacksons, I wouldn't doubt getting one specially compared to a Japanese guitar like ESP. Just look at them, they are VERY complete, they have deluxe standard options like mother-of-pearl inlays and logo, neck-through-body construction,binding, ebony fretboards, an aluminum back plate which is recessed, and a number of cool finishes and graphics which are all top of the line.

Take the M-II or the KH-2 or whatever, they have plastic back plates, dot inlays, decal logo, bolt on (and neck-through in some cases I think too), to me it's a matter of TASTE regarding those little things, but take a moment to check it out, it does sound "cheap", right?

Finally, PERSONALLY I would never use a "signature" guitar (maaaaaaybe and amp, like the 5150, which is now a non-signature, the 6105), why use someone else's gear when you can have your own and even have one made to your exact specs? And, if you play like, covers, and they are METALLICA covers with the copy guitar of Kirk Hammett (even if it's just because it has EMGs) to me, it get's kinda lame... You can get a Dinky that has EMG's standard as well and it comes with a battery cavity and plate, which my guess is the ESP hasn't.

At the end, it's all your personal taste and preference, me, I'd go with the real thing, take a look at the ESP designs... copies of: Jackson, Gibson(specially), I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy, but, I'd like to get the original stuff, specially if in the case of a Jackson is far more superior and better crafted and you wont pay import and other non-guitar related fees, insted, you'd still pay a lot for it, but it will be all muscle.

Comment

That was quite a post!

You'll be glad to know that it completely convinced me to go Jackson. You got me at the part about Japanese-made guitars being more expensive than what they're really worth, with import fees and the economy and all that.

I'm gonna go bid on this guitar tonight or tomorrow morning first thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8316&rd=1&rd=1
                How much do you think it'll go for?

Comment

Thanks!

Hummm... it's a 2006 and it says "un-played", my guess is that this is not a used guitar, maybe some kind of dealer or something, probably it will go for the regular price, or maybe a bit less, can't really say.

Comment

I love my soloist, and that one on ebay is flippin sweet. We may be in a bidding battle on that one

Comment

Originally posted by edma2 View Post
                      That was quite a post!

You'll be glad to know that it completely convinced me to go Jackson. You got me at the part about Japanese-made guitars being more expensive than what they're really worth, with import fees and the economy and all that.

I'm gonna go bid on this guitar tonight or tomorrow morning first thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8316&rd=1&rd=1
                      How much do you think it'll go for?
                      If you look at his other auction for an SL1, there are 2 bids showing $1450, and since the reserve is met on this auction, I would guess his reserve was $1450, so the reserve on the one you are looking at would most probably be similar $1450.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Jackson-SL1...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by 69dodgecharger View Post
                        I love my soloist, and that one on ebay is flippin sweet. We may be in a bidding battle on that one
                        Go'way.

You already have one.

Comment

You're gonna get biased opinions here at the JCF (I wonder why...), but I should point this out...the KH2 is actually made in the same factory as the standard series (note I said factory and not custom shop), unless you're talking about the neck thru KH2, which I think might be in the custom shop, whereas USA Jacksons and custom shop Jacksons are made by the same people with the same material, presumably with the same quality. So in actuality you're comparing a USA Jackson with a standard series ESP with the specs of a particular custom shop.

Comment

http://p222.ezboard.com/2006-Signatu...picID=11.topic

All KH-2s were made in the custom shop until 2006.

Comment

I just don't know.

I like old ESP guitars, like the M-1 Custom I have with crosses for inlays. But I hate the stupid on-the-side blocks they came with back then.

Jacksons with the shark fins just look more aggressive. Look back in Metallica's past when they used to be good, and you'll see Kirk playing a black RR1.

Jackson's just have more "mojo".

Comment

Working...
                              X