Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Jacksons vs. ESP Custom Shop (Japan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackson! American Muscle, like the American muscle car. Power and feel Also, the hardware and electronics are of much better quality IMO.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Look back in Metallica's past when they used to be good, and you'll see Kirk playing a black RR1.
      Small detail, but I think Kirk's was a string thru Custom and not an RR1.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
        I have 2 points of view that both point in the same direction;

1) Most Japanese companies started out and some still continue to produce guitars that are based on American designs, take Ibanez or ESP, and of course the Japanese provide these lots of modifications and features to them that actually make some of the guitars much different than the originals, my guess is, in about 90% of the cases, BUT, still they are copying the basic American design.

2) Sure, quality nowadays and even back in the day, between Japanese and American guitars could not be a good-enough point because some people say they can't actually notice a difference and even some say the Japs are better... not my case. But, yeah, you can get the same electronics and hardware (original Floyd, Duncans, EMG's, Dunlop frets, same tone woods, etc), but in the end there's still something "fishy" to my taste.

For example, I've had my share of Japanese guitars and American guitars, Ibanez, ESP, Fernandes and, Gibson, Fender and Jackson USA. And in all cases, the American guitars won. There's just something special about them it's the feel of the "real thing" if such feeling could exist.

Plus, I wouldn't give much credit to the price of the ESP since they are imported from Japan, that adds a sum of money just because of that, and also, Japan is a much more expensive country than the USA so maybe the same construction and materials could cost even as twice on Japan than in America.

Now, in the particular case of Jacksons, I wouldn't doubt getting one specially compared to a Japanese guitar like ESP. Just look at them, they are VERY complete, they have deluxe standard options like mother-of-pearl inlays and logo, neck-through-body construction,binding, ebony fretboards, an aluminum back plate which is recessed, and a number of cool finishes and graphics which are all top of the line.

Take the M-II or the KH-2 or whatever, they have plastic back plates, dot inlays, decal logo, bolt on (and neck-through in some cases I think too), to me it's a matter of TASTE regarding those little things, but take a moment to check it out, it does sound "cheap", right?

Finally, PERSONALLY I would never use a "signature" guitar (maaaaaaybe and amp, like the 5150, which is now a non-signature, the 6105), why use someone else's gear when you can have your own and even have one made to your exact specs? And, if you play like, covers, and they are METALLICA covers with the copy guitar of Kirk Hammett (even if it's just because it has EMGs) to me, it get's kinda lame... You can get a Dinky that has EMG's standard as well and it comes with a battery cavity and plate, which my guess is the ESP hasn't.

At the end, it's all your personal taste and preference, me, I'd go with the real thing, take a look at the ESP designs... copies of: Jackson, Gibson(specially), I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy, but, I'd like to get the original stuff, specially if in the case of a Jackson is far more superior and better crafted and you wont pay import and other non-guitar related fees, insted, you'd still pay a lot for it, but it will be all muscle.
        I have to agree on almost all points.

To me it´s also a very strong feel thing, I´ve A/B´ed USA Jacksons and ESPs (production and cs, in both cases) dozens if not hundreds of times over the years. And I almost always strongly prefer the way the Jacksons resonate and "let me know exactly what´s going on". The only notable exception I can think of was when I A/B´ed a Hanneman to a stock SL-2H..... but considering the difference in price point, that´s kind of a bit "unfair" to the Jackson

Comment

Did anyone say EMG's? How abou this one? BIN at ca $1350..

"This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

You know, I'm a Jackson fan for life, but ESP makes some damn fine guitars on the high end. I just played Alexi's sig model, and that thing rips.

Comment

Some poeple turn into Japanese guitars because they see their favourite artists do so, but the truth is that they're just some very good sponsors. I mean, just take a second to analyze the artists:

Dave Mustaine: Jackson (now ESP)
              Alexi Laiho: Jackson (now ESP)
              Metallica: Gibson, Jackson (now ESP)
              Slayer(Hannemann): Jackson (now ESP)
              Joe Satriani: Fender (now Ibanez)
              Slipknot: Jackson, B.C. Rich (now Ibanez)
              Max Cavalera: B.C. Rich I even think he invented the Warlock design... (now ESP)

Yeah, Japanese brands offer them sponsor deals that must be great, so that the brand gets known because of them, come on, at least in my case, I only knew ESP existed when I saw James Hetfield hold one, same with Ibanez and Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

Comment

Max Cavalera: B.C. Rich I even think he invented the Warlock design... (now ESP)
                No, he DID NOT. Bernie Rico spun the Warlock design off the Bich. And Neal Moser witnessed it in person.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Oh sorry, my bad, I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, like people where saying that he designed it or something, nevermind.

Comment

Alright, so I won the auction for $1450. Not a shabby deal considering the same guitar would be worth about $1950 in MF or GC (and plus, I couldn't find any with trans-black). So it all looks good, BUT, the seller emailed me this:

"HI THANKS FOR BUYING THE SL1.I WAS JUST LOOKING CLOSE AT IT AND I NOTICED A 3/8 SCRATCH NEAR WHERE THE WHAMMY BAR GOES. ITS ONLY IN THE CLEARCOAT. YOU CAN SEE IT IN THE FRONT STRAIGHT ON PICTURE. THIS CAME RIGHT FROM JACKSON TO NEVER ON DISPLAY. MY SON TOOK THE PICTURES SO I DIDN'T NOTICE TILL NOW. ITS PERFECT OTHERWISE.I CAN KNOCK OFF A COUPLE BUCKS FOR YOU OR JUST VOID THE DEAL. SORRY ABOUT THIS."

Check the scratch out for yourself. It doesn't look too bad. How much should the price be lowered? I was thinking of just throwing in the $35 shipping for free, what do you guys think?

Are scratches like these easy to fix?

Man, this has probably been the most helpful forum for me so far. Keep up the good work

Finally, do Soloists come with a whammy bar?

Comment

Oh sorry, my bad, I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, like people where saying that he designed it or something, nevermind.
                      No truth to it. The Warlock was around long before Max shot to stardom.
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Bump. I would like to settle with a price ASAP.

Comment

If you really want it, go for the free shipping, or maybe find out how much the scratch will cost to fix first before you decide.

Do they come with a whammy bar? I think that's the point of having a trem. If it was a fixed bridge, I'd say no.

Comment

The ebay pictures didn't show a wammy bar, but I guess that was a dumb question anyway.
                            He threw in an extra set of strings along with free shipping.

Comment

Some poeple turn into Japanese guitars because they see their favourite artists do so, but the truth is that they're just some very good sponsors. I mean, just take a second to analyze the artists:

Dave Mustaine: Jackson (now ESP)
                              Alexi Laiho: Jackson (now ESP)
                              Metallica: Gibson, Jackson (now ESP)
                              Slayer(Hannemann): Jackson (now ESP)
                              Joe Satriani: Fender (now Ibanez)
                              Slipknot: Jackson, B.C. Rich (now Ibanez)

Yeah, Japanese brands offer them sponsor deals that must be great, so that the brand gets known because of them, come on, at least in my case, I only knew ESP existed when I saw James Hetfield hold one, same with Ibanez and Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.
                              Well, Scott Ian was endorsed by ESP in the '80s, then he went to Jackson, then he went to Washburn. And Dave Mustaine just left ESP.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cavalera invented the Warlock? lol- I had one before he did.
                                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                                X